New 1886 Manufacturer ! With Pic added.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

New 1886 Manufacturer ! With Pic added.

Post by crs »

I just received the Legacy Sports 2009 Retail Catalog and amid many other pretties, there is an 1886 in .45-70 made by Chiappa in Italy and marketed by Puma. There is very little description, but the photo shows no tang safety. It will be most interesting to read the reviews on this "new" 1886. :D
Their web site information is behind the 2009 printed catalog, so more information on their many new products may be slow coming.

As requested, here is a scan of the page with info on the 92nand 86.

I will call Legacy to mail me a price sheet.
Last edited by crs on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New 1886 Manufacturer !

Post by Bridger »

This thread is worthless without a pic :D
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I just returned from the SASS Convention in LV, Nevada. Chiappa had a great booth with some very nice 1892s and a new 1887 lever shotgun on display, but I did not see an 1886. I am not too surprised to learn that they may have one in the works, however. They seem to be focusing their efforts on models one one else is doing - or at least providing folks with a higher quality fit and finish option.

Looking forward to seeing a new 1886 from them. I suspect the sticker shock will be stunning! :shock: Their new 1887 lever shotgun is beautiful, and a cool 12 bills! :o
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

How about a '92 in .32-20?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Rusty wrote:How about a '92 in .32-20?
I am still puzzled as to why no one is making the 32-20 and/or the 25-20 in a 92.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI - "Chiappa" is the new name for Armi Sport, long a BP replica, Sharps, & M92 clone maker:

http://www.armichiappa.it/eng/azienda01.htm

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I went to the Chiappa catalog link and saw an interesting single shot. "Overtop" by Kimer. Looks sleek, I wonder how one in 22 Hornet would preform. Anybody seen/shot one?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Grizzly Adams wrote:I just returned from the SASS Convention in LV, Nevada. Chiappa had a great booth with some very nice 1892s and a new 1887 lever shotgun on display, but I did not see an 1886. I am not too surprised to learn that they may have one in the works, however. They seem to be focusing their efforts on models one one else is doing - or at least providing folks with a higher quality fit and finish option.

Looking forward to seeing a new 1886 from them. I suspect the sticker shock will be stunning! :shock: Their new 1887 lever shotgun is beautiful, and a cool 12 bills! :o
IIRC, Jeff Quinn said MSRP $1300 in an earlier post about it. Most of the 92s by Chiappa are carried by Charles Daly. I don't know if they plan to carry the 1886 replica. The shotgun is carried by Charles Daly as well, MSRP $1059. Considering their other shotgun's MSRP and the price I actually paid for one, there is likely considerable markup there to ease the pain from a cooperative FFL. I don't know how the actual availability of the CD 1887 version is in the real world though. They seem to stand behind the products imported by them well.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New 1886 Manufacturer ! With Pic added.

Post by crs »

BTT for update with picture.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

this post can only mean more trouble for my wallet!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, they got very expensive.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Nice! Color cased receiver. Judging by the CC they put on their 1892, these should be beautiful! :) Priced to compete with the Miruko (Winchester) made 1886 without the tang safety. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

First time I've seen an 86 advertized as an improvement to the Winchester '73 .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

All 20" and 24" models have a 10 round magazine capacity.
Now, why would they put a plug in the 24" barreled models magazine? That's just plain stupid.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:
All 20" and 24" models have a 10 round magazine capacity.
Now, why would they put a plug in the 24" barreled models magazine? That's just plain stupid.

Joe
+1 I guess they are just anticipating a return of a ban - on steriods - such as Clinton passed in 1994 now that Obama is about to get into office. Will probably attack those mean-old "high-capacity 19th-century assault rifles" too...
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I noticed a couple other ??? in their ad copy also, but blew it off.
Eventually we should get the facts and if the 86 is as good as the 92 and the prices work out better, they should sell some of them.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

crs wrote:I noticed a couple other ??? in their ad copy also, but blew it off.
I think some of their copy doesn't make the jump from Italian to English as intended! :lol:

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

RIHMFIRE wrote:this post can only mean more trouble for my wallet!

+1/ yup I need another 45-70 two is never enough!!!

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

IF they are everything they are supposed to be, I might pick up a couple of the carbines and play with them a bit. I wonder if the barrel threads will be standard or metric?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have been "desiring" a new lever gun for a while. Something different, something I've never had before. That 86 with the looooonnnggggg barrel looks like it would be the thing. If the quality is there, and they aren't a here today, gone tomorrow thing.

But then I'm still in IL, just where in Hades would I go to shoot it? The same place I don't go to to shoot my other rifles ..... :cry:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

lozen wrote:First time I've seen an 86 advertized as an improvement to the Winchester '73 .
I found that funny too! Hope their guns are better than their history! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

For the same price you can get a Winchester or Browning 86.

They will have a much higher resale value if you ever decide to sell it

(Perish the thought)
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Lozen wrote:" First time I've seen an 86 advertized as an improvement to the Winchester '73 ."
thanks, I caught that one too. :o
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

If Chiappa is just really the "new" Armi San Marcos, then I have heard conflicting things about them. Jeff Quinn has said they make good stuff. But a famous gunsmith I know who I suspect wants to remain anonymous has told me from experience working on Armi San Marcos stuff that the new reborn company used a lot of the old A.S.M. tooling and poor designs. Only time will tell if they have really improved their product.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

There isn't any mod 86 in Chiappas catalogue, but I found a nice .22-cal revolver - at least it would have been nice without the superfluous cross safety. http://www.armichiappa.it/ita/catalogo.pdf

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Armi Sport Chiappa is making guns for several importers including Taylors & Company and Charles Daly. There M92s have been around for a while and I've not read one negative thing about them. To the contrary, most of the reviews speak highly of their fit and finish, accuracy, and attention to detail - both historical and part/assembly wise. I understand their stuff is produced in a modern factory equipted by a lot of CNC technology.

A previous poster mentioned that a secret gunsmith of reknown (kind of an oxymoron ain't it) said Armi was beating their guns out on old equiptment with poor designs. Everything I've read says that Armi Sport is building thier guns in a state of the art facility, and as far as the Model 92 being a poor design, well... If I made that statement I'd want to remain secret as well. :wink:

I'm saving my money for a brand new Taylor & Company Model 92 Carbine chambered in 45 Colt. I can't wait. When Armi Sport gets serious about their M1886 and chambers them in a proper cartridge, like 45/70 Goverment, I'll save up and buy one of them also.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I know you can always find new firearms quite a bit below MSRP if you shop around especially with internet access, and I'm hoping not only LSI Puma, but alsi Taylor, and Charles Daly will all be selling these 1886 clones which will produce competition thus reducing the prices to at least the price of a used Browning 1886. I'm hoping the quality is decent too hearing horror stories of Italian metallurgy and quality control inconsistencies with the exception of Pedersoli, and Uberti. Is there still Italian garbage being made or has the modern cnc machines and higher standards done away with these issues?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

GANJIRO wrote:I'm hoping the quality is decent too hearing horror stories of Italian metallurgy and quality control inconsistencies with the exception of Pedersoli, and Uberti. Is there still Italian garbage being made or has the modern cnc machines and higher standards done away with these issues?
..."Pedersoli, and Uberti" and Beretta, and Benelli, and Franchi, and Breda Fucili, and Tanfoglio, and Bernardeli, and... I certainly don't think a modern facility or technology automatically means a quality firearm, but the companies named above can and have produced some good serviceable guns over the years.

I think American guns are the best, but there are no American companies currently making the Model 92 or 86; and the last American company to make them didn't do all that good a job in its later years. So, that leaves us Armi Sport or Rossi - or nothing. Of course there's the Browning M92 (Japan), if you can find one at a decent price, in 45 Colt, with an octagon barrel, and color case hardened finish, with an oiled walnut stock. So, it's off to the imports - or not. Given enough time and bent toward skepticism, I could talk myself out this one too (just like the Brownings and older Winchesters I'd talked myself out of over the course of three decades). Ain't this fun.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

i too would be interested in the 1886. i think i would personally wait for Paco or jeff to test one out before i would buy it. I would want to be sure about the rifle's strength, durability etc.
g rice
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I've maintained for several years now that some US manufacturer (Ballard or Shiloh as examples) should simply make 86, 92 and 94 receivers and sell them that way. Then a guy could have a rifle or carbine built to his own specs in a caliber of his choosing. My gunsmith buddy worked for KBI in Harrisburg, PA for years and said that this particular Italian maker does not have a good reputation for quality control. He said when it comes to cowboy guns, Uberti makes the best in Italy.