.45-70 Primer Size

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

.45-70 Primer Size

Post by Modoc ED »

I read an article in "Rifle Magazine" (can't remember what issue) and in it "Mike Venturino" said he only used Magnum primers for all of his .45-70 reloads. He did mention "ignition" in cold weather but that was the only reason he gave.

The Hodgdon's 2009 Reloading Manual uses CCI200 (Large Rifle) primers for their .45-70 load data -- not CCI 250 Magnum Primers.

All the guys I've talked to at the range use standard Large Rifle Primers. Nobody uses mangnum primers for the .45-70.

Any ideas on this?
ED
Yer never too old
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .45-70 Primer Size

Post by TedH »

I've never used magnum primers in my 45-70 loads, at least not that I recall. Of course if anybody knew about loading the 45-70 it would be Mike Venturino. He must have his reasons, though I've never seen the need for magnum primers with the powders I use regularly.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've only used standard rifle primers myself. Never an issue.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same here, CCI 200s for all of my vintage Winchester cartridges. I have several hundred Winchester Large Rifle/Magnum primers around here, too. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I know nothing about the 45-70, but I read an article written by Mike V where he stated he used LP mag primers in his .45 Colt black powder loads.
He pretty much said he got better ignition with them. Other than that I know nothing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

I think he said he uses magnum primers in his black powder loads. I only use standard large rifle primers (CCI and Win) in 45-70.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

While I do enlarge the flash hole a bit (per Wolf), I only use non mag primers for Goex & Pyrodex. Even notoriously hard to light Blackhorn 209 touches off just fine with the non mag primers.
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

use the appropriate primer for the powder. W748 for example should have a magnum. But for standard pressure loads I use only WLR primers.

For black, yes magnums are the thing.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I always use Large Magnum Rifle Primers in my 45/70 Hunting Loads. With my Max Ruger #1 loads I use the Large Rifle Primers. I think the Magnum Primers give me a more consistent ignition in my Hunting Load.

405 grain LFN by Aardvark

40 grains of H-4198

Large magnum Rifle Primers

Lee Factory Crimp Die

2.54" OAL

1600 fps (+or- 55 fps) out of my Marlin 1895SS with Micro-groove and my Ruger #1, both with 22" barrels.

Fred Bodin
AKA Bear 45/70
Gimp Racing Team
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I always use Magnum primers in my 308 when I load Ball powder. My Grandfather taught me to do that saying it gives better ignition, but it will jump pressures a bit. You have to work your load up. With the primer shortage I may be using Mag primers for everything before long!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I use standard LR primers for all standard rifle cartridges I load using 748 and 760 powder. These are 30-30, 308/7.62, 303 Brit, 30-06. I see no need what ever to use a magnum primer just because it's ball powder. Winchester does, or did not, recommend the use of magnum primers with these so why should I second guess them.

But this is not for the 45-70. A case that large is something I've no experience with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use standard primers. They worked in the coldest weather we've had.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have great luck with Winchester large Pistol primers. But that is behind 11grs of Unique..... :lol:

With powders like 3031 just a standard ol' WLR primer.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Thanks guys. The reason I asked was that there is a guy in town wanting to swap his Marlin 1895 .45-70 (Walnut Stock & 22" barrel) for most of my fishing rods and reels and most of my lures, tackle, etc.. The rifle is in good shape and was made in 2005.

Anyway, I have several thousand Winchester Large Rifle Primers on hand but only 3-thousand Remington 9 1/2M Large Rifle Magnum Primers on hand.

Good to know that I can use the Large Rifle primers. I'll continue to keep the Remington 9 1/2M primers squirreled away in my primer storage boxes.

I'm going to go ahead and make the trade. Who knows, maybe I'll use the .45-70 for trading down the road.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Winchester LR primers say right on the box "For Standard and Magnum Rifle Loads". They are softer than CCI and ignite the first time, even with those lousy rebounding hammer abominations. I changed one of my Miroku 1886s, so far. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

"Thanks guys. The reason I asked was that there is a guy in town wanting to swap his Marlin 1895 .45-70 (Walnut Stock & 22" barrel) for most of my fishing rods and reels and most of my lures, tackle, etc.. The rifle is in good shape and was made in 2005."

WOW!!! You must have some serious fish if you have to go after them with a lever action 45-70. I only have Shiloh Sharps and An H+R Trapdoor in 45-70, but they are single shots so I think I will stick to fish in the restaurant!! :-)
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I haven't been fishing in awhile and don't plan on going much anymore so why not. I'll keep two rods and two reels along with a few lures and some tackle.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Sounds like a good trade to me. I haven't used any of my fishing gear in 20 yrs, just gathering dust, course no fancy stuff, mostly Zebco bargain mart stuff, bought when my kids were young and still at home. My grandsons live in another state now, and my granddaughters don't show much interest if fishing. Although my oldest grandaughter has stated an interest in learning to hunt, bought her a 20 ga shotgun last fall. We'll see how she progresses.
UNITE
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I read a lot of Mike V.`s stuff and several times he has said he uses Mag. rifle primers in the .45-70 BP loads. I see no reason to use them with smokeless unless the load data manual calls for them. :D
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Modoc ED wrote:I read an article in "Rifle Magazine" (can't remember what issue) and in it "Mike Venturino" said he only used Magnum primers for all of his .45-70 reloads. He did mention "ignition" in cold weather but that was the only reason he gave.

The Hodgdon's 2009 Reloading Manual uses CCI200 (Large Rifle) primers for their .45-70 load data -- not CCI 250 Magnum Primers.

All the guys I've talked to at the range use standard Large Rifle Primers. Nobody uses mangnum primers for the .45-70.

Any ideas on this?
Venturino also loads mostly black powder in his .45-70s. The reason he uses the magnum primers with black is he, and others, believe they get less powder fouling due to better ignition. This isn't my "idea" about this, it what Venturino has written in many of his articles as an explanation. This is because, in the games he competes in, duplex loading of black powder loads is prohibited by the rules.

And before one of you starts off on "How dangerous" duplex loading is, don't, because you don't know what you are talking about. Duplex and triplex loading of mixed smokeless powders and duplex loading black powder are two entirely different things and done for completely different reasons.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I use plain CCI LR in my smokeless loads. When I get around to loading some blackpowder loads for my Italian Sharps, I beleive I'll switch to Mag. primers.

Light smokeless to heavier 45-70 seem to do fine with standard LR - for me.

I remember reading the Winchester primers are the "hottest" of the standard primers
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

You guys may be right about Mike Venturino, Black Powder, and Magnum Primers. I thought he meant all powders but this wouldn't be the first time I've had a "Brain fanny burp". I'll have to go back and find one of the articles I've read.
ED
Yer never too old
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've used some federal magnum rifle primers with 3031 and the hornady 350 rndnose bullet , and had a killer accurate load.(came right out of the Hornady #3 manual)
Large rifle primers are the mainstay in the 45-70.
I do have to retest another batch of bp loads, that used cci large pistol magnum primers with Grafs 2f bp , that put 5 530 gr rcbs bullets thru what amounts to the same hole at 270 yds, just to see if it was just a fluke or not.
Having to use magnum primers with ball powder is just another one of them myths , as near as I can tell.