OT=well i lost my best buddy today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

OT=well i lost my best buddy today

Post by papabear »

well he never came in to a duck blind or did a retrieve for me he ran when he heard a shot gun go off but he was my best buddy i had him when he was 5 weeks old till today he was 12 years old he took rides to nowhere with me sat next to me when i was home a lone when it thundered out side he tried to sit in my lap and hide from the noise he was a Bullmastive and i miss him already i bin crying all day fun me crying never thought i would miss a dog this much all most 50 years old and I'm crying over a dog
well thanks for letting me unload

PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT=well i lost my best buddy today

Post by Borregos »

They become part of your family, crying at the loss is understandable.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I am sorry for your loss. He sure was a cute lil dog. Bet he was adorable as a pup.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

He wasn't just a dog, he was a family member. Who wouldn't cry? Sorry for your loss.
NRA Life Member
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

sorry to hear about your pup. thats 2 on this board the last day or so.

I am near 50 and still get misty if I think real hard about some of the dogs I've had... no shame there.

Bless ya all

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

TedH wrote:He wasn't just a dog, he was a family member. Who wouldn't cry? Sorry for your loss.
+1.
I still get misty thinking about the dog of my youth - got her when I was 5, lost her when I was 18.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Bunch of us has been down that road, and cried bucket loads of tears for our best friends. Sorry for your loss...but you WILL remember the good things always.

Ed
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

papabear,

I'm real sorry to hear about your dog, they truly do become part of the family.
Ricky

DWWC
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Your dog/friend will be waiting to help you across on the other side. Can't be heaven without dogs. I believe that.

My dad was 73 when he died and on the day that he died he talked about his beloved English Springer Spaniel Toby. Toby died in 1946. Dad literally missed that dog until the day he died. Don't ever feel badly about loving a dog, they love you without condition.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

This is why I love this forum family. Grown men appreciate the value of a good dog. A real man cries about that which he is passionate.

Papabear, I am grieved by your loss. The pain is real, but it will pass. I've lost a 13 year old collie, a 12 year old lab, a 7 year old lab, and 2 mutts. I cried over each one, and actually feel like more of a man for it. Even Jesus wept. I'm sure you are still the "papa bear".

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nothing to be ashamed about! A real sign of a good friend is to be there and not say anything, no judgement, just there. I honestly think they (dogs) are really man's best friend. What other animal will follow you anywhere, do anything for you, and always and I mean always love you no matter what. I feel for you, heal well my friend.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry for your loss.
Old Law Dawg
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Papabear...

I've put down retrievers over the years. I cried every time. There's no difference between the ones who run for the ducks or away from them. When you love your dog you cry when you lose them. As I write this my new puppy is asleep on my foot. I nearly lost her yesterday when I was up on the ladder trying to find and fix a leak, and in a flash she was out of sight and near the road. She had never wandered that far before. Just that event...and how close it was...made it hard from me to breath. I don't know what I'd do without her now and she's only been with me 5 months. Many men on this site have experienced the sadness you feel, and knowing the kind of quality men they are most if not all have cried over the loss of their dog companions. That's what happens when you have a dog's unconditional love and they have been your constant companion. Take your time to grieve for your lost friend. When the time is right...and you'll know when that is...I encourage you to get another puppy. Not as a substitute...there are no substitutes...but as a new friend to go everywhere with you again and to love as your companion.

You are not alone today. Many here know your tears of loss.

Victor
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Heal well friend.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mannlicher
Levergunner

Post by Mannlicher »

I am so sorry for your loss. If you can't cry over the loss of a wonderful dog, then you just arn't human.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am sad for you friend. I have felt the same many times.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have lost a few dogs myself and know what you are feeling. Give your self some time to heal then start looking for a new pup. You never stop missing your dogs you just fill the empty space with new ones. :(
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

papabear wrote: bin crying all day fun me crying never thought i would miss a dog this much all most 50 years old and I'm crying over a dog
]
You are wrong Papabear, you aren't crying about the loss of a dog, you are crying because your best friend died.

Most of the folks here are to nice to say it, but I suspect most of us would think less of you if you told about loosing your best friend and didn't admit shedding tears. Your tears do not lessen you in our sight. They just show that you have the capability of loving and grieving.

Believe me, I've been there and done that with no shame at all.

It might not be part of accepted theology, but I don't care, I believe that you and your friend will be reunited in Heaven. I can't imagine Heaven with no dogs or horses.

In the mean time, here is a little poem that has given me comfort when in your position.

God Bless you,
Doc

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine,
and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old
are restored to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed
are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them
in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content,
except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them,
who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together,
but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent.
His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group,
flying over the green grass,
his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown..
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i am so sorry for your loss. I hope the happy memories replace the tears soon.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's a reason why they call them "man's best friend". Dogs treat 'ya better than family members.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Sorry to hear about your loss, I know what it's like to cry over a dog.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm sorry for your loss. Crying just shows you are a caring human being - and took the time to love another of God's creatures.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Papabear,

I am very sorry for your loss. I have had a half dozen GREAT dogs over the last 52 years and cried over every one of them.

Like a dummy, I have grown attached to another (after going four long years without a littlefurrybuddy) and am dreading the day.

My best as you heal up.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sorry to hear about the loss of a family member :cry: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Angels in fur....

I still say that most dogs are better than a lot of people... We're enjoying our dogs, including the Senior Doggie of the house, who is 13 this year and still gets around pretty well.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Sorry, PapaBear.

That is indeed a grievous loss of a true friend, that nobody understands unless they have experienced that highly personal and deep loss. A part of what we are is ripped away from us - our history, adventures, and even some of the best of our emotions.

But you still have those memories - your pal lives on in your heart, and from time to time your life will still be illuminated with happy and humorous things that you shared, as you see, smell or hear something that brings your pal back to visit you.

Best wishes and condolences at this time of loss.
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papasan »

In the beginning, God created
man...but seeing him so feeble,
he gave him the Dog.
Warren Eckstein

A Dog is the only thing on earth
that will love you more than you love
yourself.
Josh Billings

Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

papasan
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I'm tearing up just reading this. Pets make such a bond with their "owners." I cried when my in-laws dog had to be put down.

Not only is the Rainbow Bridge very appropriate here, but I've heard that, because Man was the one who sinned in the Garden of Eden, and animals didn't (okay, maybe the serpent did), that they don't suffer under Original Sin, thus they go straight to Heaven.

I gotta stop now. Too many tears.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I want to thank you all. your words help me heal in my time of need. May the good lord bless you all .
THANK YOU my Friends
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

My sincere condolences. I lost Malcolm on 10-19-2008, and yes, I cried. Not just a family member, not just my best friend, he was an integral part of the family, and truly the director of home security, and a better person than most humans I know.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Sorry for your loss. Looks like we were both crying the same day for the same reason. I guess we have all been there and will be again but that is the price we pay for our dogs.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I'm sorry for your loss. I still cry over my beloved four-legged friends that I've lost.

It's a bargin you make with them when you get a dog-- you will love them and take care fo them for the 10-15 years God allots, and they will give themselves unconditionally to you for all of their lives. I think that's why their lives are so short...because they give so much of themselves to you and work so hard at being your best friend, that their lives are so brief. I firmly believe in the Rainbow Bridge...God would not put such loving creatures in our lives without the promise of eternal peace for them. Be consoled in knowing that you will see him again. Until then, hold his memory tight in your heart.
Last edited by alnitak on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

The hurt doesn't ever really go away, but it does dull, thankfully. I lost one in '04, the best dog I ever had and I still hurt for his loss. I had a heart attack a few days later. It probably wasn't as a direct result of Bingo's death, but it certainly didn't help.

I pray for your comfort.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... Image

Author unknown...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very sorry about your pard. A being so loyal can not help but become so close to one. Best Wishes, 1886.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

papabear - That's too bad. I had to put down my bestest dog ever two years ago and I still miss him terribly. All I can say is that you know you have done him good in the past and that you can take solace in that. You didn't give his name but when I was out near the restsing place for our departed pets awhile ago, I told them to be on the look-out for a great dog from ISLIP, NY and also to be on the look-out for "TX50Cal's" dog Lakota. They'll (my departed pets) take care of em.
ED
Yer never too old
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I can only echo what others have said so eloquently, and also to state my belief in the Rainbow Bridge. (Dammit, I'm crying as I type this, knowing your loss and thinking about the friends I've lost.) Dogs are a special gift that God gave man but,
unfortunately, they never live as long as we want them to.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Been there. You can't replace a friend, but you can make a new one.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very Sorry! I know that hurts.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Sorry to hear about that. I know what you mean, though. No offense to any of the folks on here, but I have found it easier to trust and rely on my 4 legged buds far more than the 2 legged kind. I have cried over a couple of great dogs, and 2 wonderful horses I lost. (Balled my eyes out over a little black racking horse mare I raised, rode, raised a couple of great colts outta her too, she was my baby and left a big hole in my heart when she went). My wife had Jasmine, a great chocolate lab about 10 years back. Always went with us when we rode horses. A girl came to look at buying one of my horses and the lab went with her when she rode it. I didn't think anything about it, but as she was crossing the road with the horse the dog was a bit behind and just followed her right across. Car was coming and hit her, broke her up bad. When I got there she was still breathing but barely. I picked her up and carried her the couple hundred yards back to the house. All she could do was rub her head on me and whimper. Thankfully my wife wasn't home at the time. Still it broke my heart and my wife has really never got plumb over it. Talks about getting another choc lab, but then starts talking about Jasmine and gets real sad. Jasmine is in a shady spot in the woods beside lady my little black mare. I can't hardly even write about it now without tore up myself.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Papa Bear, there is something called the "Callahan Principle" which states that happiness shared is happiness multiplied, grief shared is grief divided. May you remember the happy times you shared with your best friend, and may your grief be divided by sharing it with your friends here on Leverguns. Tonight I will raise a toast to your friend, may he spend endless happy hours basking in the sun on a warm fluffy cloud until you are able to join him many years from now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost