OT - Blackhawk vs Super Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Blackhawk vs Super Blackhawk

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I just recently traded for a Blackhawk convertible in 45LC/45ACP and I was wondering what the difference is between the Blackhawk and the Super Blackhawk models.

Also, I've never loaded the 45LC before so I'm thinking of starting with these loads due to the powders I have on hand after gleaning the net.

I have Winchester cases, WLP primers and Hornady 250gr. XTP bullets to start with.

25.8 gr. H-110
23.6 gr. Lil'Gun

Comments..?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Blackhawk vs Super Blackhawk

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444 wrote:I just recently traded for a Blackhawk convertible in 45LC/45ACP and I was wondering what the difference is between the Blackhawk and the Super Blackhawk models.

Also, I've never loaded the 45LC before so I'm thinking of starting with these loads due to the powders I have on hand after gleaning the net.

I have Winchester cases, WLP primers and Hornady 250gr. XTP bullets to start with.

25.8 gr. H-110
23.6 gr. Lil'Gun

Comments..?
If you were going to load heavy loads like that you should have kept the Super BH.
You did not say weather the gun you traded for was a New Model or an Old Model, but that makes no difference. The .45 Colt Blackhawks are built on the 44 Mag frame. The only differences are:

SBH:
Steel dragoon style grip frame
Depending on model, unfluted cylinder
44 Magnum caliber

BH:
Aluminum plow handle grip frame
fluted cylinder
.45 Colt,

Internally, zip, zilch, nada nothing different

WARNING: Ruger is notorious for having undersized and inconsistent chamber throats on their .45 Colt Blackhawks. Before shooting those heavy loads you mentioned have those throats checked and reamed out if needed. Undersized throats will raise pressure and increase felt recoil. They can also affect accuracy and contribute to barrel leading.

Contact Cylinder Smith at: http://www.cylindersmith.com/ Fixing cylinder throats is his speciality. He's also a member here.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

The simplest answer, assuming we are talking blued steel guns, is the Super has a steel grip frame in a larger "Dragoon" shape and the Blackhawk is smaller and is aluminum. The Super has an un-fluted cylinder and and Blackhawk is fluted. The Supers are 44's and yours is a 45 :lol:

There are variations to this answer with different barrel lengths etc.

I have used that bullet and H110 powder in 45 Colt Blackhawks with great results.

My only experience with Lil Gun has been in a 454 Casull, and I say don't use it. It causes pre-mature erosion of the forcing cone. Not sure how it does in the 45 Colt, but I have 3 lbs of it and it is not going into anymore of my guns.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

+1 on the Cylinder Smith. I sent mine off to him and it came back nothing less than perfect. Shoots awesome now, when I do my part.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use the L'il Gun in my .480 SRH, and it shows no problems. This could possibly be due to the stainless steel and a larger gun. I don't really know. The H110 gives me 1100 fps in my 4 5/8 inch barrel blackhawk when loaded at 21.5 grains behind a 300 grain Speer JFP using Winchester WLP primers. It does kick a bit with this combination, but the performance is what I want. The .45 ACP cylinder is a lot of fun when I want to plink.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I actually prefer the BH grip frame to the SBH grip. The squared off trigger guard on the SBH beats the bat snot out of my knuckles.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cnjarvis wrote:I actually prefer the BH grip frame to the SBH grip. The squared off trigger guard on the SBH beats the bat snot out of my knuckles.
Hello ... you must be the only other person in the world besides me that gets beat to heck by that trigger guard. Last time I shot one I ended up bloodied and bruised. I said then .... NO MORE. Full 44 Mags in a Vaquero is OK, but not that square backed Dragoon grip frame.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

J Miller wrote:
cnjarvis wrote:I actually prefer the BH grip frame to the SBH grip. The squared off trigger guard on the SBH beats the bat snot out of my knuckles.
Hello ... you must be the only other person in the world besides me that gets beat to heck by that trigger guard. Last time I shot one I ended up bloodied and bruised. I said then .... NO MORE. Full 44 Mags in a Vaquero is OK, but not that square backed Dragoon grip frame.

Joe
That's why all of mine are Bisleys...end of problem.

BTW, isn't the Super Blackhawk (and OM Vaquero) built on a heavier frame than the Blackhawk (or did they standardize on the larger frame some time ago, except for the NM Vaquero)?

