OT Those AR's will shoot!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Those AR's will shoot!

Post by TedH »

Had my very first, recently purchased DPMS AR-15 out once before with the peep sights for some casual plinking. It appeared it would shoot ok. I took off the carry handle sight and mounted a Leupold 3-9x40 on the flattop for a serious workout. Took it out today in less than perfect conditions, winds gusting over 30 mph and overcast. Once I got it dialed in I moved out to 100 yards. My first two 3 shot groups were under an inch! Can't wait to see what it will do with some load experimenting! I think I'm really going to like this rifle. I've got to get a shorter mag though. That 30 rounder was a pain to shoot off the sandbags.
Last edited by TedH on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT Those AR's will shoot!

Post by salvo »

TedH, I just got three 20 rnd PMags from Brownells. Have not got to try them yet but they sure look like they will be great for bench work.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I went out last weekend to try some Barnes TSX all copper bullets in my AR. They flew great in my 1 in 9 twist, both the 53 and 62 grs. Got the load data from Barns, great people. Temp was in the high 40's and the velocity was approx 3200fps for the 53 and 2900fps for the 62, 26" barrel. Both grouped under 1" ,for 5 shot groups, at a 100yds. Now I have a great bullet for deer and smaller size game in my AR. Shot placement as always counts for a lot!

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I helped a friend sight in his AR15 yesterday . Well one of his he has about six I think !

Anyway this one is a Bushmaster bottom and not sure who made the top , but it's chambered for the 243 WSSM . I really really liked this thing !

We had just mounted a new Bushnell 3200 4-16AO scope on top and the thing shot very well !

He was taking it to the woods this AM as backup in case a wheelchair ridden fellow he was taking hunting needed some assistance if he shot a deer !

This guys son has killed four deer already this year with a Winchester Model 70 in 243 WSSM ! And I've been carting my Winchester 70 in 25 WSSM but haven't gotten a shot when I had mine .

Anyway the whole thing yesterday has me wanting an AR in either 243 or 25 WSSM :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Congrats Ted! What length of barrel and handgaurds do you have on yours? I am looking forward to scoping my CAR but all I have on it now is the backup rear flip up sight by YHM. My buddy has the same build I do (DPMS lower with DoubleStar upper)but with a cheap 3x9x40 mounted and his will cloverleaf at 100 yards. With Wollf ammo. Wish I would have gotten one of these things long ago....Steve.
Last edited by steveb on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, they are accurate. My 16" M4gery shoots under an inch with my handloads and a 4x scope. A lot of fun to shoot no doubt. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

steveb wrote:Congrats Ted! What length of barrel and handgaurds do you have on yours? I am looking forward to scoping my CAR but all I have on it now is the backup rear flip up sight by YHM. My buddy has the same build I do (DPMS lower with DoubleStar upper)but with a cheap 3x9x40 mounted and his will cloverleaf at 100 yards. With Wollf ammo. Wish I would have gotten one of these things long ago....Steve.
Not sure just what the barrel length is Steve. I bought it used and haven't put a tape to it. I believe it's a 16.

NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! Congrats Ted! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:I've got to get a shorter mag though. That 30 rounder was a pain to shoot off the sandbags.
My son and I made this rest in a couple hours with parts all gotten at the local ACE hardware - maybe $50 total?
It will allow a 30-rounder in an AR, or (more importantly to us) a levergun to be shot without lifting off the rest each time you work the lever!

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
TedH wrote:I've got to get a shorter mag though. That 30 rounder was a pain to shoot off the sandbags.
My son and I made this rest in a couple hours with parts all gotten at the local ACE hardware - maybe $50 total?
It will allow a 30-rounder in an AR, or (more importantly to us) a levergun to be shot without lifting off the rest each time you work the lever!

AJ - your son wouldn't happen to have the plans he used to build that, would he? Looks like a good "winter-time blues" project.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ted that is what is know as an M4gery those cabines are great guns. I have many years experience with the M16 and love the sites on these guns. You should give them a try as oposed to the scope the difference in your groups will not be much once you get used to how to adjust them. If you need help with how to make this gun work for you send me a PM I have all the Marine Corps marksmanship manuals for the M16.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks Jeremy, PM sent.
NRA Life Member
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Will they shoot? I ran them in competition to 1000 yards from 89-03. I haven't shot much since. But with a good AR I have shot 5 shot groups down to 1.5 inches at 600 yards with one fluke? group of basically 1.25 inches.

I generally get an easy 3 inch group at 600 and pretty easy to get to 10 shot groups at 300 that are 1.5-2 inches.

Jeff
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Re: the shooting rest plans. I posted ways back on the old site but I will try to post them again maybe over the break for Christmas. I'm on call :evil: but should be able to get some computer time :mrgreen: .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "