OT Getting Old

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

OT Getting Old

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Well after awhile away from my own computer (been using the public library) I'm finally back in the saddle. I'm on medical leave headed for retirement because of my health so I'm broke.....but you know alot of people gripe about getting old. I am tickled every morning when I get up. I used up a bunch of life acting happy and trying to kill myself by working/worrying and staying tight as a watch spring all of the time. Never took a vaction without that cell phone glued to my ear and never took the time to enjoy life. April 2005 I saw the "Light" at the end of the tunnel and as I started to slip away it became darn peaceful. ER Doc did his job and 13 days later I walked out of the hospital vowing to lighten up......that lasted about a month and then the old self took control. Finally snapped April 2008 and I have been off ever since. It like to have killed me at first. Now I'm kinda the house husband. My bride of 32 years stayed by my side the entire time I've been crazy and goes to work every morning to work with children who need a special touch......she doesn't make much money, but what teacher does. We are pretty darn blessed. My old Doc is trying to keep me upright.....would love to see my grandchildren grow up and marry and have a family. Haven't hunted this year...got about a month left in deer season but helped my son process a meat doe...I kinda like the idea of getting old. It sure is more fun to worry less and live more (even if I am broke). It took me 54 years to learn that money isn't everything. Don't ever miss a chance to tell your loved one's how much you do love them......

jumbeaux
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Getting Old

Post by 20cows »

I hope you've got enough left in you to let it coast a long time!

Good luck!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Good advise about not missing a day telling your loved ones you love them (also doing something loving for someone you don't know.) A lot of your fellow Levergunners can relate to growing old(er) with health issues and limited funds. Just getting up, putting one foot in front of the other, and doing the best you can with a loving heart is a big part of making each day count. Sometimes that's easier said than done. PM anytime if you want to talk or just unload.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

jumbeaux wrote: I am tickled every morning when I get up. jumbeaux

I was broadsided by an old halfton Chevy 1500 back in '94 and could have died. I didn't, and try to remember that every day is gravy. Also try to remember to be thankful for my blessings.

Do wish my eyesight was what it used to be though. ;)
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

jumbeaux wrote: worry less and live more
That's pretty much it right there. Glad you have some time to enjoy it now.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You'll find it amazing how little money is actually needed to live on after retirement (forced or not) - and still occasionally persue our guns & hunting vices.

I think CLINT said it best: " A man's gotsta come to terms with his limitations" ! ;) :mrgreen:

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Glad you posted. Folks look at me funny for my positive feelings about doing even menial work. Oh, I might get a "real" job after the wife retires (just so we don't drive each other nuts! :lol: ) but as of now, we don't NEED to do that. All you NEED is to be healthy, warm, dry, have 1500 calories a day and see your friends and family.

P
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno 'bout thet pickyune 1500 calories, though ! ;) :mrgreen: :shock:

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

TedH wrote:
jumbeaux wrote: worry less and live more
That's pretty much it right there. Glad you have some time to enjoy it now.
That's a great philosophy, just harder to put into effect when you've been very productive in life for a long time. I'm approaching that at quantum light speed. I'm getting so tired of dealing with the lowest rungs on the ladder of life.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same here. I've been retired 5 years and can't understand how some folks work until they die. A recent bout with a very serious medical condition that I am still in recovery from has also given me a new perspective. Every day is a blessing, and as my strength builds, I do more and more to get the most out of each and every one. I have absolutely no desire to go back to work in any capacity, instead just do what I want or "need" to do. This includes all hobbies, of course. Ain't life wonderful? :D :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

My brother and I used to kid each other often with a comment. It usually came after one of us would complain about an ache, or pain, or growing old.

Hey, "every day above ground is a good day"!

Old man cancer got him at 62. I miss him.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I remember hearing about people my folks knew years ago; I don't know how many times I heard that "so-and-so" retired--and then a few months later, "so-and-so" died. There were also a lot of people who made it to, say, age 60 and then they just died. Of course, I would never have heard of most of that if the folks hadn't read the obituaries all the time....
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

jumbeaux wrote:...I kinda like the idea of getting old.....
It sure beats the alternative, don't it. :P
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I either worked 18 hours a day for one company, or had 2 jobs and still worked 18 hours a day for over 30 years of my working life, drove fuel transports. Finally parked it last December, and mess with a little lube oil business I have, spend gobs of time on 160 acres I have, and search for more lever guns whenever I can see clear to get another. 1500 hundred calories ain't going to get it done though :lol: .
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

At 1500 calories a day I would not have to worry about kick'n back as I would probably die of malnutrition. I am on a 1500 calorie diet right now, five days a week per the Doc, eat normally two days (well like most peoples normal) and I've lost 8 1/2 lbs in the last three weeks. Great thought though, money is the root of all evil, but our society is built on chasing it.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm trying to retire after 23 years at the same job, just can't sell my house! I decided a couple years ago that I wasn't going to die on the job (some guys here go 'till they have 30 years in to get the extra benefits). My knees are shot and I got bulged discs and I really don't want to retire in a wheelchair so I'm going "early". I'm moving to a small town near the Redwoods and plan on fishing and hunting (or just plain shooting and stuff) for the next 10 years. After that, I'll rethink my decision! :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

If I do more than 1500 calories a day I gain weight and I'm NOT a couch potato.

Food is fuel, not entertainment.

I used to weigh 320.

That was four years and 150 pounds ago.

It's still work, but worth doing.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

20cows, then why do I lose weight at 1500 calories a day? Just got weighed again at the Doc's, down 10.25# in four weeks @ 1500 cal five days a week. 20-25 more to go, then I can go back to satisfying eating! It'll take a couple-three years to put it back on, then do it all over again. Three-four months of misery, followed by 2-3 years of bliss :D :D :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

When I weighed 320, I lost weight easily at 2000 cal/day, but as my weight decreased, so did my requirements. A 170lb man does not require as much fuel as a 320 pounder.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have allways bucked against the rat race. I came into the world with nowt, have nowt now and am certain I'm leaving with nowt. What I do have is a good woman and friend, a solid daughter. A normal job that covers the bills and some fun items and plenty of peacefull land to walk over with a gun. Does me :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry Jumbeax, glad you are still ticking and here Sir.
Blessings Sir. :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!