OT- More of my collection.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- More of my collection.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is some of my most historical items that I have. Joe Witcher was the longest serving law officer in Fort worth, the city where I grew up. He was a deputy Sheriff in 1877-78 chasing Sam Bass. Then he became one of the first police officers in 1879 and served for a short time with "Longhaired Jim (Tim) Courtwright". He went back and forth from the Police Department to the Sheriff's Department for many years and rose to Captain. He was chosen by Courtwright in 1886 to join his posse to take a train out of the Fort Worth station in 1886 during the great strike. They were ambushed by a gang led by Charles Dalton. Many men were killed on both sides. Dalton was caught in 1888 and sent to prison. The Texas Rangers were called in a few days later when the citizens went to arms to payback the bad elements in town. The case has Mr. Witcher's gold deputy sheriff's badge, his 1879 police commission, 1894 RR pass, and his City Marshals and Police Chief's Association badge. I also have two original photos standing in the back with him in them. The one of him as a captain is a print but in the group shot he is a captain also. The items on the left are from the historical Fort worth Stockyards and the Fat Stock show. My dad work in the stockyards after WWII. The cartridge belt on the right belonged to Eddy Aten. He was one of the Texas Rangers that worked with Judge Roy Bean. The rest on the right are Texas badges, a nice 44-40 Colt SAA and holster, pocket watches, and Texas Cattle Raisers Association badges. Since I'm taking new photos for insurance purposes I thought I would show some to y'all.

Texas Rangers in Fort Worth 1886
Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- more of the collection.

Post by Borregos »

As usual, very interesting, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- More of my collection.

Post by Modoc ED »

WOW!!! Really great photos. Maybe I looked to hard and didn't see it but can you give a brief history on the .44 Special Revolver?

Really neat stuff. Yes, I know it's better than stuff but you get my meaning.
ED
Yer never too old
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Modoc ED, there really no history other than it is a 1904 Colt SAA in 44-40 with nice stage grips. It shoots good to but since I got another one with a 4 3/4 inch barrel with less finish I shoot it more now.

"That'll Be The Day"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

another great post....
Some of those guys in that one picture
sure look like they are ready to blast someone!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice "rangerider7 ". Thanks for the reply. Nice looking gun.
ED
Yer never too old
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

WOW!!! A truly wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing it with us on the forum. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

VERY VERY KEWL thank you for sharing. do you focus on the area, or on the people, or the texas ranger aspect in your collecting?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Fantastic Collection.
Anyone would be proud to own all that!!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

rjohns94, All three. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really neat. We should start calling you the leverguns forum curator.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

By the way I forgot to say "Longhaired Jim Courtwright " was killed in a gunfight about a year (1887) later by Luke Short, of Dodge City days, in front of the White Elephant Saloon in Fort Worth, Texas.
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Fascinating collection. Thanks for sharing it with us. I wish more people would preserve history like that.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

What a very cool collection! Thanks for sharing it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice - thanks for posting these pics.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i agree with everyone neat , fascinating , cool and very nice.
thanks for sharing.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

You're just single because you want a woman built in 1893, huh? :lol: I bet you could charge a lotta money to let people just wander around your house, lookin' at things!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:Fascinating collection. Thanks for sharing it with us. I wish more people would preserve history like that.
+1 - I wonder if in their wildest dreams any of those men thought that over a hundred years later anyone would even have a clue they ever lived. Fascinating stuff.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

AJMD429, I have thought about that many times. Joe Witcher is written about in a few books and did some interviews for a youth history project in Fort Worth before he died. The Texas Rangers are well documented. Why did the family let these items go? I have kept anything that has the history of where my wife and I came from. I taught History and coached football. I have kept very little from my coaching career except for a scrapbook and a couple of rings. I have many many items from Texas history. I think history should be preserved as well as the people that made it.

P.S. I wish our people and government would learn more from past mistakes in history than apparently we do.
"That'll Be The Day"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rangerider,

As someone who respects history, I've had a lot of "keepsakes" dumped on me. Some are pictures, old saddles, my great grandaddy's wood stove, etc.. I'm glad to have a lot of it, and I know that if other members of my family got them, they'd be sold, ruined, or thrown out.

Here a while back, I realised I've got a dilema; I'm kinda the "last of the breed". I have no offspring I'm aware of, No cousins with an interest in family history, and nobody younger than me who has a real stake in a family legacy. WTH do I do?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

WOW! Thanks for sharing!!! 8)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Travis, I would look for a local historical society. They appreciate the items and love the part that your family had in community history. It is important to preserve it and pass it on to the next generation. The next generation my not appreciate it now but there will come a time.
"That'll Be The Day"
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

My Dad was born and lived several years on a ranch just south of Ft Worth. I still have 2 cousins and their extensive families there. Love Texas and it's belief in freedom.

In that picture of the Rangers I don't see a single "cowboy hat". What we are led to believe by Hollyweird is what all the well dressed cowpokes wore. So where are they?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I guess you are talking about the photo behind the gold badge. That was a photo of the city leaders in the 1880s. I'm sure they put the hats to the side for the indoor photo.
"That'll Be The Day"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

rangerider7 wrote:Travis, I would look for a local historical society. They appreciate the items and love the part that your family had in community history. It is important to preserve it and pass it on to the next generation. The next generation my not appreciate it now but there will come a time.

The only problem those outfits have is, they're never open when you want 'em to be, and the majority of 'em are unorganised. This changes if they get some public funding, but that's rare, anymore.

FYI: If you happen to make it to Meeker, Co., check out their little museum. It's definitely worth your time, if you like guns or saddles.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Range rider... I have to say..you have an awesome collection. I've been to museums that have less quality items than your collection has.

thanks for gathering all those items...Do you have a plan for posterity and future conservation?
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Looks like an exhibit in the Waco Texas Ranger's Museum! Very nice!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!