OT - anyone have any opinions on the "Rock Island" 1911's ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

OT - anyone have any opinions on the "Rock Island" 1911's ?

Post by Streetstar »

After many years of procrastination, i have decided to "make it legal" in regards to procuring my CCW. I have little interest in autoloading pistols, but my state's licensing rules limit you to revolvers only if you use a revolver to take the CCW course. I dont have a lot of use for autos now, but who knows, in 5 years i may have a 1911 fascination or something, so i don't want to limit myself.

The Rock Island pistol is certainly at the right price, but the "Armscor, made in the Phillipines" part would normally turn me away. (these things are less than 400 bucks and look and feel like a Springfield Mil-Spec). Since i am strictly "bench shooting" right now (similar to bench racing, nothing to do with bench rest) i wonder if i should ignore the Phillipine gun and just get a tried and true Glock, especially if the plan is to turn it around and sell it within 3-4 months anyway (Glocks are beautiful for their intended purpose- but i have little long term use for one) . Except for the country of origin, the RIA gun looks like a tough little bugger --

But i am also wondering if i can just use my Mark 2 Ruger to fulfill the autopistol requirement, or if it has to be centerfire. Any Okie CCW holders feel free to chime in if you want.
Last edited by Streetstar on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - anyone have any opinions on the "Rock Island" 1911's ?

Post by Andrew »

I've heard a lot of really good things about the RIA 1911's and if I were to get one, that's what it would be. I've also read good things about the Norinco 1911 but I don't know anything about their prices.

Side note: Do you know how long it took me to figure out "bench shooting" and "bench racing" were not the same thing? :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Streetstar - Couldn't you just borrow an autoloader to use for the course and then carry what ever you like? I'd be inclined to buy tried and true (Colt and Kimber for example) as they would prolly be easier/faster to re-sell later if you want. I'll prolly have to borrow a penny to make it an official two cents worth!! Watch yer top knot. Wind
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I had one for a short while and it was a solid, dependable mil-spec pistol. The ONLY reasons it went down the road was because I had a glut of 1911s at the time and I wanted a new play pretty.

I'd read on a 1911 board that RIA recommended a 500rd break-in period before calling them regarding any feed issues, etc. I put many more than that through it and had no problems right out of the box. The only change I made was to put some wood double diamond stocks on it to make it "right" but I do that to any 1911 I get that doesn't already have them.

If/when I get the hankerin' for another 1911, I'd have NO PROBLEM buying another. In fact, one of these days one of their .38 Supers may make it onto my short list...

FWIW, the Springfield Mil-Spec frames are made in Brazil and STI has an agreement with Armscor to produce frames (and maybe more, don't recall offhand) for them so they can have an entry level 1911 (if it hasn't already started production).
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Wind has a good point. The class I took provided G17s for us to use. The only problem I had was discovering that I actually LIKED them after spending some quality time with it! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wind wrote:Hey there Streetstar - Couldn't you just borrow an autoloader to use for the course and then carry what ever you like? I'd be inclined to buy tried and true (Colt and Kimber for example) as they would prolly be easier/faster to re-sell later if you want. I'll prolly have to borrow a penny to make it an official two cents worth!! Watch yer top knot. Wind

I would if i was friends with any other shooters. I am actually the odd man out in my circle. I have a few "huntin buddies" - but none close enough to borrow a pistol from (most also are revolver shooters too). I would have no problems asking someone to borrow a Glock, but a Gold Cup i would not want to assume any "friendship liability" on, and my other CCW carrying friend has a 686 Smith that stays in the console of his truck - so not much help there either.

One would think otherwise, but being a hunter doesn't make someone a shooter --- one of my good friends has a 7mm STW that gets fired 3 times a year to check zero and thats it (more if its a good deer season, but usually not , as this person shoots for "points" and is picky)
Maybe i need to get cooler friends :lol: --- i'm the only one that will cart 5-6 firearms (or more)to the range along with several hundred rounds of centerfire ammo for all day sessions

I will check around for a course that either provides or rents the firearms though -- thats a good idea.
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you have relatively large hands, I would consider the any of the ParaOrdnance .45 doublestacks - over the years I've owned three of them and was impressed with them all (I sold the LDA just because I'm not a double action fan - even though it was the DA auto equivalent of a Thompson Contender trigger - amazing). If using for CCW, the ability to have from 12 to 14 rounds of .45 ACP is comforting, and you don't need an 'extra magazine' pouch.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

You might also consider the entry-level Kimber 1911,....if it's not beyond your budget restrictions. just my 2 cents, jd45
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

MY son has a RIA .45 and he thinks it's great. He was considering buying another one a while back but school had to take front seat.

I've shot it and would put it up against any other brand. Given any amount you have for gun and practice ammo, if you bought the RIA you would certainly have more left over for ammo.

Jr. got rid of a GLOCK M21 to get this RIA and I think he did good. But to put it plainly, I don't like Glocks. I could take his and eat the 10 ring right out of a target but when it was all over I never could figure out just how it happened. They just don't feel right to me. I know it's personal, but to me a handgun should be made from steel and walnut, not plastic. I don't like the feel of the trigger, I don't like not having a safety on a self shucker, but like I say, that's me.
BTW I carry a S&W 640 for CCW.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The Armscor/Rock Island/Charles Daly 1911s are excellent pistols, just about the best value for the money in a 1911. I've owned a couple and had close experience with several others and have never had any problems with reliability or accuracy.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have the RIA 4" barrel. so far with 230gr. hp. rangers and fmj. i've had no problems. shot it enough to trust my life with. good gun for the money.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

awp101 wrote:I had one . . . and it was a solid, dependable mil-spec pistol . . . I put many more than (500 rds) through it and had no problems right out of the box. The only change I made was to put some wood double diamond stocks on it to make it "right" but I do that to any 1911 I get that doesn't already have them.

If/when I get the hankerin' for another 1911, I'd have NO PROBLEM buying another. In fact, one of these days one of their .38 Supers may make it onto my short list...

My experience mirrors that of Andrew's above. Last fall I bought a used RIA parkerized "1911A1-style" 5-inch that had been fired and well taken care of. I used McCormick Shooting Star mags exclusively and have had ZERO problems with the Rock Island in about 270-300 rds. Surprisingly, the sights were well-regulated for 230 gr FMJ at 25 yds, and the Rock Island is one of the most accurate 1911s I own in terms of small group size. The only change I made was to install a pair of brown plastic GI 1911A1 grips. I've toyed with installing an arched mainspring housing but it shoots too well the way it is. The three most accurate 1911s that I own are a box-stock Norinco 1911A1, a Colt Series 80 SS Govt Model, and now this 5" RIA. Since last fall, the RIA has gone to the range nearly every trip (at least every other weekend on avg) and I warm it up with one to four mags full.

The RIA at $290 OTD is one of my "best buy" gun deals.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Noah Zark wrote: The RIA at $290 OTD is one of my "best buy" gun deals.
Where are you finding a RIA 1911 for $290?
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

I bought an RIA back when they first came out for the same price $290.
It quickly replaced my Browning High Power as My number one CCW carry piece.
I have carried this gun daily for 3 or 4 years now and trust my life to it.
The only change I made to it was to put the USGI walnut diamond grips on it.
Other than that it is stock. It also shows the wear from being carried and handled every day.
I wanted to buy another one recently and was surprised to see how much they had gone up in price.
I guess the secret is out.
They are really reliable solid built guns.

I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Cool --- sounds like more personality than a Glock for a hundred bones or so less. (i can get one for 395)
----- Doug
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

mklwhite wrote:
Noah Zark wrote: The RIA at $290 OTD is one of my "best buy" gun deals.
Where are you finding a RIA 1911 for $290?

It was used, but like new.

Noah
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I have a RIA 1911 and after the break in period I have had no issues and the ones I had where do to the pistol needing to be used nothing more. The RIA folks here in NV are top shelf and have been very helpful. I got mine a while ago and they have almost doubled since I got mine.
they are well made and take a beating mine has shot solids, hollow points and some lead bullets and they all work just fine. The pistol is only certified to shoot round ball bullets so I am very happy with mine and hope to be able one day to find another to buy.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a RIA, and have had only 1 jam, EVER. That was during the first magazine full right out of the box. After a couple of years and no more jams, fte's, ftf's or anything else, I keep my RIA by my side of the bed. That RIA and a 120 lumen flashlight are what I trust my life to at night. At about 1500 rounds it was just starting to get broken in to my liking, and it is boringly reliable. You will die of ennui before it fails you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am not a fan of Glocks or any of the plastic-fantastic firearms. I AM a fan of the 1911s.

HOWEVER, for you purposes get the Glock. A used one. A 19 will likely be an easier resale but 9mm or .40 doesn't matter. The instructors are likely familiar with it if there is a problem and there probably won't be one. A new gun will use value the minute you walk out the door with it. Glocks are like potato chips. Everybody knows what to expect, they are everywhere and almost a commodity.

With the RIA you get an unknown quantity and while most people THINK they know 1911s, most don't.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

There is no good reason to buy a lower-tiered gun if you think you may resell it someday. You might pick one because you want it, like my Rossi revolver, but you will never make a good deal reselling a lower tier gun. If you're not picking it because you want it, I would not go below Colt, Springfield or Kimber (and I have an idea there's really two Kimbers, and if you can afford it, it's the wrong one).

I can't imagine being sorry I had a Glock.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks for all the opinions guys --- i would have no probs buying a RIA based on all the decent recommendations if i needed one , --------- but thankfully, i dont have to make the decision anymore. I have a buddy 150 miles to the north who stepped up and has allowed me the use of his G-23 when the time comes . I am letting him use my Blackhawk for the week i will have it (sounds like he's getting the better end of the deal)

Supposedly, only 20-25 rounds are fired during the course. Debatable whether a Glock even needs to be cleaned after 25 rounds, but i always do my best to return anything at least equal to or better than when i borrowed it.

Maybe having my blackhawk for a week will bring another one over to the traditional styled firearms club
----- Doug
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Streetstar wrote: . . . I have a buddy 150 miles to the north who stepped up and has allowed me the use of his G-23 when the time comes . . .
Darn, that's no fun!

No new gun for Streetstar!

Noah
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Noah Zark wrote:
Streetstar wrote: . . . I have a buddy 150 miles to the north who stepped up and has allowed me the use of his G-23 when the time comes . . .
Darn, that's no fun!

No new gun for Streetstar!

Noah
oh, i have a couple of new guns in my future --- but they are both leverguns :D

My actual carry piece will be a Uberti Cattleman with 3.5" barrel and birds head grips -- so i need to procure that one too, but i have a couple of DA .357's i could cart around as well. The state does not require you to actually qualify with the same gun you carry, and i predict this will be left in the glove box a majority of the time. The current political climate is actually prompting me to do this, if anything drastic happens, i would like to be "grandfathered in" if possible
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

YOU ARE WELL ARMED WITH THE GLOCK 23. CLOSE ENOUGH TO A 45 IN PERFORMANCE TO MAKE IT NOT MATTER. GLOCKS ARE THE MOST RELIABLE FIREARM I EVER SHOT.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I guess the search is over ---- I bit on a Springfield Mil-Spec. The RIA actually had a friendlier hammer, but the local shop only had it in a compact version.

