OT--California here I come.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--California here I come.

Post by getitdone1 »

See where we have a high today in this part of Indiana of 47 degrees. At 8:30 this morning it was 23.

It'll be 72 today in Long Beach, California. Lived there for 21 years and will be moving back there in couple of months. That will be nice. Average of about 65 high for next 10 days in Long Beach.

No smog if fairly close to ocean. The ocean "salt air" has a nice, fresh smell to it. California has got it all. Great agricultural areas, mountains, ocean, the wonderful Sequoia and Redwood trees, Yosemite Natl. Park and--in the south part--great weather. San Diego, just south of Long Beach, is supposed to have the best weather in the country. Good weather counts for more when you get older.

No matter how much some people in the eastern states dislike and bad mouth California--it's a great state.

Kinda thought when I moved back to Indiana from California 9 years ago I'd find a higher percentage of friendly people. NO. There's good and bad people everywhere. Make that everywhere in the world. Fact is I think there may be a higher percentage of nice people in California and maybe that's due, in part, to the great weather there.

Merry Christmas fellow gun lovers.

Don McCullough
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Go to Jimmy's Fish Grill - clams on the half shell !!!!!!!!!! It's in the shopping center across from the Seaport Marina Hotel/Motel? Maybe you already know the place. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

To each his own, I guess.

As long as you're happy is all that matters.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Happiness is in your head. Not to be found in the physical form in this existence.

For me (your path to it will be different) it was found through solitude and reflection.

Good luck in California.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A friend of mine out here says that if the Pilgrims had landed in San Diego we still wouldn't know about New England.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And if there is a happy looking guy it is Crawdaddy.

"Go placidly amidst the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence" - Desiderata

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the other hand - "Once upon a time in the holy land of Indiana." - Richard Bach.

Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Good Luck with your move!! But isn't there a big increase in the cost of living fron Indiana and California????? Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yep, California's a beautiful state. Lived there quite a few years in the 70s through 90s, mostly central and northern, but also San Diego for awhile. My favorite part is up in the mountains around Markleeville. 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Once you forfeit your American citizenship crossing the state line, all you'll have to do is leap into queue to join the fairy parade.

The weather is nice, and the terrain is lovely, but I cannot understand what would convince a free man to live there.

Buy a nice tutu made of all-natural materials and take enough money for cotton-candy.

:?
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If someone put a gun to my head and said "move to Cali or else" I would deffinately head to areas north of Marin County away from all the wackos in SF and down south. Great fishing and hunting north of SF and more real humans too.
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

You can leave all your box-magazine-fed rifles and handguns with me. I'd hate for you to get arrested.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Move there, populate it with your children, and vote. There's lots of good folks there who need help. I moved out here to PA from California back in 1996. I was glad to leave alot the crime and worry behind, but I still miss that beautiful State in some ways.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

I know California is a wonderful place....especially southern California. The weather is perfect and the people are some of the smartest on earth.
They really know how to build perfect cities, highways, and roads. And their schools are number one in the world.
The governments there...state or local...are run by the smartest, most forward thinking politicians around.
And jobs...don't get me started...the jobs pay the most, and have the best benefits around.
Yep...it's a wonderful place alright.
Oh, I haven't lived there myself, we just visit occasionally.
I got all my information from the herds of Californians that have moved here to Arizona! :mrgreen:

Seriously...you should live where you are happiest because life is short and should be enjoyed!

Good luck!
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Welcome back to a great state and great place to be. Still a lot more people moving in than moving out but plenty of room for everyone. Forget all the negative folks who probably base their opinions on info they get third hand.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

getitdone,

Welcome (almost) back !! I'm in La Mirada, up near Whittier.

I was in Long Beach last Friday for a dinner party at the Villa Riviera, that big old 20-story building on Ocean Blvd across the street from the big tall round building next to the convention center. Weather was fantastic, view of the Queen Mary spectacular. Yep, SoCal is definitely the center of the known universe.

So, like, from where in Indiana are you departing ?? My wife's dad grew up in Kendallville, north of Ft Wayne.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. I still hate traffic, that will never change.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I think that you will be happy with that move, Don. Except for real estate in some areas, you will find the cost of living to be of no great difference.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pig - that is - down near Whittier. :)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hey, FWeirder - Cut it out, by the way, saw your picture - you're drooling - shape up. 8)

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Carl,

I live south of Terre Haute.

You mention Whittier. Remember Harris Oldsmobile in Whittier? Many years ago I worked on Clint Harris's ranch near Mitchell, Oregon. He and his wife were nice people. Clint used to double date with Richard Nixon. They both went to Whittier college. Clint gave a eulogy at Nixon's funeral. Seen him do so on TV.

Don McCullough
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Old Savage wrote:A friend of mine out here says that if the Pilgrims had landed in San Diego we still wouldn't know about New England.
HILARIOUS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been to California twice. It's BEAUTIFUL! The Pacific Coast Highway was even more than I had hoped. At times it was utterly breathtaking. I found the people to be very polite, just not very talkative. They seemed to be way too busy. Of course, we South Carolinians don't get in much of a hurry!

I wouldn't mind living there for a while. Have a pleasant move and enjoy one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Humbly,
bogie
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I lived in California (Ft Irwin/Barstow) for 4 years. It was almost dead center in the Mojavie Desert. I enjoyed getting out and checking out the old mines in the area and lots of public ground. Not much luck finding something to shoot though. Anything that was there was a protected species! :D Good Luck, enjoy!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Out here it's deer or coyote. You can't just shoot any old bird for target practice; even crows are protected unless you are a on a depradation permit. When I go out I usually just see those nasty bluejays, I'd love to pop one but I can't.

You'll be pretty close to one piece of the Cleveland, might be something there but look out for mountain lions.

If you want to shoot silhouette check out the LASC, at www.lasc.us, we have matches every month. It would be kind of a drive for you but there is a direct freeway, the Long Beach Freeway.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."