OT?--Browning quality

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT?--Browning quality

Post by getitdone1 »

Boy, Browning sure does make good guns. Just wish they'd take the shine off of many of them. Of course they do with some and I recently bought one of them chambered for the .243 Winchester cartridge.

Bought a Browining A-Bolt II, stainless w/walnut stock. Inletting outstanding, nice grain/look to the wood and the contrast of the dull stainless metal and wood is really pretty. The short upward movement of the bolt handle is nice. Just quality all the way.

Then there's my Browning 1886 SRC and 71 Carbine. Probably add a Browning 22 auto and maybe a Browning 22 MRF A-Bolt, this last to take the place of my heavy but nice Anschutz with it's very cumbersome safety lever.

There's no other company that makes so many quality guns of all types. By all types I mean pistol, rifle and shotgun. A guy could make all of his guns Browning and be in fine shape.

(Maybe I should have said "no other (AMERICAN) company" since H&K came to mind. Do they make shotguns? Think they do and of course they make quality products.)

Anybody else here think highly of Browning?

Don McCullough
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I have over 2 dozen brownings, my very favorite being the auto-5 sweet sixteen made in 1956
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I only have one Browning rifle. It's a BL-22 lever action in .22LR that I got a few months ago. The fit and finish on it is superb and the action is as smooth as butter. A truly beautiful fifle. The only negative thing about it is that it is "tube loaded/fed" and the only reason that that it is a negative for me is that I have become used to my Ruger 96/22s and Ruger 10/22s that load so quickly with a magazine.

My local gun shop has a Browning BLR lever action in .243 that I have been eye-balling for about the last three months. If it's still there after the New Year, I just may get it. It is an absolutely beautiful rifle.
ED
Yer never too old
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I have owned many Brownings over the years, my first pistol was a Buckmark .22, and I regret to this day letting it go. Have owned several A-Bolts, a couple of BL22's, a sweet 16, and have owned 2 BLR's 1 in .270 and the one I currently own in .308. Love them, well made, excellent shooters, and beautiful to look at.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I agree, I could sell everthing but my Brownings and still have a pretty good arsenal for about everthing from self defense, small game, upland game, and big game, and look good doing it.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I like Browning too. I have a BLR in 358 Win and an early 50s vintage Light 12. Would hate to part with either one of them.
Well done is better than well said.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I really like the 86 repros made in the miroku plant. You are right, they are shiny. 1886.
admiral
Levergunner

Post by admiral »

i personally feel that the fit and finish vs. price on Brownings is one of the best values in firearms. i wish firearms could be made in America with the same price and quality that Miroku has but those days are gone.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

1886 wrote:I really like the 86 repros made in the miroku plant. You are right, they are shiny. 1886.

Actually I was refering to the glossy wood finish Browning puts on so many of their guns. I also don't like the "slick" feel of high-gloss wood.
I prefer a wood finish like on most Marlin lever-actions or the old hand-rubbed linseed oil finish.

I believe Browning is "coming-around" to less shiny guns. To me it is not a quality look. Like a person who "dolls-up" too much.

Don McCullough
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

The shiny finish doesn't do it for me..still I like those new takedown BLR's..I was wondering how one could swap calibers in them..meaning you could get one in .358 and switch it to a .308 or .243 etc etc..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Browning does make some quality firearm's ( or rather they contract out to some high standard's ) My BLR, 1886 SRC and citori shotgun have never given me any trouble and could easily be my only gun's till the end. Merry Christmas.
Karl
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The shiny finish doesn't do it for me..still I like those new takedown BLR's..I was wondering how one could swap calibers in them..meaning you could get one in .358 and switch it to a .308 or .243 etc etc..
Never thought of that, wonder if this is possible?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I do not like the shiny/glossy wood either. I was referring to the quality. I much prefer a tung oil finish but I would probably never refinish the wood on these rifles. 1886.