OT - Can you load a .45 in a 9mm?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

OT - Can you load a .45 in a 9mm?

Post by JimT »

Sure -- if you have patience and do it correctly.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Can you load a .45 in a 9mm?

Post by Idiot »

Wildcatters drive me nuts. YOU obviously know little about firearms, and even less about lever action rifles. The only lever action rifle (LAR) that cartridge will cycle through is one of the modern Rossi Model 92 clones with the bolt safety (the bolt safety actually holds the cartridge square to the breech mortise - allowing flawless feeding). Another obvious problem is primers; I don't think a small pistol primer would be enough to ignite slow burning powder in a small case void with a bullet base that large without creating a vacuum. And super slow powder is all that can conceivably be used in this cartridge; if you don't, the bullet will simply sit there and never move, especially with the weak crimp shown in the picture. Perhaps using a bullet with less meplat would actually allow the powder to burn a little slower and gain an extra 100 fps or so. Anyway, why in the world would you create such a thing when the same could be accomplished with 38-55? You've got me scratching my head...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wow, talk about a rebated rim. What kind of velocity you get from that? :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Dear Idiot .

All I can say is "HA!" I know lots about everything. And I use Bullseye. 3 grains. Even tho it is very tedious, I use a tweezers and a magnifying glass and count out each grain. They are about this big -> . I put 3 of them little boogers in it. So there!

:D
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

JimT wrote:Dear Idiot .

All I can say is "HA!" I know lots about everything. And I use Bullseye. 3 grains. Even tho it is very tedious, I use a tweezers and a magnifying glass and count out each grain. They are about this big -> . I put 3 of them little boogers in it. So there!

Come on Reverend Jim, there's no need to get nasty and call the guy an ... wait a minute... oops, never mind... :D :D
Tom

(ps - Good to see that you and Paco are finally getting the hang of this here reloading stuff... :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Last edited by don Tomás on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Back in the 1800's we had more or less straight walled cases. Then came the turn of the century where we started using bottle neck cases. It's been 100 years now and the gun industry is waiting for the next big break-through and here it is! ...... the Hyper-Magnum Vat-Necked line of cartridges. What a break-through! This will have the ultra-mag people ditching their guns in droves to stay on the Cutting Edge of cartridge development. The chambering of these cartridges will be interesting. The chamber will have to be in two parts ..... the front part for the Vat-Neck, and the smaller rear part will have to be inside the bolt, which itself will probably have to be recessed well into the breech to contain the pressure.

JimT, I imagine your phone will be ringing off the hook with gun writers wanting to write up the new 21st century cartridge. :lol:
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Finally, a low Powder,high pressure.

No use to waste that BE powder, one drop of nitro will do the trick. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I've seen pics of rifle cartridges like that (John Wootters' handloading book), but never a handgun cartridge. A first! :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

An Original Asperly Aimless!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

See what you do when we leave you alone for too long? It's decided....time for an INTERVENTION!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

C. Cash wrote:See what you do when we leave you alone for too long? It's decided....time for an INTERVENTION!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :wink:
hmmmm.... you may be right!

:o
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Idiot, two observations for you:

1. You obviously don'y know JimT, and;

2. Your are at grave risk of being adjudged humorless.

:)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I took his post as humor. I think he was pulling our legs a bit .... :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jughead Jones been to your place?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Isn't that the new Ultra ultra ultra short magnum?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Hobie wrote:Jughead Jones been to your place?

He usually went the other way. Remember the .50 BMG necked down to a phonograph needle?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

JimT wrote:Dear Idiot .

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bullseye is a tad faster than I'd use, but if you can get 3 grains in there, well, maybe you know more than I think. :wink: There's a stink pig shivering at the rim of the canyon, in a far away place called Oracle, just knowing you're once again in "engineering" mode. :)

How many expander plugs did you go through to open up that case? There isn't a big crack on the other side, is there? Have fun JimT.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

KirkD wrote:Back in the 1800's we had more or less straight walled cases. Then came the turn of the century where we started using bottle neck cases. It's been 100 years now and the gun industry is waiting for the next big break-through and here it is! ...... the Hyper-Magnum Vat-Necked line of cartridges. What a break-through! This will have the ultra-mag people ditching their guns in droves to stay on the Cutting Edge of cartridge development. The chambering of these cartridges will be interesting. The chamber will have to be in two parts ..... the front part for the Vat-Neck, and the smaller rear part will have to be inside the bolt, which itself will probably have to be recessed well into the breech to contain the pressure.

JimT, I imagine your phone will be ringing off the hook with gun writers wanting to write up the new 21st century cartridge. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I can see Wiley Clapp sorting through article boiler plate right now in anticipation of his big review of the new "Hyper-Magnum Vat-Necked" cartridge. :wink: :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

How many expander plugs did you go through to open up that case? There isn't a big crack on the other side, is there? Have fun JimT.
Nope .. no cracks .. I heated it red hot and expanded it slowly. Get brass hot you can stretch it further than you think.

:lol:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JimT wrote:
Hobie wrote:Jughead Jones been to your place?

He usually went the other way. Remember the .50 BMG necked down to a phonograph needle?
Ha! :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I think the cartridge is an absolute natural for the new Burnside single shot being brought out by Gillette Razor...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote:Back in the 1800's we had more or less straight walled cases.
So that's how Kirk gets all those great antique Winchesters - he bought them when they first came out!!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like a Jug Johnson round to me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It loks lke both Jim & Idiot are trying to put one over on us. That's not a Wildcat at all.

A well versed rsearcher in tis area (well, he's actually in upstate NY) has this to report:
I hate to anal about this, but if you'll look carefully you'll realize that is .471 Finklestein-Hoffmiester Midget Magnum, version 11. Seymour Finklestein and Lars Hoffmeister were of course associated with now defunct Lichtenstein Government Experimental Arsenal at Klwgstunghn, just outside of Sxghtyyngradd. In 1932 they were involved in the development of the Albright- Shyster machine gun, famous for it's ease of cleaning since the entire weapon was made from chrome and sponge rubber. A photo of the machine gun can be found on page 972 of "Famous Machine Guns of Lichtenstein Volume 2" written by Sir Hopewell Biddignton Smyth, HMCS, DDRG, FTHU, KMNG, SSEWNMP, who as we all know is the final authority in this area.

The .471 F-HMM unfortunately was a mere flash in the pan, although rumors of various Super Grade Winchester Model 70's factory chambered in this cartridge still surface occasionally. The most commom cause listed for the cartridges early demise appears to surround not the case shape or the Albright-Shyster MG, but rather the powder used in the military loadings. Produced at the Trygnastintang powder factory near Splighnbbtymk in Eastern Klyggncpop prior to that City-States inclusion into Mignomistan in 1935, the powder was produced from a proprietary mixture of beet pulp, hoof trimmings, whey, bat urine, naval lint and the inner bark of a local shrub found only in that region called Rtyngh, later determined to be distantly related to poision ivy. The burn rate of this novel powder enabled the .471 H-FMM to propel the 371 gr projectile at nearly 6,389 fps while giving an average chamber pressure of only 11 psi. Unfortunately the supply of Rtyngh (pronouced "klgnmmth") was extremely limited and the shrub is near extinction today. No other powder was found to be suitable for this ground breaking cartridge and it died an early death becoming obsolete by 1937.

Cartridge collectors pay premium prices for any example of the .471 H-FMM these days. A recent auction for an unopened box of original cartridges produced by the Government Arsenal fetched nearly $19.00 on Gun Broker.

Further information on the fascinating developments of Finklestein and Hoffmeister can be found at http://www.yagottaloveSeymourandLars.Lchn.org , the site of the F-H Collectors Association.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Jim, you've got to come up with a cool name for that cartridge.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Wouln't you need to load it from the muzzle?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

pharmseller wrote:Wouln't you need to load it from the muzzle?
P
We addressed that.

Rebated bolt face, telescoping breech.

Extraction is easy enough, but the problem is with ejectile dysfunction.

Don't you sell pills for that? :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Name:

The 9emem45 BLIVET

(for those who are unaware, a "blivet" is 4 pounds of chicken manure stuffed into a 1 pound sack)

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WHOEVER WOULD,COULD HAVE THOUGHT UP A NAME LIKE THAT ????
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Old Ironsights wrote:
pharmseller wrote:Wouln't you need to load it from the muzzle?
P
We addressed that.

Rebated bolt face, telescoping breech.

Extraction is easy enough, but the problem is with ejectile dysfunction.

Don't you sell pills for that? :wink:
Sure, what do you need? :wink:

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Muzzle velocity 300fps :D :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: