After 55 years on the planet, Noah discovers Mossberg .22s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

After 55 years on the planet, Noah discovers Mossberg .22s

Post by Noah Zark »

Lost my Mossberg .22 rifle cherry this past weekend, and I'm wondering why it took this long. Got this MINT late-40s-vintage Mossberg Model 42M(c) at a gun club swap meet for $120:

It's wearing a Marlin front sight that I installed to replace the multi-post sheet metal front sight that came with the rifle; some of the four front posts are a little wobbly in the sight base, and I didn't want to fire the rifle with sights a little wobbly. I also removed the rear sight from the barrel for test firing purposes because it partially obstructed the view of the front sight from the peep.

After a good cleaning and lubing the 42M(c) went to the range and got warmed up with a box of Wolf match 22s and plain jane Minimags. The action is VERY smooth to manipulate. Using the receiver peep and the Marlin front sight, I had no problems busting claybirds on the 50 yd berm. The mag holds 7 rds, so I placed 14 orange discs on the berm. The first string I missed one, the second string I hit 7/7. I shot up the rest of the box of Wolf ammo by making the broken claybird bits smaller and smaller . . .

These things could become addictive . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: After 55 years on the planet, Noah discovers Mossberg .22s

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats Noah! They are overlooked guns. My brother and I had an early Mossberg 22 growing up in Arizona. I believe it was my Grandfathers...and was made in 1937. We routinely traded off between this one, and an Ithaca 49 single shot, switching back and forth. There is probably no other gun that I have such fond memories of and has accounted for more family fun than any other item that I have. My boys haven't shot it yet as I've been restoring it, but will do so soon. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

That is an interesting gun with the long forend....don't know that I have ever seen one before.....very nice.....there's nothing like a 22 for a day of shooting.
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Noah Zark wrote:Lost my Mossberg .22 rifle cherry this past weekend, and I'm wondering why it took this long. Got this MINT late-40s-vintage Mossberg Model 42M(c) at a gun club swap meet for $120:

It's wearing a Marlin front sight that I installed to replace the multi-post sheet metal front sight that came with the rifle; some of the four front posts are a little wobbly in the sight base, and I didn't want to fire the rifle with sights a little wobbly. I also removed the rear sight from the barrel for test firing purposes because it partially obstructed the view of the front sight from the peep.

After a good cleaning and lubing the 42M(c) went to the range and got warmed up with a box of Wolf match 22s and plain jane Minimags. The action is VERY smooth to manipulate. Using the receiver peep and the Marlin front sight, I had no problems busting claybirds on the 50 yd berm. The mag holds 7 rds, so I placed 14 orange discs on the berm. The first string I missed one, the second string I hit 7/7. I shot up the rest of the box of Wolf ammo by making the broken claybird bits smaller and smaller . . .

These things could become addictive . . .

Noah
John Taffin just wrote about getting one of these. Neat.

I have an old Mossberg, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Noah -

Now you know why so many of us are stocking up on .22 LR, L, S ammo. Not just for forseen ammo shortages but because those things are so addictive. It's easy,quick, and a hoot to shoot a whole box of .22s in a short time. Lots of fun.

Great rifle and great find.
ED
Yer never too old
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those things are scary accurate. I had one years ago and can't remember why I got rid of it. There are some people who collect them. IIRC and someone might want to correct me on this but I think the version you have is called a musket.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

dont think i have ever seen one of those. interesting
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Sometimes simple stuff is simply fun.

I bet I've bought at traded 30 bolt action .22's of various makes and magazine styles over the years... an all have shot much better than I do.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

What memories, those old Mossbergs sure had an appeal to us younguns during the 1940's with their military looks. All were great shooters too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have the same rifle. it's on the heavy side, but extremely accurate. your gonna get addicted to this one, even if it aint a lever.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'll say the Mossberg is underrated. :D I had a standard beater from the 1950's and was out back playing with it. It shot groups that were half of what a marlin 39 was doing.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had one identical to yours many years ago. It was a very good shooter. I especially liked the front sight setup.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, that's why I love the .22 LR cartridge most of all. You can shoot for hours on end without a care in the world or wallet. An accurate .22 is simply one of life's best pleasures!!!

Congrats Noah! :D
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I picked up a Mossberg 46B (1954 vintage) last year in a pawn shop for $90.00. It is a full man sized 22 and just like the military training rifles, except with a tubular magazine instead of a clip. They attatched a rib to the underside of the barrel and the magazine to the rib. Thusly done, the rifles doesn't walk or change POI as it heats it or the number of rounds in the magazine change. It will outshoot my Marlin 39 and will give my Browning T-Bolt a run for it's money. A Winchester 52 it isn't, but has all the accuracy ever needed for field use and less than high level target shooting.

These old Mossbergs are sleepers on the used firearms market. Folks walk by them without given a second look.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I picked one up a couple years ago during a brief stay up north. Great little rifle, wish I could bring it back with me. The real bummer is trying to find a spare magazine for one. Anyone have a spare magazine they'd sell reasonable? Oh, yours has the sling too. Mine has an old 4X 3/4" scope on it. Fun little rifle. Took a fox squirrel or two with it. Now I've got an original Mossberg scope that will be replacing the ??? that was on it. Can't wait to get back up north and dig it out of the cache to play with. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

mossberg makes / made great guns, only down side is they don't cost enough to have any serious snob appeal, but put the bullets where the sights are
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

cpt Dan Blodgett wrote:mossberg makes / made great guns, only down side is they don't cost enough to have any serious snob appeal, but put the bullets where the sights are
Kinda like the Savage bolt action. Wicked accurate, eh?

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .