How much training?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

How much training?

Post by jnyork »

Just out of curiosity, how much FORMAL firearms safety and proficiency training have you had? This does not include "My dad taught me to shoot", rather Hunter Education, CCW class, NRA Firearms Safety Class, etc.

Reason I ask, there are many, many people show up at our public range that have obviously never had even 30 seconds of instruction in the Four Rules, or how to behave at the range, or how to aim and fire other than spray and pray.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: How much training?

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Those people all learned their gun handling from Hollywood, where else?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:Those people all learned their gun handling from Hollywood, where else?
Got that right!! :shock:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

USMC, Reserve Law Enforcement Academy, Basic Law Enforcement Academy, Sniper Basic and Advanced, numerous high risk entry courses. I've had more than five minutes worth. Oh, and I did attend hunter education and successfully passed at 12 YOA.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

27½ years of the various US Army courses plus I instructed/ran ranges (you learn about people doing that!). I'm not a whiz kid but I'm competent.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

4 years HS/JROTC Small Bore Rifle Team
2 yrs USARNG including a stint as Range NCO
4 yrs Active Duty
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My training:
Boy Scouts of America, NRA Jr. Marksmanship Program, CCW, Hunter Safety, and NRA Range Officer Program.

Oregon requires Hunter Safety for all minors that want to get a hunting license. If you're an adult nothing is required other than you pay for a hunting license. Makes you wonder...
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Boy Scouts
Hunter Safety in middle school
NRA Courses
CCW Course
3 hours paid defense training at the range
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Law Enforcement Academy.

CCW Course.
Last edited by TedH on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

US Army basic and advanced infantry training, Federal Law Enforcement Training at Glynco, GA.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Kansas Hunters Safety
USAF Basic Training and annual requalification on M16, M60, and M15 (38 revolver)
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Just hunter safety and CCW training for me.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Alot of people may not believe this. I spent 12 years in the navy, have been in the Army NG for seven years, and am about to start my third tour in Iraq, yet I have never had one minute of what I would consider to be meaningful training.

In navy basic, I got a brief safety lecture, then was handed a 1911 with a 22 kit. I fired ten rounds, handed it to the instructor to change magazines, fired ten more rounds, and so on. All I had to do was hit the paper, not the silhouette, just the paper, twenty out of thirty times.

On my first ship, I "qualified" with the M-14 (three shots into the berm at thirty yards) and the shotgun (three from the shoulder, two from the hip into the berm at thirty yards).

I never went to Army basic, and I don't count IWQ as training, unless I happen to run across a group of insurgents who stand at attention in an open field for 3 to 5 seconds at a time. I certainly don't believe that qualifying "expert" actually makes me an expert. But alot of people do.

I have been a range safety NCO on the zero range a few times, but my training consisted of "You're going to be a range safety today. Here's a paddle."
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

At one time, I held the record for the state of NM having passed hunters safety at age 7 with a 92% but I think that has since been beat. Does 3 yrs of Army count including 6 different deployments?
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I remember shooting a pellet gun in the cub scouts, but don't remember the saftey training. Other than that just the Hunter's Saftey Course.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Zero, other than a couple adults who were safe gun handlers, and showed me how to shoot particular guns (in terms of working the actions and basic shooting tips), between age 5 and 10. After that, I read books (including the OLD instruction manuals which came with guns that had practical advice and not just lawyer-eze).

My kids were taught more formally; I'd get home from work and just do a short walk around 4-5 acres of woods and pasture (with whichever gun that needed a walk), and if a kid wanted to go, they grabbed their dowel-rod 'double-barrel' and came along. I made a sling for it out of a shoelace, and the rule was they HAD to carry or sling it the way I was at all times, even if we were talking and walking and other stuff. As they got good at our little game, I'd do things like weave over to the other side of them and take note of whether or not they'd automatically switch their gun to pointing the other way, etc. After they got older, I let them carry real .22's without a bolt, then with the bolt, then with ammo in pocket, etc. For shooting lessons I started with .22's from rests, then gradually to bigger stuff. I'd slip in a live round and aim the 'empty' gun downrange after they'd just seen me unload it, and ask them how sure they were it was unloaded. Of course they were sure, having just looked in the action and seen an empty chamber, so we'd usually wind up betting a whole box of Oreos or something. I only had to do that a few times until they really understood ALL guns are to be considered loaded. (Demo most effective with a .308 or something loud after the hearing protectors are off - the 'startle' factor seems to help the message sink in.)

Now my young kids seem to handle guns better than many folks who are adults who handle guns for a living (including cops, DNR people, gunsmiths, etc.) which makes me proud of them.

I do see too many young and old novices buying guns that seem too careless with them, and I wonder if that's the way I really was when I was in my 20's and just don't remember it that way, or if they are really less careful than I was. It always seems like the over-fifty crowd (me) views the under-thirty crowd as clueless and irresponsible, and has since Adam and Eve, so I hope the people I see buying their first gun these days are going to be as conscientious as I was as a kid, but I'm not sure; in many other ways our whole society is less responsible.

It is tempting to require safety instruction, although I see so many people I know HAVE had safety instruction be among the most careless, that I'm not sure that would be helpful.

Plus there is ALWAYS the concern, especially in an anti-gun political environment, that the 'basic safety course' mutates from a few hours at a range with any LEO to something costing $200 and only available on Thursday morning three times a year in Lafayette, and you have to attend three consecutive sessions. That kind of thing has happened, and ruined the good intent of the more reasonable programs.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I started with Boy Scout basic marksmanship traning. I began shooting small bore competition at age 12 and went to high-power at age 16. I have been to Camp Perry four times and fired in the National Mathews. I also attended August Military Academy in Virginia, went though their marksmanship training and shot on their rifle team. I have been through the basic Border Patrol pistol, shotgun and sub-gun training, although as a civilian. Several us us knew the instructor and he put us through the program on Saturdays at the Academy. It was fun shooting BP guns and ammo. This was back in the early 60's. I also have been through the Texas CHL training three times.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Everything I know about shooting and rifles...I learned right here on Leverguns.com :lol:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My father and uncle instilled in me a basic respect for things that go boom with consequences at the other end. After that was 5 years in the Army --- i was not a 71L (not that theres anything wrong with that) --- i am 11B and was subjected to repetitive firearms combat drills for 4 years --- this included safety training, because nothing is worse than shooting your buddy in the back during a house clearing drill.

I have attended a few local classes (CCW, hunters safety and the like) and have found that my training is more than half the "instructors" i have encountered have had (i have also met some sharp folk out there though). Its almost like personal trainers at a gym --- if you look like a fit dude or dudette, you may as well be a PT even if you are a total blockhead.

Safety and knowledge does not exist in a certificate, but rather has to be practiced everyday
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I got interested in guns early. My mom showed some wisdom many do not:
Home Firearm Safety.JPG
I was surprised I still have that certificate. Check the date. I also found some of my marksmanship medals and awards.
Since then I've had gun safety training on the armored truck job.

That's about it.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I know you said no"my dad taught me". Well sir my brother,sister, and me all had the finest,strictest most complete firearms safety training any kid could get. When my dad was sixteen he was shot in the face with a shotgun while rabbit hunting. He was in the hospital several months and lost his right eye. That did not turn him from firearms and hunting, but it sure did turn him into a very safety conscious man and father. 1958 basic training at Fort Leonard Wood then Fort Ord for advanced infantry training.
Arkansas CCW. So not much formal training and certificates for this ol hoss.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My experience seems pretty typical.

Firearms safety in the Boy Scouts, Hunter Safety in 4 different states, 13 years "marksmanship training" in the USMC, and a handful of CCW courses.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My Dad taught me! :wink:

Just kidding, though that is where things got ingrained for life. He was superb with his knowledge and expectations for safety. Then...
12 Years old hunter safety course in Delano, CA It was a good common sense course.
17 Years old US Army Infantry School Fort Benning and 3 years on live fire courses in the Army(you have to watch what an 18 year old kid from Brooklyn with a SAW is doing behind you when your on those ranges :shock:).

I've had some mental flatulence with firearms, but none with my muzzle pointed at someone else, thankfully!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I got shot once, does that count?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Grew up with guns had a lot of informal training with my dad.
Shot SASS for many years and got pointers from the likes of China Camp
12.5 years USMC being trained in basic rifle marksmanship.
Went threw Marine Combat Marksmanship Rifle and Pistol Coaches course.
Competed in Base intramural rifle and pistol competions.

Even with all that training even I have a brain fanny burp every now and again but I have never flagged anyone.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I had my extensive training over 20 years ago. Took about 30 seconds. It went like this.
lesson part 1.This is a 30-30. The rounds go in here. Work the lever. Pull the trigger, and the bullet comes out here.
lesson part 2. Dont point it at anything, unless you want to make a hole in it.
lesson part 3. Guns are always loaded.

To this date, I have not put a hole in anything that I did not intend to.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My dad taught me at very young age. I took hunter safety course in Illinois and Michigan with my son so he would be able to get a hunting license in those states. NRA certified rifle, pistol, shotgun, safety instructor. Range officer training at the range where I was a member in Michigan. I was BSA troop instructor for merit badges, and ran the shooting range at BSA summer camp when I lived in Michigan. My certifications have expired after moving to Indiana due to lack of use.
UNITE
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

no formal training at all...pistol or rifle...
just a life long shooter...started at the age of 7

Shotgun...no formal training....
But did learn a few things from a former state champ
in skeet....he taught me to shoot an asprin out of the air
with a pellet gun...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

21 years with Uncle Sam and various courses starting at basic firearms at USNA. Moved onto competition and Officer Rep for the Navy East Coast Rifle and Pistol team, and sniper courses at Quantico. Ran a pistol range and taught CCW course, certified NRA instructor, for 4 years. Used all this "knowledge" for a few months in a far off land a few years back. I am appalled at the "range safety" i have seen at public ranges. I rarely even go there anymore.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

back years ago... hung around a NRA -CMP-Boy Scout youth marksmanship program
Dad and Uncles taught me how to shoot in the woods

Hunter Safety Course (back in the 70's when they first came into being)

Lately ... some CCW mandated classes
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

my dad taught me trumped anything i ever received from the govenment, state or any thing else. never attended any of the RAMBO SHOOTING SCHOOLS, and i doubt if i ever will.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Self-taught, not very successfully. Then entered the armed forces... same training... but extra pushups when I screwed up... much more successful.

Then, with schools in tactics, sniper, entry and LOTS of practice, I have a good grasp on what I don't know.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Self-taught, not very successfully. Then entered the armed forces... same training... but extra pushups when I screwed up... much more successful.

Then, with schools in tactics, sniper, entry and LOTS of practice, I have a good grasp on what I don't know.
That's good, Griff. I like it. :D
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not to twist the thread or anything, but was just thinking about 'formal training' and my job...

The discipline was instilled in early years and was more part of a family/upbringing thing, rather than task-specific, and then there was the classroom/didactic stuff - mostly to weed out the lazy, rather than to actually instill practical knowledge. 90% of what I've learned that MATTERS, I've learned from patients - not so much 'experimenting' on them, as just honing the 'art' of medicine vs. the textbook/cookbook part. There are medical students I teach who are straight-A types I'd not trust to treat a sore throat, and there are pizza-delivery people who probably have the integrity, conscientiousness, and intelligence that given time, I could hone them to be really good physicians...

Anyway - back to 'guns' ... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I've been through hunter safety school with my daughter and have been through three trainings for my CHL and renewal. I also attended an intense pistol craft school.

None of those scratched the surface of the level of instruction I got from my father. He used firearms as a major tool in teaching me to be a man.

It counts.