Today's dumb deed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Today's dumb deed

Post by perry owens »

I pride myself that, in 35 years of reloading, I have yet to load a double charge or a round with no powder, but that doesn't mean I don't do as many stupid things as the next man.
This morning I was at the range checking out my guns for a forthcoming CAS match. 10 rounds through my old Euroarms 1873 SRC in .357mag showed that, as usual, it was spot on. I reached for my original 1873 in 38-40 to check out the new Marbles flip-up rear sight I had added. All the time yakking to the man in the next bay about the virtues of old Winchesters, I loaded up and touched off the first shot. The report was quieter that usual and there was no black powder smoke. After a decent interval I opend the action. The shell did not eject and there on the base I could plainly read "357 Mag"!!! Yes, I had loaded up from the nearest open box of ammo to hand.
The accidental wildcat is in the center, between the 38-40 and the 357 Mag. I was wearing eye protection but the case expanded enough so that there was no blow-by. My first thought was for the wellbeing of my beloved old '73 but she seems non the worse for the jolt.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Today's dumb deed

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

With the bullet being that loose in the bore, I doubt enough pressure had built up to cause damage. It did almost fire form the front part of the cast though. :D
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Goes to show you even the greatest minds can be distracted!! :D Your incident is not by any means unique, it happens frequently. Not so frequently found are folks who will fess up in an effort to help prevent someone else from suffering the same fate. Here's mine, got my .30-30 and .303 British ammo on the same bench with both rifles at hand. No injuries but certainly embarrassing: :shock:

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

It never ceases to amaze me at the different types of events that happen in the world of handloading and shooting. That's the first time I've heard of a .357 being fired in a .38-40 chambered gun. It's pretty neat from the standpoint that you now have a conversation piece to put on your desk/reloading table. Good to hear that you and the gun are ok.
ED
Yer never too old
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes, I too have found that talking to fellow shooters and reloading can cause embarrassment, even more so when muzzle loading :oops:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A .444 will fireform perfectly into a 45-70 :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We should all learn from other people's mistakes. Lord knows you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

And how many of us blackpowder smokepole shooters belong to the "Order of Ramrod Launcher" ?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Yep,
a 41mag will fire-form in a 44mag. Similar effect to what you have Perry.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The worst I ever saw as a gunsmith was a 270 WCF cartridge fired in a (German) Weatherby in 270 Weatherby Magnum caliber. Almost total destruction. It shattered the stock, blew out the floorplate, and froze the bolt in the receiver. Damage to shooter, bruises on his forearm, lucky, lucky!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Gun Smith wrote:The worst I ever saw as a gunsmith was a 270 WCF cartridge fired in a (German) Weatherby in 270 Weatherby Magnum caliber. Almost total destruction. It shattered the stock, blew out the floorplate, and froze the bolt in the receiver. Damage to shooter, bruises on his forearm, lucky, lucky!
Exact same thing happened to the Governor of Wyoming while here in town for a hunting/shooting event several years ago. Catastrophic damage to the gun and the Gov was very lucky indeed to escape unharmed.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: :lol: We need a new gunlaw, dangit :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I'd say load a .38-40 slug in that "accidental wildcat" case and hang it on a chain around your neck as a reminder. I haven't made that particular mistake yet, myself--just a few of the others. I still have no idea how I missed charging those three cases with powder... :oops:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We should all learn from other people's mistakes. Lord knows you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
-- Rusty

That is one of the best ones I have ever heard. :)

BTW, 40s in a 45ACP produce a similar result.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

JerryB wrote:And how many of us blackpowder smokepole shooters belong to the "Order of Ramrod Launcher" ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

JerryB wrote:And how many of us blackpowder smokepole shooters belong to the "Order of Ramrod Launcher" ?

I came awfully close to doing that one day at the range. :oops: Ever seen the Movie The Mountain Men? There is a scene where a shot is fired in the middle of a fight with the ramrod still in the barrel.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Closest I have come was one time at the range not paying attention and dropped a .223 round in my .308. The sound of it dropping into the chamber sounded strange enough that it made me look.

Good thing your incident was with out ill effect.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:We should all learn from other people's mistakes. Lord knows you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
+1

Thanks for sharing this Perry - a good reminder to us all!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have never (not yet) shot a ramrod, but I have seen it happen. At the Tenn. state matches in Franklin I saw it happen a few times in the speed matches.Our club in Tullahoma used to shoot there in the spring and fall matches.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

:shock: :shock: Luckily most of the "oomph" went out past the bullet. Glad the old girl is okay.

These are the last two I bothered to save from customers.

Slow is just slow.