No Loading Tools??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

No Loading Tools??

Post by Blaine »

As an adjunct to my other post, let's talk about loading with ZERO loading tools. Let's assume that you've a nice 1894 in, say, .44mag.......Poke out the old primer with a nail, carefully press in a new primer after cleaning the brass and the primer hole. A nice, conservative guess of Blue Dot, paperpatch the bullet with wax paper or lubed bond paper to the proper OAL, then trim the wax paper or bond paper...you get the idea...load one at a time to avoid The Big Bang....actually, as I think this thru, if you leave the bullet a hair long in the OAL, it will seat itself closing the action........If your are out and and out screwed, this could see you thru for ammo.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: No Loading Tools??

Post by Modoc ED »

Your "conservative guess" of Blue Dot is where your theory falls apart. Very easy to overdo the SWAG and blow up the gun. Cut the length of a few (say 3) cases to hold the correct amount of powder and carry one in yer pocket, one in yer truck, and one in yer car or whatever else.

BUT having said the above, I'd say it's doable.
ED
Yer never too old
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Modoc ED wrote:Your "conservative guess" of Blue Dot is where your theory falls apart. Very easy to overdo the SWAG and blow up the gun. Cut the length of a few (say 3) cases to hold the correct amount of powder and carry one in yer pocket, one in yer truck, and one in yer car or whatever else.

BUT having said the above, I'd say it's doable.
:oops: :oops: :oops: I agree......I was pre-supposing some dippers :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Just use blackpowder and fill the case to the bottom of the bullet with a little compression. Done.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

What bullet are you using? I was wondering why you would patch it with paper?

For under $20 you can have a usable loader handy, the Lee loaders. I prefer the Lyman tools, but the Lee's work. I have a couple in calibers I don't have Lyman tools for. I keep a loader in my road gear for whatever I may be travelling with, along with a full length size die so I can size on someone elses press if need be. Would be good to have in your emergency gear, tho as you said, you can improvise.

I throw in a couple Lee dippers in my Lyman sets, with a hand written chart of common powders and charges for the couple I put in with it.

The old buffalo hunters didnt have a lot of tool to work with. No sizing generally, just de- and re-cap, charge with powder from a volume or cup measure, thumb seat a cast and often paper patched (designed as such with no lube grooves) bullet, sometimes a light crimp. Works fine in single shots. Some crimp would help a repeater. The early Lyman or Winchester loading tools didnt resize the neck, but crimped.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Just get TM 31-210...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Ironsights wrote:Just get TM 31-210...
You missed the point of the thread -- "No Loading Tools??"

"BlaineG" was raising the question -- Could you reload without tools?
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yep.

Not only can I load without loading tools, but I can load without bullets or new primers as well.

THe process Blaine described is essentilly the one from the TM, though they don't use paper patching.

The TM also describes how to:

(A) De-anvil a primer, flatten it, then refill it with a workable detonating coposition, reset the anvil & reseat in the case...

(B) Make propellant for the case

(C) use a mild steel bolt as a bullet

Tools needed: Hacksaw (to remove bolt head) Nail to punch & de-anvil primer, a vice is nice... and they call for one, but you can do without... and assorted kitchen implements to make the propellants.

It's a good manual to read & learn...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don't think I'd try. I have a couple of the Lee Hand press setups. I usually take one along when I go out. Heck, you should see the faces on some people when you sit down in the evening and start making ammo. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:Don't think I'd try. I have a couple of the Lee Hand press setups. I usually take one along when I go out. Heck, you should see the faces on some people when you sit down in the evening and start making ammo. :mrgreen:
Why not? it's really pretty easy....

Oh lookey... it's actually online... http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-21 ... -03-05.htm

Read and learn Grasshoppers...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a recipe for disaster!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

marlinman93 wrote:Sounds like a recipe for disaster!
No, it's a recipe used in times of desperation &/or duress.

I didn't say it was safe... just that it works. ;)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Kind of like Riding a Harley, or shooting with Bear 45/70 :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Kind of like Riding a Harley, or shooting with Bear 45/70 :twisted:
A Honda rider has the nerve to compare me to a Harley? Now that takes a major case of ignoring the facts as you know them. But you good liberals do that a lot. Get ready for this. Image
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: The only way you (either one of us) could move that fast is with rockets strapped to your big butt...... I was gonna say on your quad, but you'd wreck it before ya got to me. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

'Ya know somethin'? If I ever got that far down, as with no loading equipment etc., I would load one bullet and blow my brains out. Life ain't worth livin' without the proper toys----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

BlaineG,

I have "made do" with scrounged or improvised tools as you suggest.
The only limits are your imagineation and skill with hand tools.
The only way to get good with tools is through experience.
After you mess up a bunch of stuff, you will learn what not to do.

A serviceable neck-sizing die can be made from a piece of scrap metal with a hole drilled through, sanded to size and champhered to lead in the neck.

I made a very usable priming tool for the .577 Snyder cartridge using scrap metal, a hand drill, file, and hacksaw.
The neck sizer die was made the same way from a scrap of 1/2" steel.

If you have acess to a drill press, bench lathe and milling machine it is easier, but simple hand tools will get the job done (without attracting unwanted attention.) :wink:

Jack
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If it gets so bad I'm trying to reload my rounds on a rock I'm gonna find a way to procure some from someone else.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:'Ya know somethin'? If I ever got that far down, as with no loading equipment etc., I would load one bullet and blow my brains out. Life ain't worth livin' without the proper toys----------Sixgun
If it gets that far, please don't do that...you will be needed in the foxhole, Sir.... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

BlaineG wrote:Image

:lol: The only way you (either one of us) could move that fast is with rockets strapped to your big butt...... I was gonna say on your quad, but you'd wreck it before ya got to me. :roll:

I haven't been upside down since I quite doing this Image stuff. As to of that, as slow as you waddle even my wife could run your sorry butt down. Image
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

People have been improvising or making do with what they have for centuries. One time years ago I was out hunting with a couple of friends in my $50.00 1950 Chev PU when the engine quit 30 miles from the nearest town. We discovered that the distributor cap rotor had self destructed the metal tang that connected to the coil wire contact. We had a toolbox and we made a new one out of pop can. It worked well enough to get us to an auto parts store. Don't underestimate the ability of people to make do with what they have.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Modoc ED wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Just get TM 31-210...
You missed the point of the thread -- "No Loading Tools??"

"BlaineG" was raising the question -- Could you reload without tools?

Been there, done that. 7.62 X 25 in an old original broom handle. Only some berdan primed cases. Drill out pin with tiny bit. Punch out with nail. Seat boxer small pistol primer. Dump in a 22 case of bullseye. Seat 30 caliber bullet with thumb pressure. Low pressure load, was able to get two or three loadings prior to case expanding to point of not holding new bullet. It's doable. Much easier to do in a straightwall case than a bottle neck one. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it's easiest with black powder.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:People have been improvising or making do with what they have for centuries. One time years ago I was out hunting with a couple of friends in my $50.00 1950 Chev PU when the engine quit 30 miles from the nearest town. We discovered that the distributor cap rotor had self destructed the metal tang that connected to the coil wire contact. We had a toolbox and we made a new one out of pop can. It worked well enough to get us to an auto parts store. Don't underestimate the ability of people to make do with what they have.

Been there, done similar. Had the float in my Ford built Jeep's carburetor fail. The plastic pulled out of the holes in the metal tab that held it in place on a back road in NE Brazil. Built a fire on the side of the road and used a bobby pin I got from one of my passengers to melt the plastic back into place. Soldered a piece of wire onto a rotor one time to get it to carry the spark to the tip. I've also reloaded Blazer aluminum cartridge cases. One can do more with a bit of ingenuity than folks would believe. And reloading is not as complicated as some folks would lead you to believe. My first reloading setup for full brass shotshells was a knife point for removing the old primer. The flat of the blade to tap in the new one. A 38 spl case to measure the black powder and a piece of dowel to seat the wad. Counted out the individual TTT buckshot and then seated another wad on top with the dowel. All very low tech, to say the least...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com