Sixguns in the movie, "California Conquest" ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Sixguns in the movie, "California Conquest" ?

Post by Travis Morgan »

Guys,

Last night I saw a movie called California Conquest, and I saw some sixguns that looked like a Ruger Old Army with an ejector rod housing. Anyone know what it was?

I'd ask ofn sixguns.com, but I guess it's not there anymore.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Sixguns in the movie, "California Conquest" ?

Post by Gun Smith »

When that movie was filmed there was no Ruger. It is possible those were original Colt percussion revolvers. In any case they were incorrect as the only revolver that existed in that form would have been the early Patterson model. Those would not have been in circulation in California in the 1840's anyway. The correct pistol that should have been used would have been a single shot flintlock or percussion.
Movie makers like a lot of firepower and don't have the time to film one shot, and then reload and fire one shot, and then reload. Back when that film was made most people didn't know the general history of firearms, and most producers didn't care about realism anyway. Thankfully it seems to be different nowdays.
I tried to watch, but it was slow getting started and I gave up. By the way, an actor that had one of the most famous lines in movie history played a role in that film. Who was he and what was that line?
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Dunno; the movie sucked!

Also, I KNOW it wasn't a ROA; that's why I was asking what it was.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Can't tell much from the movie poster.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Travis Morgan wrote:Last night I saw a movie called California Conquest, and I saw some sixguns that looked like a Ruger Old Army with an ejector rod housing. Anyone know what it was?
Sounds like a Remington 1875...
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A prop company back in the 40's or 50's fitted a bunch of Colt SAAs with a "fin" under the barrel to make them look like civil war
era pistols. They can be seen in several of the John Ford westerns especially the John Wayne movie
" The Horse Soldiers". That movie has a couple sceens that you can get a good loot at the
Colts that were converted.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I sure miss the sixguns websites!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer