.44 Mag reloading question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

.44 Mag reloading question

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am not totally new to reloading. However, I am far from being a veteran. I have a Marlin 1894 that I am reloading with 240 grn LRNFP bullets. The bullets have a brinell hardness of 20. However, when I load with 10 grn of W231 (est velolicty is 1500 fps), I still experiance slight leading. My question is, since these bullets are not equipped with Gas Checks, is there something else that I can do other than reduce the charge to limit the leading? It seems that I have heard that you can place fiber material in the case between the powder and the bullet that more or less performs the same function as the gas checks in that it will prevent the melt down of the base of the bullet. Has anyone here heard something simular or use that meathod in their reloading process?
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: .44 Mag reloading question

Post by Blaine »

Is all the copper out of the barrel and,

Try treating the bullets with Lee Alox
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Horsesoldier03,
The Marlin 1894s in 44 Mag. tend to have fairly large barrel (groove) diameters. Mine is .432". If your cast bullet is smaller than this, and yours is, you're going to get leading from the gas leaking around the bullet. The best fix is to use proper size bullets, or .433" in my gun. Unfortunately, you have to cast your own, and might even need a custom mould to cast a bullet that big. I found an old Lyman 429421 for the Keith bullet that casts large enough.
Another trick that works is to use a plastic wad under the bullet, but up against the base of the bullet! Some use LDPE and some use PVC, both about 1/16" thick. Reduce your powder charge if you use a wad because you've just reduced the case capacity!
I would not recommend using a filler in a small case like this, as pressures go up really fast! :shock:
Glenn
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I may try the alox first, that seems to be the easiest and cheapest possible fix. The bullets that I have are .430, I tried to get them in .431. I would be intrested in getting my own molds, however, I have never cast bullets bullets and the initial cost to cast may get expensive. Thanks for the ideas, please feel free to keep them coming.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I agree with Glen. I suggest you slug your bbl and use bullets about .002" bigger than slug size.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had a 44mag leading problem because my crimp was too tight. The rim wasn't expanding fully and was scraping off lead.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

It's not necessary to have to go to all the bother of casting your own if you're not already leaning that way. Call the guy at Mount Baldy Bullets. I had a S&W 629 with .433" throats in the chambers & he was able to send me a box of Keith-style SWCs at that diameter even tho I told him I'd be satisfied with .432s if that was the best he could come up with. They shot very well, jd45.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I use laser-cast .431" 240gr SWC.

my Rossi 44 mag. carbine & my Ruger Super BH both slug .430". The cylinder chamber throats of the SBH are .431".

The same load shoots very well in both. And I am very happy.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you want to get started casting, it's not necessary to spend a lot of money. You can easily get everything you need for less than $100. For your Marlin I would suggest you check out Ranch Dog's molds. He designed them specifically for Marlin rifles.

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

horsesoldier03 wrote: The bullets that I have are .430, I tried to get them in .431.
Sounds like a job for . . .

. . . Paco's ".44 Mag A'curizer" - soon to be follwed by a .454 one and so on....

Seriously, is there a reason one couldn't swage 'up' cast bullets with a tool like that...? Sign me up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there horsesoldier03 - You might slug your barrel to check it's dimensions. Montana Bullet Works (.com) has a ton of bullet varieties and sizes. Dave also has a variety of bullet hardness' available. I get bullets sized .432 from him for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. The .429's and .430's fall right through the cylinder!! He'll ship you whatever you want to try, starting in quantites of 100. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

There is a pretty good chance the Lee Liquid Alox will solve your problem. I think your bullets are too hard.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I use .432" RNFP cast wheel weight bullets (plain base, not beveled) in my Marlin 1894. I get them from Stonewall Bullets and he tumbles them in what appears to be Alox, which makes them kind of sticky. I load them with .3cc of cream of wheat as a filler and I have not had problems with leading. I don't shoot more than 30 or 40 rounds per session. The combination of oversize bullets, Alox, plain base, and cream of wheat filler seems to work for me.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

AJMD429 wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote: The bullets that I have are .430, I tried to get them in .431.
Sounds like a job for . . .

. . . Paco's ".44 Mag A'curizer" - soon to be follwed by a .454 one and so on....

Seriously, is there a reason one couldn't swage 'up' cast bullets with a tool like that...? Sign me up.
AJMD,
Yes, it can be done, but it takes a REALLY BIG HAMMER. Trust me, I've done it, and the bullets weren't hard.
Glenn
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Wind wrote:Hey there horsesoldier03 - You might slug your barrel to check it's dimensions. Montana Bullet Works (.com) has a ton of bullet varieties and sizes. Dave also has a variety of bullet hardness' available. I get bullets sized .432 from him for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. The .429's and .430's fall right through the cylinder!! He'll ship you whatever you want to try, starting in quantites of 100. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
Well I pulled out my RCBS Caliper and a .430 lead bullet. If I check it right, the bullet is actually .430. I am still curious about how the barrel should gage. I took about a 1/4 sheet of typing paper and soaked in in hot water and then rolled it and tamped it down the barrel with a woodend dowel, I had the barrel on the floor and packed the paper pretty hard with the rod till I was sure it would be a tight slug. When I gaged the paper slug, it came out to an honest .429. I know its unusal, but I beleive it to be accurate. Not sure what year it was made, I got it in the early 80s from an elderly man serial the serial range is 211XXXXX. I can say this, the lead bullet will not start in the barrel from the chamber end more than maybe 1/2". The bullet will not start from the end of the barrel at all.

Thanks for all the comments!

I think I will start out with the Lee Alox to finish off the rest of the bullets, I bought 500. I will see how that goes and will let you know the next time I get to go out and shoot. I may look at jumping to a different bullet company as well as maybe lightening up on my crimp just a bit, I do tend to put a heavy crimp.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

I never tried the wet paper trick. I usually use a pure lead round ball from my C&B revolver. Somewhere around .451-.457" works. Tap it in and tap it out.
Glenn
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Kinda an un-orthodox way to slug the bore. And can not be very accurate.
To slug the bore, lube that bullet and the bore. Then with a plastic mallet drive it in the muzzel end. Complete the drive with a wooden dowel rod. (I use a 3/8" dowel ). Measure with a Micrometer the high ridges, this is the bore grooves it is the distance across opposites, this will be the measurement that is needed.

A micrometer is more accurate than a caliper for this task.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I know, the paper thing is a bit unorthadox! However, I dont feel like sticking a lead bullet with a brinell hardness of 20 down my barrel tonight. Pure lead is the best way to go but I dont have that right now. I did drive the paper extremely hard and compact and you can honestly see the groves. I will work on getting the pure lead to do this but for tonight my paper wad will have to work. I have heard of others doing it before, some use plastic as well.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

A lead weight from the fishing supplies at your local store works great. Very soft and you can get ones that are sized to suit you. I use the bullet shaped weights used by plastic worm fishing. Get them a little larger than you bore and you are good to go.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.