1885 Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cworetired
Levergunner

1885 Rifle

Post by cworetired »

I have been thinking about getting a Uberti 1885 Low Wall in 30-30. I would like any insight into these. Are they shooters out of the box or need work? I will use it for plinking and whitetail hunting. How did you find the fit and finish? Thanks for any inputs.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Don't know about the 30-30's but I have seen several of the 45-70's and 38-55's on the firing line at BPCR shoots. The fit and finish are pretty decent.
Some folks rebarrel them and put a little trigger work on them to wring the last bit of accuracy out of them for serious match shooting.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I bought one in 22 Hornet, and the fit and finish were good on mine. I don't like the wood color particularly, but I can change that. It was a shooter right out of the box, though the trigger was a might heavy. I did a little work to that to get it better. I recommend the Marbles Tang sight, as I am in love with mine. The factory sights while better than what most factories put on nowadays, still aren't up to the sights of the 1800's Winchesters. I replaced the front sight with a Marbles fine bead, and took the rear sight off and put a dovetail filler in it. It has quickly become my most shot rifles as of late. Just plain fun.

Ed
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don McDowell wrote:Don't know about the 30-30's but I have seen several of the 45-70's and 38-55's on the firing line at BPCR shoots. The fit and finish are pretty decent.
Some folks rebarrel them and put a little trigger work on them to wring the last bit of accuracy out of them for serious match shooting.
Aren't those two calibers chambered in the Hi Wall version, not the Low wall?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup :oops: my bad the 45-70 is the highwall, the 38-55 I've seen listed as both, and there was a young man shooting at Ekalaka with one of those in 38-55 that's gonna be a force to be reckoned with in BPCR circles , if his folks keep him in ammo. :shock: