The Shootists have mostly left?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

The Shootists have mostly left?

Post by Old Savage »

I believe this started as a Shootists etc. group? They seem to have mostly left? Am I wrong here? Is this now a more general group?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What can they learn from us? We are just peons. I say we start our own group. We can call it "Shootists Elite" or "Homeboy Shootists". Maybe "Shootists Without a Holiday" Even, "Shootists From The Other Side Of The Tracks". Or, if I keep talking, "Shootists Without A Forum"--------------------- :D Sixgun :D

:D :D LIGHTEN UP! :D :D I am not condensending on the Shootists! They are a bunch of very honorable dudes and I have done business with four of them. Ask JT where he got that 4" 1950 'Smith .44 Spl.-----Next thing 'ya know, I'll get hollored at for making fun of Hillary. (she's MY girl--I wish I could hug her and tell her what a fine job that her and Chucky are doing!!!)
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

What were the shootists?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

takes more to be a shootist then to just call yourself one. I know many of them personaly and you wouldnt see any of them calling themselves something there not.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Andrew wrote:What were the shootists?

Well, there is this group:

http://www.theshootists.co.uk/

But the one everyone is talking about here is this group:

http://www.shootists.com/mission.htm

This way, you can get it directly from the horse's mouth.
.........THE TWINS..........

Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Some of us are still here, lurking away, and even posting from time to time.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No, this was never started as a "shootists" group. Paco and I started it because we like leverguns and because we knew there were others out there who like them.

The Shootists organization is not an elitist group nor do they think they are better than everyone else. It is a small group and kept that way on purpose.

When I was Chairman the reason I kept it small was because I did not want the headaches of a growing organization. It was enough work to set up the yearling meeting for 100 to 140 people. So we kept it on an "invitation only" basis and tried to keep the numbers down.

But it's mainly just friends getting together. That's all it ever has been.

A similar situation is the CSA. Some of them are Shootists and some are not, but we have an informal get together several times a year. Anywhere from 20 to 120. So far there have been no "caps" on attendance or any requirements other than show up, behave yourself, be safe, and have a good time.

But Leverguns was never started as a "Shootists" thing and has never been intended as such.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Lloyd!!!! :D :D
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I wouldn't be calling anyone one names. I have read most every article ever written by JohnTaffin. I've met Mr. Quinn. Seem like a pretty good feller's. If a group of guys want to get together and let their hair down with a few friends what is wrong with that? I organize two motorcycle rides a year. It started out small, with a few friends. Always on a Wednesday, so you have to skip a day of work to ride. This was two fold. First off, less people are on the road during the week, and second was to keep the group small. It has grown from just me 23 years ago, to 85 bikes last fall. Figuring out the route and eating details for a group that large is a pain. That is a long way of saying I completely understand the benefits of enjoying yourself as a SMALL group.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote:What can they learn from us?
Personally I have learned from you and a lot of others on this site over the years ... as well as the old sixgunner site...

and yes .. I saw the smilely :D
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my .02 this is the best place on the net to rub shoulders with some fine lever-gunners :D .I have learned alot over the years from some people here.when it comes to loads,cast bullets and general info this place has them all beat.
pete
DAV life member.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, thanks for the history lesson. I wasn't sure of the history of Leverguns myself.

Guys, I've met two Shootists in person now, and spoken to one other on the phone. I can honestly say, they are a) some of the nicest, most friendly and generous people I have ever met in my life. If you had met my friends and had my experiences, you would be ashamed for suggesting they are elitist. b) some of the most knowledgable firearms people in the entire country. Despite Jim's claims, the knowledge of the Shootists I have met is truly, truly extraordinary, and they certainly warrant, at the very least, a little respect.

They are very good people.

-Tutt
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I came here soon after the start up I believe, and there has always been a mix of folks here. Good folks all(OK, so Aces and Eights was a test of me old faith :wink: )
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

C. Cash wrote:I came here soon after the start up I believe, and there has always been a mix of folks here. Good folks all(OK, so Aces and Eights was a test of me old faith :wink: )
Oh yeah, what ever happened to 'Ole Aces&Eights?? :?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

azoil wrote:
C. Cash wrote:I came here soon after the start up I believe, and there has always been a mix of folks here. Good folks all(OK, so Aces and Eights was a test of me old faith :wink: )
Oh yeah, what ever happened to 'Ole Aces&Eights?? :?
Hi Azoil,

I haven't heard from him here, though he may be among us. He sure was good at making ones blood boil. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and I hope that he stopped kicking at the goads long enough to re-examine his life. I believe the Lord can really use someone like that, once they make the turn around.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WHICH ONE OF THE SHOOTISTS DO YOU PRESUME TO BE MISSING ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Terry Murbach wrote:WHICH ONE OF THE SHOOTISTS DO YOU PRESUME TO BE MISSING ???
No presumption involved, Terry.

Chuck Smith, Mark Hargrove, etc., etc. Also, Scott Tschirhart has announced his exit (see recent thread).

There you have it.

scott
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

Fermin C. Garza, I dont post alot here but I would be happy to help a fellow shooter if I could....
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

So you see, there be some Shootists here - but some of us do keep our mouths closed from time to time!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OKAY OKAY BOGE, I CAN TAKE A HINT...
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OKAY OKAY BOGE, I CAN TAKE A HINT...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Disagreeing with someone, regardless of their titles, shouldn't result in a chitstorm......as it often did :( A fella can't walk on eggshells in life, on the other hand, intentionally rude is not the opposit of PC.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

:D :D :D :D :D
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

I have enjoyed the many articles that I read over the years written by some of the shootist, hope to enjoy many more over the years. THANKS.
Death Before Dishonor
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

SHOOTISTS

Post by blueroan »

Over the years, I've learned a lot from members of the SHOOTISTS who didn't particularly advertise their membership. Their dedication to our sports and willingness to share their hard earned and sometimes expensive knowledge is to be commended.

While an NRA LIFE MEMBER, I'm not much of a joiner..the forums are enough to suit me most times. The Quigley rifle shoot in Montana is my big event of the year. LEAH gets to go past her birth place at Shiloh Sharps, I get to shoot long range, and enjoy some fantastic country and even better people. Stopping by the Fetterman Massacre site south of Sheridan WY is like visiting the Alamo.

A Blessed New Year to all here....and the good folks who have left...in one way or another
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

All the Shootists seem to be really great guys, and I respect their desire to keep their organization small, and invitation-only. If I wanted to start an organization, whether the interest was firearms or bicycle touring or motorcycling or raising canaries, I would want it to stay small enough that I would know everyone, and I mean more than just acquaintances. Not something akin to drinking buddies, the kind that may or may not be there when you need them, but someone who "would do to ride the river with," or words to that effect. Think about it, "the river" in this case being the Rio Grande, part of our southern border. Riding can mean horses, but it would also mean anything from backpacking or dayhiking to individual two-wheeled conveyances to guys riding together in a pickup or Suburban. The setting could also be the big, mean city. Guys who would put their lives on the line for each other, and could be trusted with one another's property and family. OK, rambling over for now; need caffeine, or caffiene, or calfing, or however it is spelled.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There's a simple cure for all this questionable posting lately. I do several things myself. Either don't respond, don't read the off topics, or if you do respond, just be polite no matter how rude someone gets.
Maybe some folks have left, but this is still a great bunch overall.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for all the info, I just did not know. An JimT thanks for the history.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

"Shootists" and "missing" are not two words that go together, they would not be known as "shootist" if they were in the habit of missing. :wink:
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Say all you want Terry. Boge will translate it for me.
ScottT comes and goes. He is a knowledgeable guy but there are times he needs his solitude. Mark is around. If he says something you can take it to the bank. I on the other hand have a need to be watched at all times
Besides it the Shootists are so eliete why did they ask me to join with them in their fellowship.

This from a grumpy old fanny burp located in the wilds of Arkansas.
Fungus Sam
Shootist

Post by Fungus Sam »

Hey Tom Richardson! You may call yourself a grumpy old fanny burp, but I happen to know you're a regular fellow. But I do agree that you bear watching closely. :D :D :D Tom
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Fungus Sam,

I need the email address of that pretty little girl who you took from her mothers arms and have kept in bondage and isolated from all.

The last email I sent trying to lure here south came bouncing back.

We will see you when
TomR
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

GANJIRO wrote:
"Shootists" and "missing" are not two words that go together, they would not be known as "shootist" if they were in the habit of missing. :wink:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey guys. I am a proud member of Paco Kelly's "Leverguns Community"! :D

Humbly,
bogie
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

Big teddy bear trying to act like a hard butt!!!!!!! Dont sell yourself short Tom your one of the best!
Tom Richardson wrote:Say all you want Terry. Boge will translate it for me.
ScottT comes and goes. He is a knowledgeable guy but there are times he needs his solitude. Mark is around. If he says something you can take it to the bank. I on the other hand have a need to be watched at all times
Besides it the Shootists are so eliete why did they ask me to join with them in their fellowship.

This from a grumpy old fanny burp located in the wilds of Arkansas.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Fungus Sam wrote:Hey Tom Richardson! You may call yourself a grumpy old fanny burp, but I happen to know you're a regular fellow. But I do agree that you bear watching closely. :D :D :D Tom

Oh great, NOW you've gone and filled his head up - calling him a "regular fellow"... Who'll be able to put up with him now?

By the way, what are y'all up to the first part of February? I just may be in that general area for a few days. I need to drop over to the J Bar T and harass folks a bit. I wonder what it'd take to lure Tom Richardson up for a day or so...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Folks,

Even if The Shootists choose to lurk on this site, their collective efforts of demonstrating useful gun skills down to some very small details has been quite effective in bringing me back into the fold after a 20 year absence from shooting. They may be more fortunate than some of the rest of us because they get to, want to, and have to ( to put beans on the table) handle guns with great frequency. I think they can be thought of as more modern cowboys that make the best of what they have--they just simply enjoy life at every opportunity. You can do that to, and come up with your own label.
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

It wouldn't take much to lure me in MO.
Seeing you would just be an excuse to see Fungus Sam's child bride and get a big ol hug from Miss Twyla.
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

I started out with the following experience.......

20 years as a West Virginia State Trooper

6 years as our State Police Academy firearms instructor

Been involved in enough Officer involved shootings to know I don't want to be in any more

Serious student of anything that goes bang

So a few years ago I told Jim Taylor I would like to come to the Shootists to learn.........I would keep my mouth shut and my ears open.....

I got invited out and I was truly humbled by the vast amount of experience and knowledge gathered in one place. In due time I was asked to join the Shootists. I still find it hard to believe I am a member. There is so much to learn from every member.

Upright Godly men, who will protect as the saying goes....." your money, wife or life " .

They are what has become rare today, men to look to as an example of how we should live our lives.

I am deeply honored to be carried on the rolls as a Shootist, but I don't see myself as one. I still have too much to learn, but I'm tryin'...................................JJ
Last edited by JJ_Miller on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

JJ, please send me an email Sir. Some of us have been looking to contact you. fcgarza0640@hotmail.com or 361 960 3697. Your presence is requested. All my best, Fermin Garza
Fungus Sam
Shootist

Post by Fungus Sam »

AmBraCol, JimT may not be online tonight so I'll post for us. We'd enjoy having you drop in, but the early part of February Jim and I will be hog hunting down in south Texas. Would later in the month work for you? We could still bribe Tom Richardson into coming this way. Check with Jim further. Tom
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Fungus Sam wrote:AmBraCol, JimT may not be online tonight so I'll post for us. We'd enjoy having you drop in, but the early part of February Jim and I will be hog hunting down in south Texas. Would later in the month work for you? We could still bribe Tom Richardson into coming this way. Check with Jim further. Tom
I realized that after I posted. I'd forgotten 'bout the hog hunt. Plans are to be 'round that area 'til just after mid month so I'm sure we'll work somethin' out. I look forward to hearin' all 'bout the hog hunt. :-)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rexster wrote:All the Shootists seem to be really great guys, and I respect their desire to keep their organization small, and invitation-only. If I wanted to start an organization, whether the interest was firearms or bicycle touring or motorcycling or raising canaries, I would want it to stay small enough that I would know everyone, and I mean more than just acquaintances. Not something akin to drinking buddies, the kind that may or may not be there when you need them, but someone who "would do to ride the river with," or words to that effect.
Plus one. Once an organisation is big enough that you can't remember everyone's name, it's already in decline. Some of the best groups I've ever belonged to never even had names. If people knew we existed, they'd want to join, and bring their idiot relatives with them.

Letting people in to expand budgets or membership just pollutes things.

Letting people in only because they will add to the group sounds snobbish, but adds to the group.