For my purposes, this should get my CCW needs taken care of for a long, long time. I've never been a huge semi auto fan, but now that i have it in hand, i am really looking forward to giving this thing a workout

That parkerized finish is uglier than a coal miner's behind, but it looks purposeful, i'll give it that. Glocks are also great and i considered buying another mine (had a G21 model for a while) --- but this one won out --- plus the prices some of the shops are selling new Glocks for now is stupid :shock: considering the good supply of those things

----- Doug
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Excellent choice for a fan of wood and steel.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:That parkerized finish is uglier than a coal miner's behind, but it looks purposeful, i'll give it that. Glocks are also great and i considered buying another mine (had a G21 model for a while) --- but this one won out --- plus the prices some of the shops are selling new Glocks for now is stupid :shock: considering the good supply of those things
I'd rather have a 1911 with a pink paint and sequins finish than any Glock I've seen, even though I realize the Glocks are 'indestructable.' I guess I'm just getting old and cranky. :evil:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You wont be disappointed! Technically the gun pictured is the Springfield GI. The MILSPEC has a little more on the sights as well as a lowered ejection port. Mine has well over 1000 rds with only 1 FTF that occured on the 1st 50 rds.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

horsesoldier03 wrote:You wont be disappointed! Technically the gun pictured is the Springfield GI. The MILSPEC has a little more on the sights as well as a lowered ejection port. Mine has well over 1000 rds with only 1 FTF that occured on the 1st 50 rds.

OK --- yep you are right. I guess i have been calling them "Mil Specs" because i was comparing the 2 in the shop and they looked the same except for the better sights on the upgraded one. That lowered ejection port is likely a bit easier on the brass too. But, i wanted basic ---- i'm not a competition shooter and this thing brings lots of smiles to my face.
My dad was in Army aviation , reconnaisance type things--- and quite frequently he said the only things they carried in the plane were the .45's because there wasn't room for a '16 or an M-14 in an OV-1 "Bird dog" or a Loach (being in aviation and not infantry, he was issued the M-14 --1968-69)

This darn thing is a cool old throwback and i like it like that --- no beavertails or sweet triggers or polymer frames, just the same thing the tunnel rats used, not to mention being based on what the doughboys used in WW 1 trench warfare .
A traditional 1911 is about the only thing my old school mind can tolerate anymore when it comes to semis
----- Doug
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

Streetstar wrote:I guess the search is over ---- I bit on a Springfield Mil-Spec. The RIA actually had a friendlier hammer, but the local shop only had it in a compact version.

For my purposes, this should get my CCW needs taken care of for a long, long time. I've never been a huge semi auto fan, but now that i have it in hand, i am really looking forward to giving this thing a workout

That parkerized finish is uglier than a coal miner's behind, but it looks purposeful, i'll give it that. Glocks are also great and i considered buying another mine (had a G21 model for a while) --- but this one won out --- plus the prices some of the shops are selling new Glocks for now is stupid :shock: considering the good supply of those things

Personally I think that is a beautiful gun.
I like a bone stocx mil spec 45. There is a certain romance to them that you don't get from a polymer gun.
The 45 also is the most comfortable natural pointing gun I own.
My Browning High Power feels like I'm holding a 2x4 compared to my 1911.
I personally think you made an excellent choice.
I own the RIA but I would be just as happy with your choice I'm sure.
Nice piece!
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

AJMD429 wrote:
Streetstar wrote:That parkerized finish is uglier than a coal miner's behind, but it looks purposeful, i'll give it that. Glocks are also great and i considered buying another mine (had a G21 model for a while) --- but this one won out --- plus the prices some of the shops are selling new Glocks for now is stupid :shock: considering the good supply of those things
I'd rather have a 1911 with a pink paint and sequins finish than any Glock I've seen, even though I realize the Glocks are 'indestructable.' I guess I'm just getting old and cranky. :evil:

