Reloading Press, Reccomendattions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading Press, Reccomendattions

Post by oldmax »

I am looking for a Press ( reasonably priced ) single stage:
That does not have any linkage move behind the ram.
My present press, when you operate it, the linkage moves rearward and hits the table
( I had to cut a notch in the table ).
I am building a new table and area for reloading and do not want to have to carve up the
bench to install the old press...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading Press, Reccomendattions

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I mounted a steel plate to the bench and an adaptor plate holds the press. Also my lubrisizers and other presses like for shotgun bolt to the same plate. takes about 1 min. to switch over from one to the other.
I know of no good press that mounts flat against the bench without needing a notch cut in it. :D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

A RCBS Rockchucker will mount the way you want. Mine is mounted hard up against the edge of my bench and nothing hits the bench. Very tough press too.

Cat
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hmmm. I had to notch my bench out for my Rockchucker.
NRA Life Member
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Catshooter wrote:A RCBS Rockchucker will mount the way you want. Mine is mounted hard up against the edge of my bench and nothing hits the bench. Very tough press too.
Cat
Ditto! And I didn't notch my bench for it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I didn't have to cut a notch for my Hornady single stage.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax wrote:I am looking for a Press ( reasonably priced ) single stage:
That does not have any linkage move behind the ram.
My present press, when you operate it, the linkage moves rearward and hits the table
( I had to cut a notch in the table ).
I am building a new table and area for reloading and do not want to have to carve up the
bench to install the old press...

oldmax,

The Forster Co-Ax is like you are asking for. Nothing behind the press at all. Al the linkage is on the front above the shell plate.
It's a very strong, easily usable press. Lots of leverage too.
Midway has them right now for just a hair over 2 C notes. $208.99 Part # 265-719
Oh, I know this seems like a lot of money for a single stage press, but I consider it a reasonable price for what you get.

I love mine so much I have two of them. Both my RCBS presses are still in the box they came back from RCBS in. Oh well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I use the single stage that Midway sells under their Frankford Arsenal name. It is large, made of cast aluminum, and works very well for everything I have tried from .22 Hornet to .375 H&H. The linkage is in the front and requires no cut out of the bench. I mounted mine where it wouldn't matter as you can see, but I believe it would serve you well. It is affordable too.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Thanks guys...

Looked at a Rockchucker today, It's Heavy !!!
Had one in Gander mountain, Couldn't find anyone to give me a price,

Looking at the steel plate idea, I have a 12 inch section of 14" I beam,
may be I can mount my old one on it and clamp it the the bench...

Fosters seem a little expensive for me, to old to wear it out...

Thanks again...
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Hey, Guncase. What is that green tool with the horizontal handle on the right corner of the desk, there??? Some sort of priming tool?

Thanks,
Scott
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

No notch on my Lee single-stage press either...
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Scott,
Yes, it's an RCBS bench priming tool. I like it much better than using the press or a hand priming tool. With this tool, you load a pick up tube by placing it over the primers that you pour out in a flip tray or something like it. With the tube loaded, turn it upside down into the tool and pull the pin to let the primers flow out the bottom. Pushing the handle down places a primer on the priming cup. Release the handle and the primer tube moves out of the way. Then, push the handle down again to seat the primer. It is very fast, and eliminates handling the primer. Also, I can "feel" the primer being seated much better than my hand tool.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'll just add another recommendation for the Rockchucker. And I think you do need a little clearance down a ways back behind the press - most benches it won't be a problem but if you use a 2x4 turned the wide way as a facing for example, I could see the press bumping it...

Since we're showing reloading areas, here's mine again :D

You can see my rockchucker over on the right - and notice that the supports under the counter are recessed a couple of inches so there's no problem with the press hitting...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Another advantage to the Rockchucker is that you can get a Piggyback for it. Then you load pistol and some (short) rifle rounds progressively.

Cat
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The Lee Classic Cast Turret Press doesn't hit the table either. If you want the single stage version it uses the same linkage. It's the one with the big red triangular base.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nite Ryder
Levergunner

Post by Nite Ryder »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dillon. I have a Rockchucker that I use for 45-70 and other rifle catridges, but for handguns I use a 550B Dillons. I have one set up for small pistol primers and one set up for large pistol primers. I have dies for 10 MM, 38 Super, 38 Special, 44 mag, 45 C, that I use in the Dillons. I load more 38 special than anything else, almost on a weekly basis, so that machine is always just setting there waiting. My shotshell loader is a Mec 9000G.

NR
If its got a cork,I'll drink it - if it's got a tune,I'll dance to it - if it's got a trigger, I'll shoot it - if it's got hair, I'll ride it.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I'm a Dillon Fan started with a RL450 & upgraded to a RL550B to load 38spec,357mag,45acp,32-20,45lc,454casull,sw460mag,243,30-06,300wm & 45-70.Dillon has a no BS lifetime warranty.A friend of ours invited us to Pa for a whitetail hunt on his 1/2 section in November/December,had a great time driving from S. Calif & the hunt even thoughI never saw a legal whitetail buck.We decided to give our friends a special gift that they could enjoy ,we bought them a Dillon RL550B in 308 with 6mm & 41mag conversions kits.Get a Dillon RL550B & never look back it's a great ammo loader check prices on ebay might save you a bit. My shotshell loader is a 12g progressive Pacific DL366 now owned by Hornaday. Some info 98% of the professional shooters load with Dillon Machines & the RL550B is the most popular loader made!