OT - need help with a grip panel graphic design

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - need help with a grip panel graphic design

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A few weeks past in one of our many political/RKBA discussions - you know, the kind I never post on :roll: - we discussed the various "types" of people. We had all heard the analogy of people falling into one of three groups - sheep ("sheeple"), wolves, and sheep dogs. Most people in the world are "sheep" - they want peace, but are unable or unwilling to defend it. Some people are wolves - they are the criminal element and national/ideological aggressors who prey on the sheep. Then there are the sheep dogs - LEO's and military - who protect the sheep.

Someone had the excellent observation that we needed another group to describe most of us. We are certainly not sheep - we are more than willing to defend ourselves, including defense not only against the common criminal scum of the earth but also the political overlords - within and without - that would deprive us of our liberties. Thus, we are not wolves either. But many of us are not formally (or currently) sheep dogs - not being active LEO's or military (again, some of us - others here are certainly current sheep dogs - and great ones). The poster called us "bears". Bears are not part of the sheep herd. They wish to be left alone. Sheep and wolves fear them - and many sheep dogs do as well, or at least have a healthy respect for them. This is the way we bears like it. Leave us alone and we are peaceable. Tangle with us, or try to deprive us of our rights, at your own risk. You will not like the response.

I really like this analogy, so much so that I want to incorporate a bear design on the grip panels of some of my semi-automatics. May even put it on other grips/stocks and other things. Problem is that I just haven't found the graphic I am looking for. It would need to be simple - a snarling or roaring bear head exposing his teeth in a menacing way. Easy to immediately identify for what it is - but simple enough to use in a grip engraving.

Knowing that most (okay, all) of you are better at finding things on the internet, I thought I'd throw this out for help. Please post any bear pictures or graphics you think represent we bears. Hopefully, this will be something many of us can then use! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - need help with a grip panel graphic design

Post by kimwcook »

Hey Ysabel, I like your analogy, but the bear has almost become a national symbol for LEO's. Just a thought.
Old Law Dawg
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

As a friend of sheep men (the ones who raise the woolly four footed herbivores) I can tell you that a bear and a wolf and a cougar all share a love for eating sheep. The difference being that often a bear will catch a sheep, eat the udder and leave it to run off and bleed to death. I don't care for the bear analogy for that reason. Rather than "sheep dog" - what about "watch dog". A good watch dog will leave the nasty sheep alone, but will still sound the alarm when something untoward happens 'round the home place. He'll signal when wolf, coyote, bear or sheep thief comes near, and will probably give his life to defend the sheep that he'd normally just ignore. I favor "watch dog" over "bear" because the "bear" is still a sheep eating predator.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The bear analogy is ok... except most of the Bears I have known are either Hulking Criminal Wannabees somewhat under the control of the NFL or Jerky Mean "Rednecks" fishing in the Russian River during the Salmon run.

I like the Porcupine. Omniverous, wants to be left alone, rarely goes rabid, and is very well defended... even against bears.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I like the porcupine idea. It would be easy to to a generic, easy to engrave design. I had even thought about a wolverine for many of the same reasons as listed for a bear. But now to the original post. I would consider something like the image that the MSU (Missouri State) Bears use as being something to consider. If not that maybe a paw print. Seeing a bear is one thing. You know where it is and how big it actually is. Seeing a paw print is another. You have no idea where it is and while the paw print will give an idea as to size, the imagination will most likely make it bigger. :wink:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

kimwcook wrote:Hey Ysabel, I like your analogy, but the bear has almost become a national symbol for LEO's. Just a thought.
Says who? Yeah, yeah, ya got the ole Smokey the Bear CB moniker for mostly Higway Patrol officers or other cops behind a radar gun but other than that ya got squat.

Like "Ysabel Kid" says:
Bears are not part of the sheep herd. They wish to be left alone. Sheep and wolves fear them - and many sheep dogs do as well, or at least have a healthy respect for them. This is the way we bears like it. Leave us alone and we are peaceable. Tangle with us, or try to deprive us of our rights, at your own risk. You will not like the response.
That is a good description for most of us. Thanks "Ysabel Kid"!!!! I like it!!!
ED
Yer never too old
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Knowing that most (okay, all) of you are better at finding things on the internet, I thought I'd throw this out for help. Please post any bear pictures or graphics you think represent we bears. Hopefully, this will be something many of us can then use! :D
Jay, you're so helpless!!! :D :D :D

Now this Big Alaska Bruin surely has a "Don't tread on me!" look about him:

Then again, you could go with the "Peace Brother, let's all get along" high 5 look:

Welcome to Alaska bear country, my friend! Makes you want to go bear hunting, doesn't it! Maybe we should put together a 3-5 party Levergunner Alaska hunt for '09???

I only went through 5 of the 9 pages of bear photos. Here's the link:

http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/bear-photos-cat.htm
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mklwhite wrote:I like the porcupine idea. It would be easy to to a generic, easy to engrave design.
I know it's being used by someone else, but still, it's the right idea...

ImageImage

...We're not submissive, we're not aggressive
But they think we can't defend?!?

Stand up, join us, modern crusaders alive
We have the power to face the future
Cause we are the fighters
Just fighting for our rights

They're accusing, like always without knowing
What is just fiction or what is the truth
They have a mission, they have a passion
But they dare to tell us what's bad and what's good?

Cause we are the fighters
Just fighting for our Rights

est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
(drive on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.)

quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!
(since Fate
strikes down the strong man,
everyone weep with me!)

nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
(first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty,
power)

'Cause we are the fighters
Just fighting for our Rights...

Stand up, join us, modern crusaders alive!
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mklwhite wrote:I like the porcupine idea. It would be easy to to a generic, easy to engrave design. I had even thought about a wolverine for many of the same reasons as listed for a bear. But now to the original post. I would consider something like the image that the MSU (Missouri State) Bears use as being something to consider. If not that maybe a paw print. Seeing a bear is one thing. You know where it is and how big it actually is. Seeing a paw print is another. You have no idea where it is and while the paw print will give an idea as to size, the imagination will most likely make it bigger. :wink:
I really LIKE the idea of a bear paw print - simple (easy to draw), thought provoking, and so forth.

I also like the porcupine, but it doesn't convey the 'power' - they're more of an irritant to the wolf rather than something that can kill them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Modoc ED wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Hey Ysabel, I like your analogy, but the bear has almost become a national symbol for LEO's. Just a thought.
Says who? Yeah, yeah, ya got the ole Smokey the Bear CB moniker for mostly Higway Patrol officers or other cops behind a radar gun but other than that ya got squat.

Like "Ysabel Kid" says:
Bears are not part of the sheep herd. They wish to be left alone. Sheep and wolves fear them - and many sheep dogs do as well, or at least have a healthy respect for them. This is the way we bears like it. Leave us alone and we are peaceable. Tangle with us, or try to deprive us of our rights, at your own risk. You will not like the response.
That is a good description for most of us. Thanks "Ysabel Kid"!!!! I like it!!!
Modoc, you off your meds again? Stating "ya got squat". Look it up, I wouldn't pull the wool over your eyes, too hard. It has nothing to do with Smokey the Bear. I don't use'em, never have. I'm just trying to give you a heads up, that's all.
Old Law Dawg
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

NO Porcupine! Way to many cows, horses and other courious animals have died a hideous death from porcupines. No body wants the symbol of something that strickes back without fully understanding danger. Think of somebody trying to shake somebodys hand and gets a face full of quills and cannot eat or drink untill you die. Watch dog fills the bill very nice.
Respectfully
Rob
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

northwoods, along those lines I'd like to know if that dog lived through his ordeal. One of my friends thinks not.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm not the one who came up with the idea of a bear fellas - I can't remember who posted this, but I liked the analogy. A bear certainly brings forth more visions of strength and danger than a porcupine! If it was just me I'd pick a big cat of some sort. I don't think another dog conveys the point. We are different - we are separate - we want to be left alone and are capable of making the point forcefully. A wolverine would also be a good pick - one of the fiercest critters out there.

Victor - thanks for the pictures1 Yes, I'm helpless - or just figured someone here would have some pictures I haven't seen yet.
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

Rod WMG, Yes, but not with out help from a kind soul.
Maybe I missed the point.
The very best to you and yours.
Respectfully,
Rob
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

Rod WMG, sorry I now understand what you ment. I have no idea but, Ouch! Poor dog!
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

northwoods wrote:Rod WMG, sorry I now understand what you ment. I have no idea but, Ouch! Poor dog!
Poor dog is absolutely correct! My heart aches every time I see that photo.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

How about the good ol' "Don't tread on me" rattlesnake! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

+1 on the Gadsden rattlesnake. My son T. R. Leck, a veteran of the first Gulf War (VII Corps, D Co 17 Eng Bn, 2AD fwd attached to the First Infantry Division), went out on 09/12/01 and had it and its motto tatooed on his right calf...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

We could go with the llama. It's a non-predator that takes care of sheep. Also quite benign in appearance too.

Hmmm, that was a joke but it doesn't actually sound too bad. :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Andrew wrote:We could go with the llama. It's a non-predator that takes care of sheep. Also quite benign in appearance too.

Hmmm, that was a joke but it doesn't actually sound too bad. :lol:
We have llama, and if anything gets into our goat pen, it will get killed - whether it is a coyote or stray dog.

Still - I like the fuzzy old bear - quiet and cuddly from a distance, but don't get within 300 yards of it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What about a lion? Ya know, king of his jungle and all. Very majestic, powerful and respected.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Something along these lines - but not quite there yet:

This is from the Missouri State University team (thanks for the lead mklwhite!):

This is from the Chicago Bears merchandise:

And this is a live photo of the essence of what I am trying to capture:

Kind of says "leave me the heck alone!", doesn't it? :wink:

I like the lion as well. Tiger even more so! :D

Here's the paw print graphic I found:

I like this one a lot - easy to use on a grip panel. :D
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

You could put the MSU style bear on one side and the paw print on the other. Maybe the paw print on the side that faces "out" in the holster showing a warning and the growling bear would only show up when the gun was pulled and be visible when you looked at the gun in the palm of your hand. Just a thought.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

kimwcook wrote:Modoc, you off your meds again? Stating "ya got squat". Look it up, I wouldn't pull the wool over your eyes, too hard. It has nothing to do with Smokey the Bear. I don't use'em, never have. I'm just trying to give you a heads up, that's all.
:lol: :lol:

Dang!! I knew there was something I forgot. Gotta find that Prozac.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was thinking more along the lines of lithium.
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kimwcook wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of lithium.
Hard on the Liver.

Abilify + Lamictal/Lamotrignine is easier on the system. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:...
I like the lion as well. Tiger even more so! :D
Howabout a PUMA...

Works for Leverguns, Knives & Anti-BO Femms... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I kind of like these ivory I have on a old HDM.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OK I will bite....... what is an Anti BO Femm?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mescalero1 wrote:OK I will bite....... what is an Anti BO Femm?
That's for the Politics Forum...

Just Google "Hillary PUMA"... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

kimwcook wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of lithium.

Wait a minute!! Isn't that the stuff they put in batteries and run the "Energizer Bunny" on? Now, I could use a pick-me-up like that.

"bogus bill"

Nice ivory grips!!
ED
Yer never too old
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

Thinking about this some more today, and the picture of the dog and the quills. This is just about right when you think of a lot of people who have stepped in to help others in a combative situation to help solve the problem. Does not have to be deadly but may have been. So often the helper gets a face full of quills so to speak. Sometimes friends, even turn against him/her. Can be LEO or good samaritans alike. Should it stop you from helping? Nope, and if the mind set is of that type there would not even be a hesitation. Watch dog kinda fits. Not in stone and hope this is not political. I S, I hope that was not your dog but give us an update if it was.
The very best to you and yours,
Respectfully
Rob
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here ya go!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Image will not open
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

marlinman93 wrote:Here ya go!
Here you go. They don't allow linking to images, it eats up their bandwidth. So this one eats up OUR bandwidth instead - which is fine, that's what our bandwidth is for. :)

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com