I got that old and cranky attitude going myself.
Don't like plastic guns.
I suppose i should have given them more of a chance but I bought a Glock on sale in Boulder Colorado at Gart Bros and took it immediately to the range.
Halfway through the second magazine the rear sight was launched to Pluto or thereabouts.
I put the gun back in the box and it was returned to Gart Bros about an hour after leaving the store.
I'm sure they are OK guns but that first impression soured me on them.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Yep the difference between the two is hardly worth mentioning. Not sure how yours does with the current ejection port. The only thing I dont like about my gun is the fact that it tosses the brass inconsistantly into a circle of about 6 feet. That can be a real pain when you reload. Mine is also the parkerized and has the standard safety grip (no extended beavertail). I have never experianced a hammer bite with it yet. If your not into reloading for it yet, I would suggest you start. My current cost is about $5 per box of 50. If your budget is anything like mine, I cant enjoy myself when I shoot lots of rounds with $15 a box ammo.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

horsesoldier03 wrote:That can be a real pain when you reload.
Ain't that the truth! I once tried to swear off of buying self-loaders just for that reason. It didn't work... :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you decide that you don't like what you got, I'll take it off your hands. :lol: I hope you enjoy it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Streetstar wrote: I guess the search is over ---- I bit on a Springfield Mil-Spec. The RIA actually had a friendlier hammer, but the local shop only had it in a compact version.

The hammer in a 1911s are so easy to change that it isn't worth keeping a hammer you don't like. Change it out for the Commander hammer, it will takes you less than 10 minutes (I can do it in less than 5 but I've been using, tinkering with and building 1911s for 40 years). IMO, a better choice than any Glock.
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

Streetstar wrote:After many years of procrastination, i have decided to "make it legal" in regards to procuring my CCW. I have little interest in autoloading pistols, but my state's licensing rules limit you to revolvers only if you use a revolver to take the CCW course. I dont have a lot of use for autos now, but who knows, in 5 years i may have a 1911 fascination or something, so i don't want to limit myself.

The Rock Island pistol is certainly at the right price, but the "Armscor, made in the Phillipines" part would normally turn me away. (these things are less than 400 bucks and look and feel like a Springfield Mil-Spec). Since i am strictly "bench shooting" right now (similar to bench racing, nothing to do with bench rest) i wonder if i should ignore the Phillipine gun and just get a tried and true Glock, especially if the plan is to turn it around and sell it within 3-4 months anyway (Glocks are beautiful for their intended purpose- but i have little long term use for one) . Except for the country of origin, the RIA gun looks like a tough little bugger --

But i am also wondering if i can just use my Mark 2 Ruger to fulfill the autopistol requirement, or if it has to be centerfire. Any Okie CCW holders feel free to chime in if you want.

I bought one . No problems for a " GI " style gun . Reliable .

Accuracy up ro a service gun with service sights . As long as you do not expect ti to be a target gun which it was not intended to be .

They sell 2 upgrade guns , from the base model .

Sold it to a cousin that wanted it worse than I did .

He is learning to shoot it , he had previously shot wheel guns . He is learning it it an ammo gobbler . :-)

God bless
Wyr
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Well, hate to resurrect such an old thread, -- but this is a proper epilogue for the title i guess. But it came at a price.

My Springfield GI, while it chewed a hole through the 10-ring at 15 yards easilly , did so with frequent failure - to -chambers and failures to return to battery. It was taken to 'smith for an ejector clean up and feed ramp polishing for a small amount of coin. I was on the verge of sending it back to Springfield , as it is such a new pistol, but the shipping costs plus the possible 2 month downtime prompted me to start locally. I instructed the 'smith to limit his work to polishing and extractor adjusting-- or whatever he is going to do to it --- and to call me if it needs more than that, and i will send it to SA at that time.

Long story short --- since i bought the thing for my CCW class (which i still haven't taken) --- i hated being without a .45, ----------- The Rock Island got the call from Double-A. I like it so far --- nice trigger for a smaller priced 1911, --- plus i got the Commander size version, so it is more of a CCW piece than the GI model --- plus, it didnt make sense to have 2 entry level full size 1911's. (I'll make room for a Gold Cup or a Nighthawk or something though :lol: )

Anyway --- its pretty basic, but here's the RIA rig ---- it does have a lowered ejection port and a Commander style hammer -- its comfy, but feels small too (i guess its supposed to)

----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Interesting thread Doug.

I'm surprised the issue of capacity hasn't come up. The two reasons I've ventured away from my wheel guns are capacity and ammo.

One double stack magazine has more capacity than my wife's and my wheelgun combined. My 9 holds 17 rds of gold dot when it's full up.

Also I value the reputation and results that 45acp provides. To carry similar potential in a revolver means a five or six shot .44 spcl, and that's the nearly the same size as an EBP that has twice the ammo onboard. My .45 holds 14 rds when it's topped off. That's two revolvers worth.

As much as I like the 1911s and as much as I want one, I still wouldn't favor it for carry, unless it was a second gun.

I know the argument that if you can't stop bgs with a mousegun you're just not trying hard enough. But that doesn't hold much water if you keep up on crime trends, especially the increasingly common home invasions.

Again, not knocking the 1911s. I'd love to have some. But they don't fit my tactical op plans.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

That barrel looks shorter than the Commander-size to me.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:That barrel looks shorter than the Commander-size to me.
Yeah, looks more like Officer size to me.

Durn it Streetstar, yer gonna convince me I NEED another 1911... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

awp101 wrote:
JustaJeepGuy wrote:That barrel looks shorter than the Commander-size to me.
Yeah, looks more like Officer size to me.

Durn it Streetstar, yer gonna convince me I NEED another 1911... :lol:

Best i can tell, the barrel is roughly 3.5" from chamber entrance to the tip . Now i am confused and dont know whether that indicates an Officer or a Commander size :? ? I know the Colt that was the same size had an alloy frame and felt like it was half the weight though

With my admitted limited 1911 experience, i dont know all the nomenclature yet . The guy who wrote up the paperwork referred to it as "Commander sized" , but his 1911 knowledge likely rivals my own :lol: 1911's have a language all their own i've discovered (but i still dont know the language yet :lol: )

Grizz, you neednt worry about the 1911's lack of firepower in my hands --- my home defense/zombie needs are taken care of with my 1894 Marlin (44 Mag) and high capacity shotgun. The 1911 will likely never fill a home defense need. It fits in the center console of my truck very handilly though and would make a fine backup piece to the carbine and scattergun. I like the fact that the 1911 has limited capacity, but nobody except Para Ordinance has felt they really needed to mess with success too much
And to tell the truth, for carrying purposes, i prefer a 357 wheel gun, but i had to have a semi-auto to take the CCW test in my state. Along the way, i fell in love with the 1911 platform :lol: The GI replica i purchased first spoke to me on a nostalgic level, but the fun wore off when, 150 rounds into it , it still wasn't working right. I had just never had a semi that shot as well as it did when it was working tho :D My previous Glock 21 was so light it had a good degree of muzzle flip to deal with ----- the full size GI Springfield makes me think of shooting a miniature M-79 blooper though -- just bloop, bloop, bloop, with very controllable recoil. Just upset the darn thing needs work already---but oh well.

The little Rock Island went through 4 magazine loads flawlessly at my unofficial backyard range today and thats more than i can say the Springfield did by far. I know Springfield now is not the same Springfield from the days of old , but its just hard for me to wrap my mind around letting a pistol be sold that needed work out of the box. Numerous people on a 1911 forum just said "Welcome to 1911 land -- they're just that way sometimes no matter the model or price. Even a Gold Cup can have these issues". --- weird. A Glock 21 on the other hand, runs like a swiss watch ----- that may be the price i pay for trying to stay somewhat nostalgic :lol:

I'll update when i have at least 250 rounds run through it if any of you guys are interested in a more detailed range report of a budget 1911 --- so far all i've been using has been FMJ, but i dont foresee any problems with Gold Dot HP's whatsoever --- the bullets have a cannelure which allows a better crimp that, if anything, makes them chamber better it seems
----- Doug
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

3.5 is an Officer's, I had to check mine to be sure, then I had to clean it too :wink:
Those look nice, I really like that Rock Island.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

The "Commander" barrel is 4.0", if I'm not mistaken.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:The "Commander" barrel is 4.0", if I'm not mistaken.
The commander as original, by colt, is 4.25", there are a lot of companies that call their 4" model a commander though. I don't know where or why that slightly shorter barrel started popping up.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Buffboy wrote:
JustaJeepGuy wrote:The "Commander" barrel is 4.0", if I'm not mistaken.
The commander as original, by colt, is 4.25", there are a lot of companies that call their 4" model a commander though. I don't know where or why that slightly shorter barrel started popping up.
I stand in that well-known place----corrected! Thanks for the clarification.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:I'll update when i have at least 250 rounds run through it if any of you guys are interested in a more detailed range report of a budget 1911 --- so far all i've been using has been FMJ, but i dont foresee any problems with Gold Dot HP's whatsoever --- the bullets have a cannelure which allows a better crimp that, if anything, makes them chamber better it seems
Have you hit 250 rounds yet...?

I did some more trading at the local candy store last week, and wound up with a Rock Island 'wide body' - wasn't going to get it until I found out that Para-Ord magazines fit and function in it just fine. It truly is a 'utilitarian' beast, with a finish to match, but then I wanted it as a 'utilitarian' gun. I have seen alot of 1911 'custom' guns that are beautiful, slick-functioning, but I would cringe if I'd stuck one like that in my Carhart's and it fell out onto the gravel driveway, or even slipped off the dashboard where I'd set it for a moment while I got out in the mud to adjust a drag-chain (both have happened to me with 1911's - thankfully old beat-up ones). Anyway, the Rock Island seems solid, smooth, and well-made. Even has a REALLY nice trigger pull.

My son and I have only put one magazine through the Rock Island, but our impression is like yours - it seems like it will get the job done. I have long fingers, and just like the 'feel' of the wide-body ones, and certainly don't mind the extra capacity, as long as the gun is as reliable as a 'normal' 1911. We'll see - 250 rounds later - much as you have been doing. 8)

Hope both our RI's show they are just as good as the pricier ones out there.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wow --- talk about pulling one from the fire (well, 3 or 4 months) --- -- But in the spirit of a reliability check --perfect.

it is hard to get the exact round count for me because i started reloading for 45 ACP in that time frame --- mainly blasting ammo, so i haven't kept track of an exact round count, but it is above 750. Mostly plated 230 gr bullets, but i have fired 2 boxes of HP's through this and my Springfield to check function as well. Probably 75 to 25 -- RIA vs Springer for the HP's.
Cheap mags with too little spring tension are the bane of both these guns ---- i have been relying on either the stock mag that came with the gun, or a handful of Kimber mags i have been able to pick up. some aftermarket mags i have have given me issues though (K-C mags maybe??_

In my hands, the little gun (the RIA) is still not nearly as accurate as my Springfield GI , but i suppose that is par for the course when comparing a 3.5 barrel to a 5"
Good little gun so far ------------- it gets 50-75 rounds through it everytime i go to the range.

To say i like mine is an understatement --- i havent stopped shooting it long enough to worry about "tricking it out"
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My son has one that has never given us a minute's trouble in 1,000 rounds. No abnormal wear as of yet and functions just fine. Looks like a lot of bang fer yer buck to me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dan K
Levergunner

Post by Dan K »

I've got 2 RIA's and they both are far more accurate than I could ever hope to be. The only problems I have ever had were due to crappy magazines and not the gun in question. I have other 1911's that cost 4x as much, but are no more accurate or reliable.
Dan
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I didn't read all the responses but I think you should get a USED Glock for the purpose. A new 1911 likely will require a break in period which would be your class. Not worth the effort for a gun you're going to sell.

As a GI simple gun the Armscor guns seem good enough to me. If you find a fault it is easy enough to fix. The pimped out versions have zero attraction to me but that is true of the Springfield and Kimber guns as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson