When you need a third hand-and your wife won't cooperate ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

When you need a third hand-and your wife won't cooperate ...

Post by J Miller »

No it's not something ornery....... my goodness :lol:

Everytime I work on one of my rifles I need at least three hands. Two to do the work I'm trying to do and the third and maybe fourth to hold the rifle.
Well that came to an end today. I got tired of having to wait for Mrs. J Miller to cooperate and bought a Tipton Gun Vise. www.tiptonshooting.com

Well this thing came UN-assembled and so I had to put it together. No problem. It's also made in the U.S.A. i think. At least I can't find any markings to the contrary.

First project I did was to remove the scope off my MR-7 and install the extended front mount so I could position the scope further to the rear.

After that I worked on my 1894 Cowboy. ( On Topic Now ) I had several things to do. Once getting the rifle clamped down working on the rear sight was a brease. The little double notched piece was a botched job from the factory. And there was a burr in the slot so it would not slide freely up and down. Got that all deburred and smoothed up.
Then used some Birchwood Casy cold blue paste to reblue the tinsy lil part. Once that was done I nocked out the temporary front sight that I put in when the Lyman sight broke. ( My fault ) That required removing the rifle from the gun vise and putting solid on the bench.
Then back in the vise I fitted the new front sight. That was a breeze too. Just sit there and gently file a bit and try it, then file some more and try it. Till it was ready. No fighting the rifle, no banging it on things when it moved as you tried to do something.
After touching up the bluing on the new sight I unscrewed the magazine plug screw and found that I couldn't flex the mag tube enough to get the plug out. So I unscrewed the fore end cap screws and gently lifted it up ......................... :oops: :roll:

Now, I just have to say this, I've sat at this computer and read uncounted warnings by guys on this forum describing to newbees how to remove the magazine tubes, fore arms, and other things that they need to capture the magazine plug ... because ... if they don't it will launch to the next room.
I'm glad I have a small basement.

:roll: :oops: ........... and the magazine spring launched the plug across the basement. I stood there and said to myself, self you're an idiot.
I degreased the magazine tube stud ( it was loose ) and put some Permatex GREEN Penetrating Grade THREADLOCKER
(Fijador De Roscas Verde Penetrante ) under the stud. According to the text once cured this stuff requires 500* heat to release it. So hopefully this stud will remain tight now.

Then back upstairs, grab the flashlight, back down stairs, down on hands and knees (knees don't like concrete) and look for the mag tube plug. I found it under a 2x4 rack with a bunch of my wifes sewing supplies on it.

Well, after that it was simply wipe everything down with an oily cloth and reassemble it.

I would recommend to everybody on this forum that does not have one of these to get one. They are worth the expense.

Now we're back in business. Time to to shooting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I made my first gu vise. The ones from Midway are good and can be washed off to look new again. :wink:
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Which of the two models did you get?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Mac wrote:Which of the two models did you get?
I got the cheaper of the two, the "Gun Vise" http://www.tiptonshooting.com/782731.html

The local gun shop had one for just over $10 less than the price listed on Tiptons site.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I thought that this thread was about un-cooperative wives.

If you want resistance, ask the wife to hold a squirrels hind feet while you pull it's "sweater" off.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you want resistance, ask the wife to hold a squirrels hind feet while you pull it's "sweater" off.
Mine wouldn't help with that either. But then, she feeds the little things.

Joe
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

J Miller wrote:
El Mac wrote:Which of the two models did you get?
I got the cheaper of the two, the "Gun Vise" http://www.tiptonshooting.com/782731.html

The local gun shop had one for just over $10 less than the price listed on Tiptons site.

Joe
Thanks. Now that you have it, do you wish you would have sprung for the superfantabulous expensive one?