Your favorite Pistol/Revolver?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Your favorite Pistol/Revolver?

Post by rjohns94 »

I had a great time with the last "favorite" thread. A lot of great looking rifles were shown and a lot of you had a hard time coming up with your favorites. This thread is asking for your favorite pistol, and why its your favorite. Over the years, I have literally owned hundreds of pistols. I love pistols even more than I love rifles or shotguns. I have rarely, since I was of legal age, not had a pistol at or near my side. My first was Ruger super Blackhawk in .44mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. My next was a series 70 Colt in .45acp. My next was a TC contender with .22 barrel, a 7 mm TCU barrel and a .44 mag barrel. I probably could have stopped right there and enjoyed those three for the rest of my life. Would have saved me tens of thousands of dollars. I am currently down to a .45acp and .357mag Smith Revolver, a 9mm Rohrbaugh CCW, a .58cal flintlock "pirate pistol", a .22 colt I have for sale, and my favorite - a Walther PP in .22LR. When I was 30, I had one of these that I traded a Colt CAR-15 for. I eventually traded it away. For some 20 years, I have searched and searched for a replacement and finally, I found one at an excellent price that I could not pass up. This pistol, since coming into my possesion, has not left my side either on it, on the table next to me or in my daily carry bag, or in my truck. Its not my CCW but merely a companion gun to me, that I plan on never trading away. In fact, I just ordered some laser grips for it that I want to try. Eventually I plan on putting some custom grip panels on it, maybe engraved ivory. I have already put about a brick of ammo through this pistol to break it in and another 400 CCI mini mags which are its main fodder. I carry it and its spare clip together all the time. It fits flat against my side, it points naturally, shoots great groups, and is a joy to handle and shoot.

OK, now your turn. Bring out those beautiful pistols that rate as your favorite and show them proudly here.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your favorite Pistol/Revolver?

Post by Rusty »

Mike I had one of those one time. I never could figure out the markings on it. Mine was Marked Walther, but it was also "made in France." It shot like a rifle. In fact as I was leaving work one day my boss was leaning out the window shooting a scoped Nylon 66 at a bleach jug sitting on a sand bank about 50 yards away. He was hitting all around it but wasn't hitting it. I pulled my Walther out of the glove box and after 2 round to get on target, I put the next 8 in the jug. That was one accurate little pistol.
I'd have to say though that my all time favorite go to piece has to be my 4" M28 S&W.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This 44 Flat Top Ruger belonged to someone very dear to me: my Uncle John. He bought in new in 1961 and he kept it by his side all of his life. He was a truely gifted Horseman/Cowboy and a true gentleman.....larger than life really. He took me in when I was 11, along with my Grandfather and had a big hand in bringing me up and raising me right. So, lot of emotion when I handle it and think of him. It survived two burglaries, miraculously. The first all of his guns were taken, but they missed this one. The second one was after he passed away, but my other Uncle instinctively grabbed his guns out of his house right before the burglars showed up again. I will carry it in his honor as long as I live.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Its a hard call, but this S&W 29-2 with rare 5" barrel must be it.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rusty wrote:Mike I had one of those one time. I never could figure out the markings on it. Mine was Marked Walther, but it was also "made in France."
The French manufacturer Manhurin produced them under license after WWII. I have been told it was part of the reparations Germany paid to France and I have been told it was because Fritz Walther took the designs/plans to France in June 1945 since he still owned the patents, etc.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

It would have to be this one.

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

1904 Colt SAA nickle 44-40 pearl grips. All original but for the grips, they probably came later but not sure.
"That'll Be The Day"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's a toss up between my S&W 28-2 and 17-2.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Smith Model 19 4" barrel.

Although I put a fist sized hole on a sheet of paper with 100 rounds of 380 from my little Kel-Tec today. Love those laser sights.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Probably the Smith & Wesson Model 19 that was my father's service revolver when he was in the FBI - before they went to semi-automatics. If I could only have one - God-forbid - it would be that one.

A close second is the old model Ruger Super Blackhawk. This is what got me into reloading (hard to afford .44 Magnum ammunition when you were 16 and making $2.75/hour!).

Then there is the 1911A1. To me this is just THE semi-auto that all others strive to be - and fall short.

The 1860 Army Colt is also on the list - to me the peak of perfection for the cap & ball era.

Hard to choose just one... :wink: :D :lol:
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Enjoyed the answers so far.

At the top of my list is a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. This gun and this round are just an incredible blend. Not too loud yet shoot so flat and powerful without too much recoil. This would be my absolute number 1.

Close behind would be:

1) S&W 19-3 pinned barrel and countersunk chambers, 6 1/2" barrel. Purchased from Mike Venturino. For some reason I shoot this gun better than just about any other handgun.

2) Colt 1911, .45ACP mostly National Match put together by Army Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning for my friend Max Barrington the 1985 pistol champion at Camp Perry. This gun was his backup in case some malfunction with his number 1 pistol during a match. This gun flatout SHOOTS! Not much to look at though, function trumped looks for the AMU!

3) US Firearms Henry Nettleton. Super craftsmanship, fit and finish. Shoots a bit high for me but what a beauty to behold!

Geoff
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

No doubt. My 1959 .44 Ruger Flattop that was cut back to 4 3/4". This has been my 'packin' gun for years. Where ever you find me, you find it with me. Backpacking, hiking, woodsbumming, fishing or hunting. Its just a part of me.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Really hard to choose just 1. I really like all 3 of my XDs. I also really like my S&W M28 6" Then there is the Ruger SAs and Mk II .22.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

My favourite is an old crusty hard used Victory model revolver 4 inch barrel 38 spl. Its had hard use before it came to me some years ago. Its not shiny its got lots of dings and pitting on the frame, but does it shoot? ya better believe it, its one of the most accurate fixed sight 38 spls I have ever seen, wont shoot one hole groups at 50 yards but at ten yards it will.
Barrel is still like a mirror. Have another also that shoots a might to the left, but at 7yds will alsocut a ragged hole. Love em. My 11 year old grandson is cutting his shooting teeth on these old relics and loving every minute of it. His hand is just big enough to do them justice in single action mode, wont be long before he starts to master them in double action.

The telegraphist
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Mine would be either my S&W 586 6" .357 I purchased shortly after I turned 21 or my current 5 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk 45 LC. Both are more accurate than the shooter allows them to be, easy to load for, ans both have taken some game with. It would be hard for me to give either up...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

It is hard to pick a favorite pistol or revolver out of my collect as I really like them all. On the other hand I have been shooting these more than the rest lately. They are used in CAS matches along with my 1894 CBC and the Winchester 1897.

They are 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawks that have been converted to Bisleys.

Jay
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

629 classic 44 mag
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Mine would have to be a S&W model 66 in 38/357 that has a 4" barrel. Love the feel and it just fits my hand. I end up carrying that one more while hunting than anything else.
Close behind would be a German made Walther PP (not the PPS or PPK) again nice feel and balance, slim it hids well on your hip and it is accurate.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You're right. That's difficult to say. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

This is easy; my favorite is a Ruger GP100 I purchased in the early 1990's, probably 1992. I bought it as a fun gun and plinker, but I decided to use it as an interim duty sidearm while between autoloaders, and in the summer of 1993, two weeks after I started carrying it at work, it was called upon to perform the ultimate role of a duty or carry gun, and it performed well for me.

I think a 4" to 5" .357 sixgun is a wonderful utility/packin' pistol anyway, and the GP100 would be one of the top two or three guns in my book, regardless, but my Old Warrior is special.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike,
Love that PP!

Man,

This was a tough one! I have several hand guns that are very important to me.

But this one tops the list.
I've told this story here a couple times but here it is.

I found this Old Model Super Blackhawk at a show in Michigan. It was in a big pile of stuff this
guy was selling off that had belonged to his father. He obviously was looking for a quick buck and had priced everything low to get rid of it. I squeezed my way in and saw this big old .44 for $250 that everybody else was ignoring. It had little finish left and looked as if it had been carried a LOT. I noticed that it was an Old Model and hadn't been converted. Looking further it also had a four didgit serial number. I handed the guy the $250 and was grinning all the way home!
Shot it a few times and while I was pleased with the accuracy something just wasn't right.
I put in a case and kinda forgot about it.
A few years later I was just out of my first marriage. Making some money and having a good time. Started thinking about what can I spend an obnixious amount of money on that would have given the Ex heart failure! :evil:
That Super Blackhawk popped into my head. A few calls and emails to Bowen Classic Arms and here's what I ended up with:
Shortened the barrel to 4 5/8", action tune. Case colors by Turnbull that photos just can't capture. and new front and rear sights.
For me it's my "Perfect Packin' Pistol" :D

A close second is my S&W K 17 .22 lr.
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I've only owned about a dozen or so handguns over the years. Of the half dozen I've kept, my single actions are still my favorites, that is, they warm my heart and are more satisfying to shoot than any of the others. My .44 Super Blackhawk and .41 Blackhawk both have grip frames that I modified.

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Edited to remove content
Last edited by ScottT on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Twyla did a great job on that Square and Compass! That is one beautiful gun. WOW.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

2ndovc wrote:I've told this story here a couple times but here it is.

That Super Blackhawk popped into my head. A few calls and emails to Bowen Classic Arms and here's what I ended up with:
Shortened the barrel to 4 5/8", action tune. Case colors by Turnbull that photos just can't capture. and new front and rear sights.
For me it's my "Perfect Packin' Pistol" :D
Guess I missed the story, but I enjoyed it! Love the .44 duo in the photo, probably because I have something very similiar. The only difference is that mine is an old Flattop I spoke about earlier :mrgreen:

JP
“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason,
I was hoping pics of that one would come out. Sure is nice eye candy. Was wondering if you have ever posted a range report on that one? If not your due! What are your favorite loads?

ScottT,

That is a beauty for sure. How is cartridge for shooting? Have you had a chance to use it on animals yet? What are your loads? I thought we might see the "shootist pistol" but I can see why we didn't. Beautiful in form and function.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Of the big bores,

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Rexster wrote:This is easy; my favorite is a Ruger GP100 I purchased in the early 1990's, probably 1992. I bought it as a fun gun and plinker, but I decided to use it as an interim duty sidearm while between autoloaders, and in the summer of 1993, two weeks after I started carrying it at work, it was called upon to perform the ultimate role of a duty or carry gun, and it performed well for me.

I think a 4" to 5" .357 sixgun is a wonderful utility/packin' pistol anyway, and the GP100 would be one of the top two or three guns in my book, regardless, but my Old Warrior is special.
I bought one about the same time, and in a moment of idiocy sold it for something that struck my fancy. One of the top 2 gun mistakes I've made. I think they are the best all around pistola going. Mine would shoot as accurately as a fine rifle....still kicking myself. :(
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

[quote="rjohns94"]Jason,
I was hoping pics of that one would come out. Sure is nice eye candy. Was wondering if you have ever posted a range report on that one? If not your due! What are your favorite loads?

Hey Mike,

Here's one of my favorite loads; 10.5 Grains of unique and a 240 Gr. LSWC @ 25 yds.
(I twitched on that 5th shot :oops: )
Loaded heavy is: 21 Grains W 296 and a Hornady 300 XTP. ( That will get your attention!)

If you were to do a "Favorite rimfire" it'd be my 39a. These two would be a formidible pair.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I would say probably this one.
IJ doesn't look like much but since the Iver Johnsons Cattleman was my first center fire revolver and first center fire single action I have a soft spot for him. And considering I spent more to have this one rebuilt than I would have for a new current version, it has to be right at the top of my list.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

It took me awhile to discover that I'm really not much of a handgunner. I did go through the single action phase where I thought I should have one of every model that Ruger made. They just didn't hold my interest so I sort of drifted to double actions for a spell, and eventually got into semi-autos. I just didn't find one that really felt right to me and also discovered, that no matter how much I practiced, I wasn't a very good shot with a handgun. Sold most of them off and then found the Glock 22 below. It feels right in the hand. I love it for its simplicity and reliability. I've found that I'm a fairly decent shot with it too.

Well done is better than well said.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

If I had a handgun :roll: , the 29 on the bottom left or the pre-629 in the bottom center.

This is an old photo and since then I can't remember what happened to them :lol:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

glock 27 :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

No Brainer...

The Premium Grade FA .454 (+.45ACP cyl) that I sold... :cry: :cry: :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I did have a few over the years bought and sold most of them except for these three: Ruger Blackhawk three screw in 357 Mag., Herters 401 Powermag that was my grandfathers and I save the best for last...

A custom built Clements 5 shot 45LC :mrgreen:

Mainehunter :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Colt SAA .45 bought new in 1959, it is my carry and my favorite sixgun.
Last edited by JerryB on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Probably my 3 favorites are my Kimber Desert Warrior, my 5" 629 Classic, and a stainless Ruger 22/45 w/4" bull barrel.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Not an easy choice.
My favorite pistol is probably one of my Contender frames fitted with a 14" 30-30 barrel, got my first perfect IHMSA score with it (when it had open sights) and my daughter got her first perfect score with it after I fitted the scope. We have put thousands of rounds thro' it and it is a barrel of fun to shoot :!: :!:

Favorite revolver is this SBH in 44Mag, love the way it rolls in the hand with full house loads :!: :D :D

Sorry about the picture quality, they are all I have at present.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

My favorite...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

My run-of-the-mill NM Blackhawk .45 Colt.

Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Without question, my Ruger Super Blackhawk 41 Mag Hunter. I don't think they were ever in the catalog, only the 44 mag. Came from Davidsons, and is a beauty.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This S&W 696 3" 44 Special is probably my favorite...

But I have probably more like 5 or six favorites... including this 1917 Colt that my dad gave me:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

DerekR wrote:My run-of-the-mill NM Blackhawk .45 Colt.

Well you might think of it as run of the mill, but the .45 Blackhawk (4 5/8") is my favorite also. Mine has the duel cylinders. The only time there is any question as to my favorite is when my .44 Super Blackhawk (4 5/8") calls me and wants to go out and play. Similar guns, same maker.

It is interesting to me how many have selected SA revolvers as their favorite. Must be a lot of us who grew up with the Saturday Matinee western. . . . :D
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tough choice! I can't narrow it down to one, as I have two that I dearly love to shoot, and both have been with me for 30+ years!
One is my old S&W K-22 from 1946. Just a nice shooting little .22 that always puts a smile on my face when I shoot it.

The other is my old comp gun from when I shot competitively. It's a Bill Davis custom built on a Model 10 S&W K frame. The most buttery smooth double action I've ever shot, and a single action pull that's under 2 lbs. and clean as it gets. A real fun shooter that I've kept long after I stopped competing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Edited to remove content
Last edited by ScottT on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Back in the day when did shoot more pistol & had much better eyes, I always reached for my Smith K38, K22, M15 or M18. Then a Smith M625 3” .45 AutoRim came along.

I still shoot them & my Rugers, but I’m leaning more & more to the .22’s as it is still cheaper + no reloading. Just wished I had better eyes & steadier hands....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Then again my 4" Model 10 HB is sweet, too!

44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Meeteetse wrote:It is interesting to me how many have selected SA revolvers as their favorite. Must be a lot of us who grew up with the Saturday Matinee western. . . . :D
More than interesting, pretty darned cool! :mrgreen:

In my own defense, I grew up in a household where only leverguns and and single actions resided. An old '92 32-20 converted to .357 and a Ruger Flattop in the same caliber. And my own old 1939 25-35...... :D

My Mom had/has a first year production Ruger Bearcat too.

And I grew up in a house where there was NO TV and rarely ever got into town to see a movie at the theater...... :shock:

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:mrgreen: Those are some beautiful handguns and revolvers. Mine is a no-brainer, my Ruger SBH 44 mag converted to Bisley.

War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Well.... it's going to be one of these two. I bought them both some months back and I'm waiting to get them on my licence (it's a long story - :D ). They'll be strictly range guns.

High Standard Trophy
ImageImage Walther P1