Case dimensions - .50-110 Sharps versus the .50-110 WCF?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Case dimensions - .50-110 Sharps versus the .50-110 WCF?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Folks -

86er was kind enough to send me a couple rounds for my cartridge display board, including one in Starline brass marked ".50-110". I was looking up this in my "Cartridges of the World" book (10th edition), but it lists two rounds with the .50-110 designation. One is a .50-110 Sharps and the other a .50-110 Winchester. I can't seem to find any case dimensions, and was wondering how close these rounds are to one another. Does anyone have the case specs for each?

Thanks, and thanks Joe for your contribution to my display! :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Y.K. I am in the process of building a .50-140 on a Ruger #3 action with a Pac-Nor stainless barrel. I have to send it to Mic McP. to have the top of the breech block relieved. It started life as a .45-70 and as you know the rim dimensions of the two a just a little different. The barrel is threaded, chambered and fit to the action. I may have an extra .50-140 Sharps dummy laying around. Let me know. 1886.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The 50-110 you have from Starline is the Winchester round I believe. The Sharps verson is more like the 50-70 Govt, only longer. The rim of the Winchester round is smaller, if I recall. I'm away from home and my books.

I'm surprised that Cartridges of the World doesn't have case dimensions of the two to compare.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1886 wrote:Y.K. I am in the process of building a .50-140 on a Ruger #3 action with a Pac-Nor stainless barrel. I have to send it to Mic McP. to have the top of the breech block relieved. It started life as a .45-70 and as you know the rim dimensions of the two a just a little different. The barrel is threaded, chambered and fit to the action. I may have an extra .50-140 Sharps dummy laying around. Let me know. 1886.
PM sent!!! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Malamute wrote:The 50-110 you have from Starline is the Winchester round I believe. The Sharps verson is more like the 50-70 Govt, only longer. The rim of the Winchester round is smaller, if I recall. I'm away from home and my books.

I'm surprised that Cartridges of the World doesn't have case dimensions of the two to compare.
I did some digging and I am 99% sure it is a .50-110 WCF round. Still interested in the exact dimensions of both if you have the info!

Thanks,
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

My 50/90 Sharps brass is from Bell, rim is .660 and length is 2.5 inches. Shiloh Sharps stamps the barrel as 50 X 2.5.

50-110 rims are about .600 IIRC. Length is 2.4 inches (I wish Mike Venturino had given case dimensions in his excellent SHOOTING LEVER ACTIONS OF THE OLD WEST; it's a really good book for the lever gunners.)

STARLINE is making brass in both calibers.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have the following dimensions for the .50-90. I think the rest of the line were/are similar except for case length. The rim measured.663", .528" at the case mouth, 565" at the case head, and a case length of 2.5". If I am reading Cartridges of the World correctly, the 90,100, and 110 employed the same case. They say the diffence lies in the bullet weight and powder charge used. I can not find a drawing of the Winnie version. There is a drawing of the Winchester version and they do look very similar if not identicle but it is just a drawing and I do not know if it is to scale. Hope this helps. 1886.