Gunbroker auction...frustrating

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Gunbroker auction...frustrating

Post by coyote nose »

Arrgh!!! It happened again! FINALLY on gunbroker there are Hornady 200 GN flatpoints for the 33 Winchester. 3 boxes in fact. There is NO "But it now" posted, so I save the auction (it is a 14 day auction...I saw it with 13 1/2 days left). I check it 2 days later and it is listed as ended with 1 bidder at the starting price! How does this happen????? I would have paid more than what it went for, but the question remains...why did it end? It still had 12 days to go. Had this happen to me with an 1886 Winchester awhile back too. So frustrating. If there was a buy it now price I can understand it (and in fact I may have used that option) but there was not, yet someone won it with the starting bid. I dont get it.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gunbroker auction...frustrating

Post by marlinman93 »

Are you sure they won it, or did it get ended for some other reason? I'd go back to the auction and do a search for the seller's other auctions. Then you can see if he listed them again, or contact him through one of his other auctions and ask him the details of why it ended. If there's some hanky panky, let him know you didn't appreciate this way of running an auction.
On the other hand, this guy is selling gas checked 205's regularly for a BIN of $15, and they look pretty good.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =126635048
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

I learned the hard way that if you want something and there is no BuyNow put in a bid...that locks the auction down so the Seller can not add or change anything. I do a lot of selling on GB and people email me all the time asking to put a BuyNow on so they don't have to wait... I always tell people no as it is not fair to others who may be looking and waiting to bid....

Bob
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What marlinman93 said +1. Sometimes an item will be closed without a sale and re listed for whatever reason. You should have placed a bid just over starting ( if a no reserve auction)and have locked him into the sale or he would have to contact you to change anything.
I had that happen on a rifle once. the guy thought he had posted pictures of the wrong gun. He was an honest dealer and I ended up with it anyway after locating the new posting and contacting him. :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Coyote Nose , sent you a PM !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

At least you aren't out any money. I'm still waiting on either the knife or a refund from an auction 4 weeks ago. After two weeks of no contact I called and the lady told me the seller died in Jan yet I see stuff still being listed AND SHIPPED after the auction I won.

At least I got one of the two knives I won from them a couple of days after I called. :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

awp101,I'm having just the opposite problem on GB, trying to get the flaky Kentucky gunshop that bought my ammo to pay for it. :x
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

SmokeEater2 wrote:awp101,I'm having just the opposite problem on GB, trying to get the flaky Kentucky gunshop that bought my ammo to pay for it. :x
Either way, we're stuck like Chuck aren't we... :|
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

6-pt, reply is sent, let me know if you dont receive it.
Good idea guys about posting a bid immediately...I will have to do that from now on...never thought about being locked in once you do that. However, there WAS 1 bid on the item when it was closed....
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

The single bidder may have offered a higher bid via email (maybe much higher) to get the item secured without having to wait or risk loosing it. I have had such offers in many instances. There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on, as you can imagine.

Anyway, better luck next time. But don't post about it here until it's over :wink:
Chad
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had an occasion where I bid on some bullets and was later told by the seller that he had mis-placed them and would contact me if he found them. Very frustrating but not much you can really do about it! I try to think everyone is honest and give the benefit of the doubt. Best thing you can do is move on and find another source.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Found these in a box of junk at a Gun show last Friday. Offered 20 bucks. He took it. Every now and then you get lucky. :D

Image :

A Winchester Collector
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm still sittin' on 12 boxes of those 3315s. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike D. wrote:I'm still sittin' on 12 boxes of those 3315s. :)
I "had" 4 boxes and just let Coyote Nose have them !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

3855 wrote:Found these in a box of junk at a Gun show last Friday. Offered 20 bucks. He took it.
Twenty bucks for the pair?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Depends on how the auction is set up. He may have set it up so the item sold as soon as the reserve price was reached.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!