O.T. sorta. Bad Eyes and Sights.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

O.T. sorta. Bad Eyes and Sights.

Post by mikld »

Went to the range today with my new to me Ruger P90 in 45 ACP. Gun works great. But I can't see the sights! I've got new glasses, trifocals, and the top of the rear sight, at best, is blurry. Tried my old glasses and not any better. I found the best lens to look through but I still get vertical stringing, up to 10" at 50 ft. This is also a problem with my 44 Mag. Puma but I'm going to install receiver sights which work real well for me. No problems with a scope or receiver sights. So, is there a type of sight (not a scope) that can be installed for us blind guys? Or any suggestions? (yeah, like shoot closer? :lol:)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: O.T. sorta. Bad Eyes and Sights.

Post by J Miller »

mikld,

For range use I take off the prescription glasses and use non Rx safety glasses with a diopter on it. I can see the sights on the gun very well, and surprisingly the target too.

With my Rx glasses I can't see the sights at all but I can see the target real good. With my non Rx glasses I can't see the target very well but I can see the sights real good.
So the diopter attachment is the best solution I've found for now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Visit one of Leverguns sponsers.. http://www.meritcorporation.com/
I use the gizmo that sticks on your glasses.. Sharpens up sights really good!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You actually CAN put aperture ('peep') sights on handguns, and I've tried it on a couple with good results. I don't really have a good picture but there are several manufacturers of rear 'peep' sights for handguns. Most likely for 1911's too.

For range use or even hunting, the glasses and Merit aperture stuff is great, but for daily carry I'd likely get a peep right on the gun you're always 'ready.'
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "