Pointed Sierra bullet in 30-30 cartridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Pointed Sierra bullet in 30-30 cartridge

Post by t.r. »

This speedy little bullet flattens trajectory nicely. Sierra designed jacket thickness as a varmint bullet for 30-06 velocities. But loaded to 30-30 velocity it behaves just like a good big game bullet. Excellent mushrooming and penetration was achieved with pronghorn antelope shot at approx 200 yards or so.

Please do not load up a tube magazine with these pointed cartridges. It could be a fatal mistake. But loaded one at a time, there is no danger of chain fire.

Good shooting to you.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pointed Sierra bullet in 30-30 cartridge

Post by mikld »

I've got a single shot 30-30 (Handi-rifle) that I've been looking for a load to use. Thanks! Any info on a heavier spire point bullet; 150 -170 gr.or so, for 30-30 velocities?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Check the Sierra manual under the specific bullet and it will tell you how low a velocity they are designed to perform at. GameKings are more lightly built than ProHunters according to Sierra.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

One in the pipe and ONE in the tube, only. But if you can shoot, why would you need more?
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i make similar cartridges for my son's savage 340 bolt and
for an old 99 i have. i load them a little lighter as well.
doesn't seem to change the trajectory much though.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I use the Hornady 168hpbt in my 30-30 94 winchester. Single shot of course. No other bullet I have tried will match its accuracy in this rifle.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

flatnose, how does it expand on game, or do you not use it as a hunting load, just target? I'm curious, jd45
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

jd45,
I just shoot paper. The barrel on my 94 is a full octagon 26'', with 1 in 10 twist. I was experimenting, and thought what the heck and tried the hornady over a near max charge of win748. I played with the seating depth a little as well. I realise I am not taking full advantage of the bullet BC, due to the lower velocity of my load, but there is a marked accuracy gain over anything else I have come across. Mybe the boattail helps, maybe the bullet is of better quality than others, maybe it shoots better because it is less affected by wind drift, but I do like boattail hollowpoints they always seem to perform better than the standard bullets in most cases that I have tried.
I have not shot any game with them, but I cannot see why they would not perform well on deer. I read up on a couple of articles where hunters have used hpbt's on deer, and the results were the same as any other bullet. I dont know about using them on pig or boar. Maybe they would expand too quick and lack penetration. I cant speak from actual experience.
From memory I think most 94's in 30-30 use a 1 in 12 twist. It may be worth trying a hpbt in a lighter weight. Somewhere around a 145 to 155grn. These bullets really make the 30-30 come alive. I have tried the mil spec bullets in 147grn, and found them to be poor for accuracy. I guess it depends on the manufacturer. Try some Hornady's, Sierras, or lapau's. Good thing about 30 cals....good selection of bullets.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I have read that HPBTs are preferred in target rifles as, for some reason, they work better. However, I don't own a .30-cal. rifle. My Marlin 336A is chambered in .35 Remington,........as I said, I was curious, & thanx. jd45
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

That's an old box in that photo. Does Sierra still make the same bullet?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville