Winchester model 53

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester model 53

Post by dbateman »

ok stupid question what is the Winchester model 53 ???
i have never seen one and just seen one for sale on usedguns.com.au in 32/20 and was just wondering what thay are like
looks like a 92 ??
thanks Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester model 53

Post by Old Savage »

Essentially it is a 92 with a short magazine tube.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have one and it is the most fun lever I own. Perfect for predators. The 32-20 is an accurate cartridge.

"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Here's a photo of mine, a 25-20 made in 1924. What you see is the standard configuration ..... button mag, fluted comb, steel buttplate, with a model 92 action. It is a light, fast-handling little rifle. They were not a whole lot of them made, so they are fairly rare. Ones that have never been refinished or re-blued are very difficult to find. Rangerider's is a beaut, and in one of my favorite calibers.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

There is also the take down version. I have one in 25-20. Without digging it out, I'm thinking the 53 has a 22" barrel instead of the usual 24" for rifles and
20" for carbines.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Someday... one of these, straight stocked in a .32-20... someday!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

nice lookin rifles you guys got there
thanks for the info
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Had a look at that Rifle the other day.
Not bad but I passed on it and bought a 44-40 they had lurking there.
If you look at the photo's posted here at two VERY nice old 53's you will also see that the rear timber is shaped a little differently behind the upper tang and they have a flat metal butt plate. Barrels were 22" taper, which makes them a little lighter up front and really nice to come to the shoulder. Barrels were nickel steel as well. About 25000 made.
Pop.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

rangerider7 and KirkD
Those are fine look'n rifles.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Man! Those are some beautiful rifles. Thanks for sharing the pics with us! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Browning/Miroku also once made a .32.20 Deluxe clone of the Model 53, with excellent checkered wood, a high polish blue, and a PG buttstock - as well as the nearly identical .218 Bee Model 65.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Pete44ru wrote:Browning/Miroku also once made a .32.20 Deluxe clone of the Model 53, with excellent checkered wood, a high polish blue, and a PG buttstock - as well as the nearly identical .218 Bee Model 65.
Max T. France has a NIB Browning 53 priced at $995 on GA at this time. He also has 65s, 71s and 1886s by Browning. Sounds very reasonable to me. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln