Any Cimarron (Uberti) '76 shooters here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Any Cimarron (Uberti) '76 shooters here?

Post by Yance »

OK, my buddy finally took possession of his new Cimarron '76 in .45-60 the day before Christmas Eve. He managed to slip it into the safe before his sweet little wifemate got home from work, not that she'd know the difference in a '73 and a '76, but if she were to see 3 that looked a LOT alike, questions might arise. :shock:

My question is about barrel finish in the Ubertis. Should I have him go through the jacketed bullet break in procedure, shoot 1, clean, shoot 1, clean...etc or is the factory finish good enough to just start with 20-1 boolits and Goex? Maybe just a few "gravel 'n' grease" boolits loaded over some Trail Boss would do just as well.

After break in this rifle will only see Goex and grease cookies under Lyman's 457191 with Glen Larson's BPCR Supreme.

TIA for any insights.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any Cimarron (Uberti) '76 shooters here?

Post by 1886 »

I have an Uberti 76 .45-60. The bore on my rifle is very smooth and uniform. Mine is a cast shooter exclusively. No particular barrel break in procedure taken. I clean my cast shooters with Ballistol exclusively. A couple of wet patches then one dry patch and back into the safe they go. I store in a sock muzzle down. Run a very tight fitting patch down the bore of your rifle. Does it feel smooth and uniform or does it feel rough and uneven? This procedure should tell you volumes about your rifle's bore. Hope you enjoy yours. 1886.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mine in 45-75 certainly was. I enjoyed it very much
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have an Uberti 76 in 45-60. I think the best breakin for a rifle your going to shoot cast, and/or BP in is to shoot what you plan to shoot. Avoid putting copper fouling in a bore you want to shoot cast in. Just my .02.

Here is a site devoted to the 76. :)

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ,89.0.html
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva