Don't know why I went down this road

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Don't know why I went down this road

Post by Rod WMG »

I ordinarily don't think in these terms and I sure don't intend to get rid of any guns. In spite of that I've been considering which one of my guns would be the do it all/one rifle to keep. Maybe I'm just rying to keep my mind busy.

Anyway, I've tentatively chosen my stainless Guide Gun in .45/70. Cat sneeze loads will work and it can be "spiffed up" some too. Elk would likely be the biggest thing on my agenda these days and it would handle that well. Stainless is self-explanatory for me.

The only thing that bothers me is my eyesight. I have a peep installed on it and it works well. If I needed a scope I'd add that, but I'd sure hate to.

The truth is I'd get bored with one gun, but this is one of the very good ones.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Hobie

Re: Don't know why I went down this road

Post by Hobie »

Every time I needed such a gun I got/kept a .30-30. A .357 Mag rifle would be nearly as good.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This'll stir the pot.

I think you make a good choice. The only limiting factor I see to your choice with iron/tang/receiver sights is range. I'd say you'd be pretty much limited to 200 yards using any of those sights. Not that the rifle/cartridge is limited to 200 yards as far as killing power but rather assured results.

I'd use the same set-up for my .444 Marlin and .30-30s and as with your choice, I'd be limited to the same 200 yards or at least that's as far as I'm comfortable with taking a shot on game -- deer/elk/bear/hog.

For myself, I'd rather have a scoped .30-06 (with back-up iron sights) if I were limited to just one rifle -- hence one round.

EDIT: The only .30-06s I have are bolt action (Savage 110 Scoped; Sporterized Model 1917 Engield with receiver sight) and one Remington Model 760 Pump Action also with receiver sight. The Remington is a first year/first month production model (February 1952) and works flawlessly to this day -- shoots accurately too. I guess this is sacriledge on this Lever Gun Forum but HEY!!! it's what I've got.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I could have chosen a number of rifles/rounds. The '06 Sako has been my favorite rifle for many years, but lost out to the Guide Gun mainly because of the area I would use it in these days, which is mostly dense woods...and because the GG is stainless. A bolt gun has always been my go to, but my thinking has changed some.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I'm thinking more like this...
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/presi ... 2811625808

It'll keep me pretty busy reloading, however...
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Hey, I like it, but my presses are single stage!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

It never fails, one of these posts comes up and I go through two weeks of hand-wringing. Oh dear, what would I do, what would I keep or select. . :D Funny thing is I usually end up with the same choice. . . . .a 30/30, however lately I've been considering that it might be nice in a limited-gun situation to have a handgun that was the same caliber. That may be cheating in a one-gun only scenario, but what the heck. Having said that, my Browning .357 lever and my Marlin .44 mag lever must be considered, especially when paired with same caliber Blackhawk handguns.

Oh Woe is me how will I ever make a decision. . . . . :lol: :?
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Rod - you will appreciate this. The WWG co-pilot in .457/45-70 I bought from you would be my one gun for the entire country. My NKJ in .357 is perfect for around here where I don't really tangle with black bear. If I was to stay in the North East and have to deal with the bears, perhaps the Marlin 1893 in 30 WCF.

I grab my .357 every morning from its place by my bed/bunk and it goes in the truck with me everywhere. I plan on hunting with it as soon as the Marlin makes meat (I owe it to the Marlin to go hunting since its been in a collection and not used for decades) and I could very well retire all my rifles before I let it go. The co-pilot made meat this summer. I like a rifle/pistol combo and the NKJ '92 in .357 and the S&W 60-3 in the same would be a pretty sweet combo to have to rely on. Glad I have choices though.

Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mdl53
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mdl53 »

Thought I'd jump in on this as no one else mentioned it. But....if I were down to 1, I think I'd pick an 1895...preferably in 30-40 but an '06 would probably be a little more practical.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I own probley 15 more exspendsive and fancier rifles than this remington pump in 30-06. I inherited it from dad. When I think about it, it is the fastest handeling, good power, light and handiest rifle I own. Dad put a peep on it and it is accurate.

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Right now, I do own only one rifle. :oops:
BUT, it's a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington...and I love it!
I still think a 12 Gauge auto loader is the most all around gun, but I could get a lot of use out of the 35 Rem.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.