OT cas I have a AR15 question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

OT cas I have a AR15 question

Post by foxtrapper »

Hey cas I have stripped lowers and parts kits that need to merge :D I want to ask you if you could give me some pointers. Thanks
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT cas I have a AR15 question

Post by alnitak »

If you go to ar15.com they have step-by-step instructions and links to video tutorials in their stickies (both under the AR Discussion and Build It Yourself subforums).

P.S. -- make sure you have rolled pin punches.
Last edited by alnitak on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Roll pin punches are nice to have sure, but are not a must have to build a stripped lower. I used vice grips to push in my roll pins, wrapped in electrical tape as to not to scratch the lower reciever. Ditto on checking out on AR15.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Yep punches are ok, but roll pin punches are nicer. But just go easy, I put my first 3 together with standard punches and no tape etc... no scars.

AR15 links are good and if you have any issues you can PM me too here or on 24 hour campfire.

I've been dealing with ARs for years now and can put one together in my sleep almost, or used to could.

BTW lube the barrel nut with anti sieze. Put it on and off a couple of times and then torque it.

Jeff
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Essential tools:

Parts tray, pan or bowl - to hold parts
Big table - so parts don't roll off once they fall out of the parts tray
Young child - to look for parts that hit the floor (and to learn about gun stuff! :mrgreen: )
Flashlight - for the ones that roll under furniture
Magnet - for the ones that find crevases you never knew you had in your home

Once you've built one, you'll want to build another.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It's eeeeeeaasy! it's all simple stuff, the trick is doing it in the right order. :D

About the only thing "tricky" is getting the front pin/detent spring/plunger in.

My tip would be do it in a small, clean room. The springs and detents are "shootable". :shock:
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Slow is just slow.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Thanks to all. Let's see, roll pin punches ,no roll pin punches needed ,clean room and small child :D . Got it! The AR15 .com sight has some good instruction with video. Well here I go! While I got you ,I'm having trouble accessing this sight . It's taking a long time to load when I can get on . Anybody else having trouble?
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

foxtrapper wrote:Thanks to all. Let's see, roll pin punches ,no roll pin punches needed ,clean room and small child :D . Got it! The AR15 .com sight has some good instruction with video. Well here I go! While I got you ,I'm having trouble accessing this sight . It's taking a long time to load when I can get on . Anybody else having trouble?
Seems to be working fine for me. Cas, mentioned the front pin/detent spring/plunger. When I was at this this step in the process I had the lower reciever in a large plastic baggie just in case springs and plungers went flying.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Actually if you want tricky... try putting the selector spring/plunger in with the stock already on.

I pulled a huge bonehead move once, I'd put an ACE stock on a lower, and then done a very intricate 550 parachute cord wrap job on the stock. Some time later when I went to actually assemble the lower I realized my big screw up. Rather than undo/redo the cord (probably a couple hours work) I set about to install the spring and plunger from the front.. through the selector hole. It worked, but lordy i never want to try that trick again. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

One thing to beware of, is the risk of breaking off one of the tabs on the lower receiver that the trigger guard fits into, when installing the trigger guard. Folks who aren't really familiar with the AR15 are prone to not realizing it has a pivoting trigger guard with a push-button detent on one end (to unlatch it) and a roll pin on the other. Pivoting it down gives a "winter trigger guard" usable with mittens or heavy gloves. It's easy to forget to pay attention to which end goes where; the roll pin goes in the rear, and detent end goes in the front.

When you install the roll pin for the trigger guard, be SURE to support the lower receiver's tab that the roll pin will fit into (the one that is down against workbench, etc.) and be sure that as you tap it into place, it enters the hole in the lower tab smoothly. Whacking away on a recalcitrant trigger guard roll pin that isn't lining up with the lower receiver tab... and not supporting said tab... is a great way to break off the lower tab and mess up your receiver, but good...

hope this helps!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

You will probably see this if you go over and puruse the AR15 how-to's but I heartily recommend using a large ziplock or similar bag to put your hands into when working with small parts and springs - if something gets away, it stays in the bag....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

All went well. The picture I downloaded with the parts named ,helped greatly. I was following the detailed instruction from the Ar15 sight and a couple of question were posed. Does it matter what side of the receiver you start the hammer and trigger pins? It also had in sequence that the trigger group went in first and later the selector switch was to be installed. I found that when I followed the instruction the hole for the selector was blocked by the trigger assembly. So I took the trigger and hammer assembly out then installed the selector and everything went back real nice :D I don't have a stock yet so I see there are more parts that will have to be dealt with :o Thanks to all for the help!!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The hammer/trigger pin holes are supposed to be the same size on both sides, so it doesn't matter.

Don't feel bad about the trigger/hammer/selector sequence thing. I've put in fire control parts countless times now and I only screw the order up... pretty much every time. :D
Slow is just slow.