model 94 in 307

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gregd
Levergunner

model 94 in 307

Post by gregd »

Picked up a 94 in 307 caliber today and was wondering what you guys think of this caliber. I wish I would have checked on the availibility of ammo first as it seems a little hard to find, does anyone have a clue where I can find ammo for this gun?
Thanx,

Greg
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...MidwayUSA list the ammo as in stock.

...old goat
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

A great gun and caliber! There's few things it won't do, and do well. I don't know if there is much factory stuff still produced...probably still is by Winchester but you'll be paying a premium. To shoot it alot and have the rifle perform to it's full potential, you will probably have to handload and there are plenty of components available. www.midwayusa.com should have brass. There are a number of dedicated 307 Win. shooters here, and you will want to touch bases with forumite William "Slim" Iorg who has rung this cartridge out pretty good. Congrats and keep us posted.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Congrats. If you have difficulty finding brass, I know where some can be had. 1886.
gregd
Levergunner

Post by gregd »

Thanks guys, I'll give midway a try. I'm relatively new to the "new" generation of 94"s, I've always liked the pre 64"s and have never had trouble finding what I needed. Anyways, thanks again, I cant wait to put a few thru it. By the way, I paid 300 for the gun and I knew the previous original owner, its been fired maybe 10 times and is in new condition, is that a good price. Like I said if it was a pre 64 in 25-35 I would know what to pay but this is the newest gun in my collection.
Thanks again,
Greg
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Is that a good price, you ask? I believe that is referred to as "theft". (the thief being you)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Fantastic purchase!!!! Good luck with it!! A range report would be nice!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

gregd wrote:Thanks guys, I'll give midway a try. I'm relatively new to the "new" generation of 94"s, I've always liked the pre 64"s and have never had trouble finding what I needed. Anyways, thanks again, I cant wait to put a few thru it. By the way, I paid 300 for the gun and I knew the previous original owner, its been fired maybe 10 times and is in new condition, is that a good price. Like I said if it was a pre 64 in 25-35 I would know what to pay but this is the newest gun in my collection.
Thanks again,
Greg

DUH! You could have twice that amount and still be in the ballpark. nice going. Take your friend out to dinner. He saved you a bundle.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Greg, and excellent rifle at a great price! It's pretty much the equal of a .308 out to about 200yds. Congrats! Ed
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Greg

The 307 Winchester Big Bore is a great gun/cartridge combination and I think you will love it. Have a pre safety Big Bore and that's a keeper for sure. Love the feel and look of all Winchester Big Bore models. Some groups of my BB 307 Winchester with 180grs. factory ammo at 100 meters.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I can never understand why they were not popular and over here :?:
Good luck. Happy Christmass and New year, Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

307 win.

Post by brucew44guns »

It is encouraging for me when I see a guy like you being blessed with a nice bargain such as your 307 rifle. It can happen ever now and then, but it sure feels good when it does happen. Good luck with that rifle, hope another good deal falls your way soon.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

try sportsman guide and nantecz. see it listed time to time. great caliber in a great rifle! keep shootin' them 94 bigbores
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Basically a Winchester 300 Savage. Good round.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gregd
Levergunner

Post by gregd »

Thanks guys for all the support and info on this gun, its got a certain look to it thats hard to resist. I have some 180 grain headed at me in the mail and cant wait to shoot it, also want to put a few 130 grain thru it just to see the difference. I think this is one of those guns that will probably go to my son............ someday :)

Greg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a 444 BB that is very accurarte and I know Ravenman has at least one other that shoots very accurately.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

you stole that for half of what its worth.
Paco
Site Owner

TRY IT MIGHT WORK

Post by Paco »

L.SMALE... THAT AFTER I RAN 308 BRASS THRU THE 307 DIE.. MY 307/94 ACTUALLY CYCLED THE RIMLESS BRASS..... I ALSO FIRED 308 COMMERCIAL ROUNDS IN MY 356/94 FIREFORMING THEM AND THEN THEY CYCLED THRU THE 356/94 EVEN THOU RIMLESS... GIVE IT A TRY.. PACO.. :wink:
PACO/OWNER
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I heard you could shoot .308win through the .307win..Would the higher pressure be a problem?? I wonder if .308 marlin would work?? I have never shot or handeled either round..I an just curious..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

The 308 Marlin is shorter, so you could not interchange them. They also made it shorter to allow for the pointy tip bullet with a longer ogive and better ballistics than the 307 could produce, at least at longer ranges.

As for the 308, the BB will most likely handle it but I ask WHY? Load the 307 to its potential and you're so close as not to matter. If you want better long range ballistics, load a point tip bullet, BUT only load one in chamber and ONE in magazine, so bumping primers isn't an issue.

I had a chance to buy one of these for $500 a couple years ago, THOUGHT I wanted a 356 more. Now I wish I'd bought it.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Savage99 wrote:I heard you could shoot .308win through the .307win..Would the higher pressure be a problem?? I wonder if .308 marlin would work?? I have never shot or handeled either round..I an just curious..
No, I would stay away from that, interchanging factory 307 Win's with the 308 Marlin or 308 Win that is. Same goes for load data. The 307 has slightly less capacity than the 308 Win. per the manuals and water tests done by Slim Iorg. Using the 308 Win. BRASS has been done, but 307 Win. brass is available so I would just use it and load data for 307 Win. only. In addition, every gun is an individual with it's own max loads. Work up carefully.
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gregd
Levergunner

Post by gregd »

I sure like this forum...... you guys actually awnser my questions before I ask. I mean 308 in a gun built for 307? Sounds possible and I was definitly headed that way. Think I'll just stay with original equipment and enjoy.

Greg