OT (kind of) 41 mag load recommendations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

OT (kind of) 41 mag load recommendations

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys,

A little while back, I asked for advice on either a ruger nm blackhawk in 41 mag or a ruger security six in .357 mag. well I took your advice and I'm getting both. I've got the 41 now and will pick up the 357 soon.

I decided on a new blackhawk in 41mag with 6.5" barrel.

As ammo is pretty pricey, i'm just going to reload for it from the get go.

Can anyone recommend a good load for the 41 for deer (or on the remote chance that I would ever have to discourage a black bear)? seems like my options are some kind of jacketed hollow point or soft point in 210 gr. or a 240 - 265 grain lead bullet.

also, I'm trying to decide between a hip and shoulder holster to carry it in, so will take any of those recommendations as well.

finally, wondering if you recommend replacing the grips and if so which?

THANKS!!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT (kind of) 41 mag load recommendations

Post by mescalero1 »

I like a shoulder holster for walking, distributes the weight properly for me.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

try a 210-220 gr cast swc bullet with 18 grs of 2400. Also the same bullet/s with 8 grs of unique makes for a nice midrange load.
Uncle Mikes sidekick shoulder holster is where I prefer to carry a handgun when hoofing it thru rough country.
Probably have a hard time finding them as they aren't made anylonger, but the Shooting star grips from Herrets for the blackhawk are the ones I like the best.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have taken lots of deer with my 41 using both cast and jacketed. The quickest stops were with jacketed bullets. I normally run a 200 - 210 gr. JHP around 1400 fps from my gun.

Took these 2 young does at about 30 feet on opening day

Took the buck with same load a few days later - little over 100 yards.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

for Jim T, were those shot at night or during daylight. :lol:
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I carry when hunting a Ruger Redhawk in 41 Magnum. I think I tried every holster set up out there. I finally had a low angle (15° off of horizontal) custom made. This does not interfere when sitting in the stand and is on the off side when walking and out of the way of the long gun. When I am on my quad, I have a holster in the tank bag which gives easier access to the Ruger than even the cross draw does.

Load wise I was using the Hornady 210 XTP over 21.5 grains of H-110. A good accurate load. I actually took a deer with the load. He dropped where I hit him.

Last year I stepped up to a 250 Grain LFN over 19.3 grains of H-110. I kept the accuracy I had with the 210 XTP.

I am in the process of experimenting with 285 and 300 grain LFN bullets right now. My 45/70 experience taught me the big heavy bullets work beat in hunting. Besides I acquired a marlin 1894 in 41 Magnum this last year and want heavy bullets for it.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

For a heavy load I like 17 to 18 grs of AA # 9 with a 210/220/230 LSWC or a 210 gr Hornaday XTP. I carry mine in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster with a cross draw slot added. I have a Blackhawk 6.5" like yours and a S&W 657 6". I have used the Herrett grip Don mentioned on both my Blackhawk and SBH and like it best. You might find one on ebay. I have also used a Hogue wood grip on the Blackhawk and like it too.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I load 22.5 gr. Lil'Gun under the 210 gr. Hornady XTP and 7.0 gr. Unique under a Keith 220 gr. cast. I think the cast bullet load is "enough" but the XTP load is quite something fired from my Contender 16" barrel and is the equal of the Winchester FACTORY .35 Rem silvertips I bought a couple of years ago.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

JimT what powder and how much do you use in those loads.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

FLINT wrote:Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

JimT what powder and how much do you use in those loads.
I use Military Surplus -- WC820 .. I won't quote the charge since it takes some experimenting to get it right. I would recommend the book charges of H110 ... do a little target work and see what variations give you the best accuracy.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Cliff wrote:for Jim T, were those shot at night or during daylight. :lol:

Hi Cliff .. I am not sure what you mean. We hunt strictly by the rules. We are also meat hunters. We eat a lot of game and really don't care about antlers, weight etc. Since we can take an unlimited number of does where we hunt, the young ones are the best meat animals. The big old dry does make hamburger but that's about all. We normally shoot 5 or so each year. We could take more and have, but for our needs along with the meat we raise, that puts our freezer full for the year.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Just kidding at you Jim, no insult or meaness meant. Some around this area are more often run down by a vehicle. Of course I have worked with a couple of good Ol'boys who just could not resist jack lighting or poaching. Rather like nipping watermellons, when some us were kids, they always seemed to taste better.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I didn't take it as meaness Cliff .. just wasn't sure what you meant ... I am sometimes a bit thick.

I have taken larger deer with my pickup .. it's true .. but it tears the meat up worse .. :lol: :lol:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Ah, you're a man of taste and distinction, Flint!

Try Speer's Gold Dot HP#4430 (210 gr.) over 18.5 - 18.8 gr. of 2400.

I shot some of these into wet clay. They expanded to .660 - .685,
and the retained weight was 196.5 gr. - impressive weight retention, methinks.
Grouping was 2 1/4" at 25 yds off hand - 4 out of those 5 were in
1 1/4". Very controllable.

For a light load, try 7.0 gr of WW231 pushing a 210 gr. LSWC. Very easy to shoot,
and still a POTENT self-defense round.

Please let us know how you make out!

-Stretch
Last edited by stretch on Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JimT wrote:I didn't take it as meaness Cliff .. just wasn't sure what you meant ... I am sometimes a bit thick.

I have taken larger deer with my pickup .. it's true .. but it tears the meat up worse .. :lol: :lol:
My dear departed father-in-law would break in every new truck (every 2 years a new truck) with a deer or two. He got them with the front bumper, either side and even the back bumper while moving forwards (once). Once he got one going and then another coming home before he'd had a chance to call the insurance agent. This in northwest Escambia County, Florida.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

JimT wrote:

The biggest buck I ever got was with a '91 Chevy S-10. It's a toss-up as to who was tore up worse,the buck or the truck. :shock:
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Trucks vs Deer. Back around 1970 or 1971 while working as a road deputy in Northern Illinois we had an 18 Wheeler plow through a large herd of deer crossing the highway. Middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night. Back then we had to contact the gamewarden, who would come out to tally up the number of dead deer, tag them as "Unfit for human consumption". The carcasses were then loaded into a dump truck and taken to a land fill. This night we had 21 deer, killed and had to put down about 5 others which were still running around, sporting broken limbs. Upside was at this time no deer hunting allowed in 98 percent of the state. These deer went from around 100 pounds upto on over 220 pounds. I did learn the effectiveness of the then new SuperVel ammo out of my 6" model 19, at about 50 yards, in a spot light. Bullets would leave a hole about the size of a silver dollar exiting the animal. We did have a state trooper who came to assist, he also had a set up for processing the meat at his farm. He loaded his car up with a number of dead deer, took them home and processed them for the meat. I guess they can't do that anymore. Good Luck hunting with the 41.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

JimT, is that a stainless SA in .41? Who made it and when, if you don't mind saying?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Hobie wrote:
JimT wrote:I didn't take it as meaness Cliff .. just wasn't sure what you meant ... I am sometimes a bit thick.

My dear departed father-in-law would break in every new truck (every 2 years a new truck) with a deer or two. He got them with the front bumper, either side and even the back bumper while moving forwards (once). Once he got one going and then another coming home before he'd had a chance to call the insurance agent. This in northwest Escambia County, Florida.
I killed a bambi a couple of months ago south of Rochester, NY on I390 with my Kenworth. Almost took out two but the lead deer was quick enough to miss being hit. Damaged the truck's bumper and took out a running light.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Flint, Here's some loads for lead bullets. I've tried several of these in my Blackhawk and Marlin FG with the 215 gr. lead "trooper" bullet from Missouri Bullets.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

The H4198 load is a real pleasant plinking load.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Truck vs Deer is for the non-adventurous types. If you are looking for something real exciting try MOTORCYCLE vs DEER! Not for the faint of heart or those without an Angle riding with them. :shock:
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

That's just more excitement than I need Bear. :shock:
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

SmokeEater2 wrote:That's just more excitement than I need Bear. :shock:

Tell me about it. 15 years later and I still hurt from it. And the worst part is the deer got up and left the scene.