OT- hunting with a cat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- hunting with a cat

Post by Rusty »

I found this on another forum...

It has been awhile since I last posted here, but between work & hunting I spend more time working. This past Saturday I went to my stand behind the house in a large cut over. Unknown to me at the time, but our cat "Socks". had followed me into the thicket. About 30 minutes later I saw Socks following my trail all the way to my stand. He laid down at the base of the stand, so I went back to watching the area. In a few minutes I felt the stand vibrate & looked down to see Socks climbing up the stand. When he reached the top I placed him in my lap. For the next hour he just looked around & purred. As the sun started to set night birds started moving around in the brush, they had his full attention. Suddenly Socks looked to my left & his tail stiffened & began to twitch. I looked to the left, but didn't see anything at first. Then I saw something white in a holly thicket about 50yds away. Looking through the scope I saw that it was a big doe (120lbs+). As she step out, the 444 roared & she hit the ground DRT (dead right there). To my surprise Socks never moved. I put Socks on my shoulder & climbed down, when I got to the ground he ran over to the deer & acted like he killed it. To be honest if wasn't for Socks, that doe probably could have slipped by me & I would have never seen it. This weekend I going to take him along to see if he does it again. If he does, then I'll know I have a "deer-cat".
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT- hunting with a cat

Post by Mokwaw »

Now that is kinda of cool.
UNITE
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

How about that. Does this mean I have to stop shooting the cats I see running wild in the woods? (oops is that cat lady still reading these posts - sorry mam) :shock: :?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The more I watch animals closely, the more I learn from them. They are so much more atuned to what's going on around them then I'am. My horses see and hear things long before I do. If I see my horses take note of something I've learned to look too.
Old Law Dawg
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

LOL
Too Purrfect!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My barn cats like to go for a walk in the woods all the time. So during deer season I have to make sure they aren't following me. Unlike you I usually have 3 or 4 along . So I don't think I would have the same outcome .Also I have to keep track of them because I have plenty of fishers and coyotes in the woods that would find them mighty tasty.
Last edited by BenT on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Our Tom lets us know whenever the deer are approaching the feeder before they ever break cover. Does the same thing yours did.
"Suddenly Socks looked to my left & his tail stiffened & began to twitch. "
That's called the "Giant Mouse Alert"... :mrgreen:

He desperately wants me to take him hunting. I kill bigger mouses than he does and he wants in on it.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Now that is very cool. I wish I could hunt from home just like that :)
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

What a great story! I'm passing this along to some friends.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Sounds like a deal to me!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Now that's cool! :) Good kitty!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

when I got to the ground he ran over to the deer & acted like he killed it.
It was his kill, he just got you to do the work.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

We had a member of my deer camp that used to bring his German Shepard hunting with him. Big no-no in NY. He lasted one weekend, and we tossed him out the next week. I had an encounter with the Shepard at 0-dark-30 that night when I went out of the camp to "water the scenery," and the only thing I could think of in my sleep-fogged brain was, "Wolf!" I was wide awake in a millisecond.

I'd love to get our cat Oreo out hunting, but she'd be too occupied with killing every red squirrel she could, to warn me about a deer coming. Not that killing red squirrels is a bad thing, mind you . . .
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Neat story, thanks :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Maybe cats are good for something after all. :o
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I use to have a cat who loved to go squirrel hunting with me. He would walk walk me slipping around and when he found a squirrel in a tree he would go up to the tree and place his front paws on it and look at me. I'd shoot the squirrel and we would go on. At the end of the hunt when I was cleaning them he would wait for his "take". We were both happy with the arrangement. Best cat I ever had.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'm going to strap two cats to my head next hunting season to be my eyes and ears! :) :D :lol: :P
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've got seven (7) possible "deer cats" at Mom's house just waiting for adoption... :lol: That is a good story, thanks for sharing! :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Your cat has trained you well.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

piller wrote:Maybe cats are good for something after all. :o
That was my first thought too! :mrgreen:
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Not a hunting cat but my best fishing buddy was my cat Russell (my dad named him) that I got as a kitten back in 1971. He would sit with me on the dock in my backyard stream while I fished keeping me company and waiting for his share of fish. He was a naturally skilled fisherman and would sometimes steal fish from the bucket having no fear of water dipping his paw in the water to scoop a fish with his claws then grabbing it in his jaws getting his face totally soaked in the process. He could eat a whole 1 pound fish from head to tail crunching away bones and all. Russell would also jump right into the Dory tied to the dock to assist in a fish landing, and would join me for the boat ride when I'd go for a rowing troll up the stream, he was a real sea cat. He would also go right down to the streams edge and scoop up passing minnows with his paw, he was quite amazing. Russell lived over 21 years and he saw me grow up, get married (he was there at my reception), and got to see both my sons after they were born. Russell was one of those once in a lifetime pets, a dear friend and partner I still miss over 16 years after his passing.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

my cat Russell (my dad named him)
your Dad must've heard him in the bushes...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Just behind my house are two Christmas Tree Farms, a swampy thicket, a beaver area, and a clearcut that's growing back in. Decent grouse and deer country, and I know the property owners. I've never encountered deer in the tree farm that borders me, but tracks and sign indicate that they come and go there. So have my cats. A few years ago, my big orange cat Tuffy went out into the high serengetty of the tree farm. Not thinking about him, Iater that pleasant fall afternoon I grabbed my 16 ga double and went grouse hunting. I never got anything that day, but it was a nice early fall day to be out. On the way home, in the high grass between the small Christmas trees, I jumped a small doe-or maybe big fawn. It bounded away from me as I watched it go. Suddenly, old Tuffy, who must have been doing his own hunting in the high grass, went bounding after her from the high grass like a miniature 15 pound lion! He was in full pursuit, and I don't know what he'd have done if he'd caught up with the deer, which might have been about 50-60 pounds, but he enjoyed a brief moment of action. If you watch your housecat in the wild environment of his backyard--and watch him/her hunt closely, you'll see what's one of God's perfect predators in action--and maybe you'll pick up a few pointers you can use in your own gamestalking efforts. Sometimes, when I'm putting on my gear to go out hunting, the two cats in the house sit there watching me, with a look in their eyes that seems to say "You? Hunting? Don't make me laugh! What do you think you know about hunting anyway? "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I didn't live in town I'd be more inclined to let Tom out with me off leash... but it's just not safe.

No matter though. Every time I've taken him for a walk on his leash he still manages to kill a mouse or mole.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jlchucker wrote:... If you watch your housecat in the wild environment of his backyard--and watch him/her hunt closely, you'll see what's one of God's perfect predators in action--and maybe you'll pick up a few pointers you can use in your own gamestalking efforts. ..."
The classic Bobcat vs deer cuddleback sequence...

http://www.cuddeback.com/pages/pows/week_70.html
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey, if it will help me get deer, I'd take a skunk along hunting! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote:LOL
Too Purrfect!

What amazes me is that the cat didn't freak out after he let loose with the .444! That is one smart feline!!! :D
Rick-F
Levergunner

Post by Rick-F »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Tycer wrote:LOL
Too Purrfect!

What amazes me is that the cat didn't freak out after he let loose with the .444! That is one smart feline!!! :D
Indeed! Perphaps now with a bit of hearing loss too . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jlchucker wrote:Suddenly, old Tuffy, who must have been doing his own hunting in the high grass, went bounding after her from the high grass like a miniature 15 pound lion! He was in full pursuit, and I don't know what he'd have done if he'd caught up with the deer, which might have been about 50-60 pounds, but he enjoyed a brief moment of action.
Our stupid boxer dog used to 'chase' the neighbors cropdusting AIRPLANE whenever it flew over...!

He was on a 75 foot overhead cable run because he was too stupid not to chase cars, and when he got to the end of the run chasing that plane, he would always hit the end of the cable so hard he would get jerked off his feet into the air. Kept doing it for several years until one day we felt sorry for him being chained all the time and let him run free. Within 10 minutes a car had hit the dog and killed him.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've come to the conclusion that one should never underestimate an animal, including cats. They know more about what's going on than people give them credit for.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

KirkD wrote:I've come to the conclusion that one should never underestimate an animal, including cats. They know more about what's going on than people give them credit for.
I read somewhere that Egyptians used to hunt with cats.

And there is an old Portuguese saying: "I you don't have a dog to hunt with, bring a cat."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Almost more than any other critter I'd like a "big" cat... bobcat sized at the least.

When I was a kid the neighbor girl, whose dad was F&G, had a "rescued" bobcat that had been declawed as a kit.

Casper was the coolest animal I have ever been tackled by. (A game he played with us gradeschoolers - tackle, no mouth.)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!