Marlin "Outfitter" in 444

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Marlin "Outfitter" in 444

Post by brucew44guns »

Any one ever own the Marlin Outfitter?, same as a Guide Gun only in 444. The disease is working on me today, hoped to get some feedback, it's ok to tell me it's a lousy gun, falls apart, bad accuracy, don't buy it. You might help me save myself if you can be negative enough. :lol: :lol:
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin "Outfitter" in 444

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have one and I just might sell it to you !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The one I have was ourchased new by me in 2002 . Killed a deer with it that year shooting handloaded Nosler 250 Partitions and then put it in the safe for a few years until about november of 2008 and started shooting some heavy cast bullets in it !

The gun is in 98% I think .
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I'm relativly recent around these parts, but could be you're looking to the wrong group for this sorta help.

Don't want to critisize anyone unduly but I think pretty much everyone here from the top down are nothing but a bunch o' enablers, ya ask me.

Sounds like an excellent rifle! I think the .444 is way underrated and makes a great compaion to any .44 short gun.

See what I mean? :mrgreen:

Cat
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They totally stink; not nearly as powerful as the .45-70, not accurate, and really awful worksmanship...

Now, where exactly was this one for sale...? I might buy it just to keep it from disappointing someone else... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

AJMD429 wrote:They totally stink; not nearly as powerful as the .45-70, not accurate, and really awful worksmanship...

Now, where exactly was this one for sale...? I might buy it just to keep it from disappointing someone else... :wink:

You are quite the humanitarian sacrificing for the good of others like that... :lol:
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

If memory serves me right, it must also be "ugly" before AJMD429 can buy it. I think he said once he only has "ugly guns"!!!! It is heart warming the trials and tribulations he will endure for the rest of us!! Wind
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wind wrote:If memory serves me right, it must also be "ugly" before AJMD429 can buy it. I think he said once he only has "ugly guns"!!!! It is heart warming the trials and tribulations he will endure for the rest of us!! Wind
Ah yes, another upstanding fella willing to take one for the team. Brings a tear to me eye... :wink:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

The Outfitter in 444 Marlin is a very versatile cartridge/weapon combination. The 444 Marlin has been somewhat of a sleeper since introduction because it didn't have a large following the way some other cartridges do. Go into an shop and chances are less than 50-50 that you'll find a box of 444 ammo, but you are 80% likely to be able to buy a box of 45-70 rounds. Price is another matter. That said, those shooters who are fans of the 444 cartridge are rabidly dedicated to it, and with good reason. The 444 Marlin is a 44 Remington Magnum on steroids, and as such is effective on just about any North American medium and big game. With proper components and loads, a shooter can get accuracy and terminal performance in a large-caliber rifle.

What applies to the Guide Gun for carry and versatility applies to the Outfitter as well. The 444/Outfitter is a smart, high-performance combination; if I weren't so invested in the 45-70 and have some stoked loads for my Marlins, I'd probably own a 444.

JMO,

Noah, another co-dependent enabler
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

AJ's post almost got me over the Delerium Tremons, but I feel the shakes starting to resume their destruction of my willpower. I'll let you know when I get over these symptoms.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

At the moment I own no less then 12 rifles chambered for the 444 Marlin cartridge . All but one are Marlin levers and the other is a H&R Handi Rifle .

Anyway when I got the little 444P back in 2002 I thought it was a nice enough rifle . And it shot the 250 Nosler Partitions great .

But later when I started messing with and collecting the ones that were made in the first 10 years of production my intrest in the 444 caught another gear . I cannot tell you how much I enjoy casting 200-400 grain bullets and shooting them in those old rifles . Well I need a allard rifled gun to handle the 400 grainers . Which my 444P has been doing fine . But maybe it's time to take my 444SS which also had the faster twist and ballard rifling .

Anyway the 444 never really intrested me that much until I started with the Ranch Dog bullets . Then it took off so to speak !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I handled one at the last gunshow . It is more balanced than the 22 in barrel. But my 444 makes a lot of noise , so the porting will add more noise. That is the only negative . Mine is very accurate with 240 gr speers. I am going to buy a Ranch Dog mould when he gets more in.
dpe.ahoy
Levergunner

Post by dpe.ahoy »

I've got a 444P and love it. Have a Handi rifle in 444 Marlin as well, the cartridge is excellent and the Marlin is SWEET! It's not any louder to me shooting but with the ports, anyone to the side of ya is gonna be moving back and giving ya dirty looks. DP