(I also read there are some other minor difference -- e.g., trigger width, hammer width and angle, steel ejector housing, etc.)

From Wikipedia:

Over the years the Blackhawk has appeared in a wide variety of models. These models include:

New Model Blackhawk: Produced in blued steel in .30 Carbine, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .45 Colt,; produced in stainless in .357 Magnum and .45 Colt. Multiple barrel lengths were offered in many of these configurations.

New Model Blackhawk Convertible: The cylinder of a Blackhawk is easily removed, and can be replaced with a cylinder for a different cartridge of the same diameter. Ruger has offered "convertible" cylinder revolvers in .45ACP/.45 Colt, .38-40/.40 S&W/10mm, and .357 Magnum/9mm Parabellum. Other than being sold with multiple cylinders, these firearms are identical to the Blackhawk.

New Model Super Blackhawk: Produced in blued and stainless, with or without a rib for mounting a scope. The Super Blackhawk is built on a heavier frame, and with a specialized grip, in order to more effectively deal with the recoil of the .44 Magnum.

Vaquero and New Vaquero: With the popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting came demand for a single action revolver that was more traditional in appearance. As the standard Ruger Blackhawk departs from the Single Action Army looks due to its adjustable sights, Ruger offered a fixed-sight equivalent to cater to buyers wanting a more traditional appearance. In all other ways the Vaquero was identical to the Blackhawk, though offered in slightly fewer variants.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My SS SBH .44 Mag has a fluted cylinder and rounded triggerguard - 5 1/2" barrel. I think its got the XR3Red grip frame too as the grips interchange with my two Vaqueros and my Single Six. My SS SBH Hunter has the rounded trigger guard but the grip frame seems to be the dragoon size. See below.

Those are mighty hot loads and will give you exciting performance :) The XTP is an excellent bullet and will give great accuracy and excellent on-game performance too.

This reminds me, I need to shoot another Ruger SA family picture - to include my 44 Special BH flattop :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K.,
There is some darn fine guns you have.
Bang for the Buck really hard to beat them SBHs.
I keep forgetting you can get the SS SBH 44mag with fluted cylinders.
Will that one take the Hot loads as well as your Hunter?
Like em all!!!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Thanks, I didn't realize those loads were that hot. I believe the loads I listed are near what Hodgdons website says is a good starting point. I don't want anything really hot.

It's a new model, just a year old or so for those wondering.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Elmer Keith had much input in the design of the Original SBH. And the grip and frame was designed for his large hand. He wanted it called, "The Ruger Dragoon".

I shoot my SBH with full 44 loads and rarely get a knuckle nick. I have large hands.
I just grab with two hands tight and hold on! :D Then let that big frame buck & roar. 8)

I love my 7 1/2" SBH made in 1972.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is also a Super Blackhawk - I don't see much difference in this and my 45 Colt except the aluminum grip.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I had a 1973 superblack .44 and with pretty stout loads it seemed the base pin would pop out some.Why and how do you fix it.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

These are both SBH's but have different trigger guards. Solved the busted knuckle thing by putting a Hogue on the square guard one.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

madman4570 wrote:I had a 1973 superblack .44 and with pretty stout loads it seemed the base pin would pop out some.Why and how do you fix it.
First off, Deerwhacker444, your load of 25.8 Gr H110 with the 250 Hornady is not maximum but you are talking about 1350 fps or so. That's not a woosy load either ;) The max I see is 26.5 grains - 1455 fps. Basically you are loading a 44 mag equivalent there. The Rugers can handle these loads of course but if you just want a good plinking load there are many many other alternatives using W231, Unique, Universal Clays, etc. at around 800 to 950 fps.

Second, Madman4570 - thanks and yes, my SS SBH 44 Mag with fluted cylinders will handle the same pressures as the unfluted cylinder models. :)

Finally the best solution to the popping base pin problem is to get a Belt Mountain oversized base pin with screw lock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=319588
The make these in blue and stainless.

And Old Savage, Old Time Hunter - we all have the same exact model of 44 Mag - guess great minds think alike right? :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Personally, I prefer the Belt Mountain #5 type base pin, as it's definitely easier to grab onto.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville