OT: Has anyone used the HIP GRIP?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Has anyone used the HIP GRIP?

Post by 86er »

I hate holsters. There was a time when I had 10 or more for every handgun I owned. Slowly, I got rid of them. I use a clip draw on a Kahr or I put it in my front pocket. I use a clip draw on a Glock 23. When I have to put the Glock on my belt the one and only holster I like/use is the Holsters Plus. It is the smallest, lightest and simplest. With all this in mind, I would like to carry my Charter Arms Bulldog more often. It has the finger groove rubber grips. I ground them down to meet the frame so they are not so big. I can't stand any of the belt holsters for this gun - I'll keep one to use when I'm fishing but not to carry in the street. I tried an IWB holster but it makes the gun so thick my pants become tight. I could get a clip draw for it but it would be a "stick on" model on this gun. What about the Barhimi Hip Grip? Are they durable? The tab will go over pants, but what about pants and a belt? Are the grips full sized and do they cover the grip on the bottom? Lastly, can you readily get the gun out when necessary? I searched the internet and while I can find the product I cannot find answers to these questions. Any input is appreciated.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Has anyone used the HIP GRIP?

Post by Old Ironsights »

I used the stick-on clip-draw on my SP101 for a bit. It worked fine except it wasn't tuckable.

If you always have a loose covergarment I have no problems witht eh stick-on clip-draw.

Never ued the Hip Grip variant though.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I would also like to see the Barami Hip Grip, along with the Tyler T-Grip adapter on a Charter Bulldog. Has anyone tried that combination?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I have a Charter Undercover set up with a Hip Grip and adapter. It works well, but I prefer a "normal" grip for most uses. I suspect that if I practiced with the rig more it would be fine, but I have a Smith 638 which I prefer so I use that instead.

I carry the Smith in a pocket. The Hip Grip would be much better for getting to when seated.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn18 ... 69/642.jpg

I use it exclusively on my Smith 642, along with the T-Grip. The only way to go!
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I have had one on an old Charter Arms "Off Duty" for years. Works well, but .... the swell on the right side holds my trigger finger at an odd angle to the trigger. Works OK, just feels different. No problem with the revolver staying put where you want it, but mine would feel a bit more comfortable if it were slightly "dehorned". Should be excellent for a revolver with rounded edges. I also have been curious how it would work with the Tyler T Grip.
NRA life member
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

I have been carrying a Taurus 85UL with a Hip Grip as my primary CW for about 6 months every day. Suprisingly comfortable and unobtrusive, I highly recomend it. Only slight problem I've had is it is a little hard to reinsert once you pull it out of belt, but some holsters also have this problem
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

Pants and belt ...Yes
my grips do not cover bottom fit the frame, sort of small
gun comes out reasonably easily but is retained well
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have been using the Barhimi Hip Grip, for 10 or 12 years now on my S&W 442. Very durable, but then again it's some type of plastic. I have it with me right now. The only draw back I have found, while it is the perfect way to carry here in Vegas in the summer months, sweat will get on your gun. I just use a gun wipe every day, my 442 is one of the early ones that have plating. I have had no rust problem at all, I could see were it may be a problem with lax maintenance though.
I need to try one of those Tyler T-Grips, how do they attach?

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

The problem I had with it is if my pants were loose it wouldn't stay put, and if they were tighter it tended to "ride up" out of position esp. when I moved my legs way up bike riding or ascending stairs. But I may be the wrong shape for it.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

salvo wrote:I need to try one of those Tyler T-Grips, how do they attach?
The T-Grip has two fingers that go on the grip frame and are held in place by the grips themselves.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks JustaJeepGuy, never could figure that out!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Glad to be of help. It doesn't happen that often. :D

Alexis de Tocqueville
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

ONe of the best set ups I have seen is the Hip grip with the Tyler T and a Houge slip on over both, several of the gunnies I know carry this way
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Model 36

Post by 2571 »

Carried one for years while a Detroit cop in plain clothes. Loved it. Knew the guy who invented it and the guy who bought merchandizing rights.

Recently bought one for a SW 940.

Well worth the $10-15.

Only holster I ever could tolerate was an ankle holster, which was used when working vice. If she runs her hands all over you she is really looking for a gun or badge. If she touches your ankle, you're toast and has made you as a cop.