Winchester Model 1895 Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Model 1895 Questions

Post by okdee »

Hello, I read this forum most everyday and do not post much, but I would like some feedback as the
Winchester Model 1895 lever-action rifles and carbines.

I am kinda looking to bring one into the family. :D

Does anyone own one (or more) and what caliber(s)? Are there pros and cons to the .405, 30-06, 30-40, and 270 calibers?
I would prefer getting one of the earlier 1900's models. Maybe a SRC. Having never handled one, this may or may not be a good idea, does someone have some insight for that? :?:

I would be using it for target shooting and maybe some hunting, maybe deer, or hogs.

Thanks and Merry Christmas! :)

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester Model 1895 Questions

Post by dkmlever »

You should look at the Browning 1895 they do not have the safety or rebounding hammer. Look at the classified there are two for sale.
The 405 is expensive to shoot and hits both ends hard, the 270 was not very popular as it traditionaly was not a lever caliber.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

You should look at the Browning 1895 as they do not have the lawyer safety or rebounding hammers. There are two for sale on the classified pages.
The 405 is going to be expensive to shoot and hits ahrd on both ends. The 270 was not as popular as it was not a traditional lever caliber.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

As far as original Winchester calibers there were also: 30-03, 38-72, 7.62x54 Russian and .35 WCF.

A model 95 SRC in 30-06, was the first levergun I'd ever bought and have knocked off quite a few whitetail and other critters with it.
I also have a 35WCF rifle and a 7.62 Russian musket at this time. I've had several others but have sold a few here and there.

I've not had one of the Japanese 95s but almost bought one about a month back but something else came up. I do like the older Brownings w/o the safety. Nicely made rifles.
I see the 270s and '06s come up for sale quite regularly and for decent prices.
I really want one in 30-40!
Great rifles and have always been my favorite Winchester levergun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I own and shoot on a regular basis , one of the new 95's in 405. The 405 is an accurate cartridge, easy to load for, but is a bit severe in the recoil dept,with full house loads.
One of the complaints oft passed on about the 95 is the magazine is supposedly at the balance point and makes it a problem to carry. I've not found that to be the case, and as a matter of fact find the 95 much nicer to deal with carrying while hunting the the Marlin or even the Savage 99.
I also don't uderstand the whinin, and bellyaching about the tang safety, it for the most part is totally ignorable, just set it to fire and forget about it. In fact that tang safety was a help on one ambush set up for antelope, I was able to lay in the grass waiting for the antelope to get within range, and while I didn't want any excess movement or noise due to the closeness of the encounter that was going to happen . I cocked the hammer and set the safety, then when the old buck got to where I could shoot it was a simple matter to ease that safety off with my thumb and fire.
I also don't have a problem with the rebounding hammer on any of the Winchester models that some folks seem to cry about all the time. :roll:
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

2ndovc wrote:As far as original Winchester calibers there were also: 30-03, 38-72, 7.62x54 Russian and .35 WCF.

A model 95 SRC in 30-06, was the first levergun I'd ever bought and have knocked off quite a few whitetail and other critters with it.
I also have a 35WCF rifle and a 7.62 Russian musket at this time. I've had several others but have sold a few here and there.

I've not had one of the Japanese 95s but almost bought one about a month back but something else came up. I do like the older Brownings w/o the safety. Nicely made rifles.
I see the 270s and '06s come up for sale quite regularly and for decent prices.
I really want one in 30-40!
Great rifles and have always been my favorite Winchester levergun.

jb 8)
Hey JB, in your title, did you mean 30-40 is one of the original calibers? Is that a straight wall or a bottle neck cartridge?

thanks for your insight! You got me going on this!

OKD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Hi, okdee :)

I have owned a number of 1895s over the years, both original and current manufacture. When I was living in Alaska, I hunted quite a bit with my Browning 95 in 30-06, and really found it to be a easy rifle to carry either slung or in the hand. I like the way the 1895 packs with the balance point at the box magazine.

My current favorite is the newly made SRC in 30-40 Krag. The SRC is a quick handling, fast mounting piece that comes to point NOW. It would be my pick for a hunting arm hands down. I don't get any heart burn over the tang safety, and consider it a plus for field use. I have owned original SRC 1895, and the new one is a perfect copy in all respects.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

As far as original '95 calibers go, let's not forget the .40-72 WCF. I own only one 1895 Winchester, a SRC in .30 Gov't '06. It is a light and handy little gun that functions beautifully. It is well worn, but also mechanically perfect and has an excellent bore. I have no experience with either the recently manufactured Browning or Winchester '95s. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Oops, I forgot to ad photos of my carbine. Here it is, and another of the little Blacktail buck I took a couple of years ago. BTW, it is circa 1925. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Oh Boy! :D You all have me kinda slobberin on myself! Both the new and the old look pretty awesome! I am intriqued by the 30-40 caliber, but I have a number of bolt action rifles in 30-06. Oh, dang! What to do?

Has anyone reloaded for both the 30-40 Krag and the 30-06?

In the perfect world, I just may have to get one of each! Jus ta find out myself! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the input and Merry Christmas!

OKD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike D. wrote:As far as original '95 calibers go, let's not forget the .40-72 WCF. I own only one 1895 Winchester, a SRC in .30 Gov't '06. It is a light and handy little gun that functions beautifully. It is well worn, but also mechanically perfect and has an excellent bore. I have no experience with either the recently manufactured Browning or Winchester '95s. :)

I knew I was forgetting one!

One More!! .303 British! That's been one elusive critter for me. Never been able to
be in the right place with the right $$ for that one.

okdee,

The .30-40 is a bottleneck cartridge and a super round. Easy to load and soft shooting.
I've put quite a few through my Krag.

I've also felt the 95 was an easy totin' rifle too. Just feels right! :D

Here's my 06 SRC.
Russky Musket
And my Grandfather's .35WCF

jb 8)

okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Hey JB!

Sweet pictures! The 303 British is a pretty robust round, is it not? Good luck finding it. I think I will start out with the 30-40 and 30-06, depending on which one presents itself at the right moment!

Merry Christmas
OKD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

okdee wrote:Hey JB!

Sweet pictures! The 303 British is a pretty robust round, is it not? Good luck finding it. I think I will start out with the 30-40 and 30-06, depending on which one presents itself at the right moment!

Merry Christmas
OKD
Not any more than the '06 or 7.62x54. Without looking it up I think it produces less pressure than the '06 and the 7.62 ( not positive). The .303 is one of my favorite rounds and have been reloading and shooting it since I got my first Enfield while I was in high school. Always thought a SRC in .303 would just be the Cat's Behind! :D

jb 8)

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

My wife got me a Winchester 95 in 30-06 for our 25th anniversary four years ago - it's a "repro" made in 1995 ( 8000 total and 4000 were in High Grade) by Miroku under license.

It shoots even better than it looks -

Sights zeroed to POA at 25 yards and fine tuned at 100 yards - not bench rest but just resting my left arm on a block on a table - you can see the final results - POI 2" above POA and the bullet holes less than an inch apart. :D

:mrgreen:
Last edited by OJ on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Read this article it has a lot of info. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model_1895.htm
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

1895 SRCs in .303 British are fairly hard to come by and seem to command a bit of a premium if in good enough shape. Many have throat issues, as do other calibers, from the use of the corrosive priming of old milsurp ammo. If I wasn't stuck in an 1886 rut one of those would be a dandy. :D
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have a USRAC Winchester 1895 in .405 Win. These were made by Mirocu in Japan. The fit and finish anmd over all rifle is beautiful and strong. I love this rifle I shoot it often and I hunt with it. It has a metal butt plate but I have a limbsaver slipon and it calms the recoil very well. I reload for it and it is great. This will be the rifle they bury me with.

I would like to get one in .30-06 but that is another srtory. .405 winchester was the original; loading by the way.

8)
redbaron
Levergunner

Post by redbaron »

Grizzly...what sort of accuracy, at 100yds, are you obtaining with your 30-40 1895 SRC? Also, what weight bullets are giving you consistent accuracy? Thanks.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There is a .303 '95 carbine listed on GB at this time. the seller claims it to be "the real deal", but I don't like the caliber marking on the receiver ring. It looks like a home done stamp and there is no proof mark. I would like to see the barrel marking, but he has declined to remove the handguard, which just snaps into place. It has been relisted several times already, so I smell a dead fish. The sight is also a recent repro and I'm sure that he knows it:?
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I shoot originals in .405, .35 Win., .303 Brit, and 38-72. Needless to say the 1895 is my favorite model. The 30-40 Krag is pretty much the same as the .303 Brit from a ballistics standpoint, but bullet selection for the .30-40 is better, being standard .308 if you reload. As far as factory Loaded ammo, you'll probably find the 30-06 and the .303 easier to find on the shelf. Both the .405 and .35 seem to be the easiest to make shoot well from my experience, and unless you are a die hard experimenter stay away from the 38-72 and 40-72 calibers. I would like to have a 40-72 and a 30-40, but the 30-06 never got me exited. I had one once in a Browning, but it didn't stay around the house long till I traded it off...and it shot exceedingly well...just couldn't get into the common cartridge.

Ed
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I like them so much that I bought two in .405 - one to shoot and one to look at! :D :D :D

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

redbaron wrote:Grizzly...what sort of accuracy, at 100yds, are you obtaining with your 30-40 1895 SRC? Also, what weight bullets are giving you consistent accuracy? Thanks.
Hi, Redbaron.

With Winchester 180 grain factory loads, it puts them in at about 1.5 inches with the open sights. I have been working on some 220 cast loads, but the best with those, todate, has been about 3 inches. I have not had a chance to shoot any 180 cast, but suspect this one likes lighter bullets.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

It hasn't been mentioned but, the Boone & Crockett largest elk of record was taken west of Crested Butte, Colorado, on Weston pass with a Winchester 95 in 30-40 Krag. I've seen both the rack (now mounted on a different head) and the rifle. I think the 30-06 will do anything one would want in the lower 48 but, the Winchester 95 in 30-40 Krag does a good job also.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER