Marlin Medicine for Nice '07 Brownie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Marlin Medicine for Nice '07 Brownie

Post by Marc Taylor »

Just found your site and thought I'd share a nice brown bear with you guys.

I discovered today from Fish and Game here in Alaska that this sow was 19 years old, which explains her massive frame. I took her in late May of this year on my first levergun hunt.

It's a Marlin 1895GS with trigger work and a ghostring sight. Next week I should be receiving my new leather from LeverGun Leather Works, and I am stoked about that!

I used Buffalo Bore Ammo, but had a round disintegrate on me due to the extreme close range, so I have switched to Garretts on a recommendation.

I also got a nice billy from the Resurrection Peninsula. What a great feeling getting so much out of a rifle in so little time! I'm HOOKED!

Thanks for looking,

Taylor
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

The billy...

Post by Marc Taylor »

Sorry I couldn't get into the picture. It was a 100-foot drop to my right, so I took no chances on this ledge.

I used 350 Garrett Super Jack ammo. They kept this guy from doing the dying cowboy on me...

Taylor

dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

wow, that is one big bear, seriously beautiful goat. thanks for sharing the pics
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)

Welcome aboard! :D This is the temporary forum - we've had a few problems with the main forum this year, and AMBRACOL was kind enough to provide us with this refuge. Please join us over at the main site at:

http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats...
Post some pics when you get the mounts
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[thought I'd share a nice brown bear with you guys.]

Welcome, Marc - And it's OK to freeze that bar steak, afore ye ship it ! :wink: :lol:

I dunno, 'bout goat -I never had ennie B 4.

(Congrats, BTW !)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wonderful! Welcome!!!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Thanks!

Post by Marc Taylor »

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Come up and join us sometime!

Taylor
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Marc welcome to Leverguns,thatlooks like some serious hunting to me. Those are some fine looking animals. Hope you go on over to the other site,they would sure like to see another levergun hunter.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

Way to go that is a very nice Bear and a beautiful goat congratulations. Welcome to the forum.
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome aboard. Way cool pics.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Congrats Marc and welcome aboard. Those are beautiful animals.

I look forward to hunting sheep and goats someday, when family and finances will allow.

Stick around and share your hunting knowledge...it appears you're living the dream.

Did Wild West do your Marlin? It looks like their ghost ring rear.
Chad
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Welcome Marc! Good to see another levergunner from Alaska join in. Nice bear!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very nice :!: :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Some pretty nice critters ya go tthere. I like to shoot a little smaller game with my Guide Gun.

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Marc
Very nice work. HUGE brown bear, and outstanding looking goat. I'd really like some more details on the hunt. Yardages, location, bullet weight on the bear, etc. You're not getting off that easy. You just whetted our appetites.

Interesting report on the buffalo bore, I had wondered how they stacked up, and the Garretts have a stellar reputation. I have a moose hunt planed for Sept of '09 in AK and am doing my ammo research now. I too, have the GS.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

BTT This is too good to let get buried.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes please. More story.

Welcome to the forum.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Very nice Marc! Welcome aboard. Looks like perfect shot placement on the Bear, well done!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Great pictures of great hunts, CONGRATS! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Bear and Goat

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome and congrats. Beautiful trophies. Well done. You will love Garret ammo.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Was this a post and run?

Just tease us and leave us hanging!!!! We really want to hear some details, please. This is a dream hunt that most of us will never experience. Details please.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Great pics and story!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Marc you sure know how to make someone envious. Good job.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around here for a long time.
Old Law Dawg
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Livin the dream Marc. Nice work.
mike454
Levergunner

Post by mike454 »

Marc, who did you talk to to get the age of the bear? I took one in april '07 and would like to get the age of mine.
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Sorry for the delay, guys.

Post by Marc Taylor »

I run a retail operation in Anchorage, and get pretty busy during the holidays. Not as much time for the boards as usual.

Here's the "Death Moan". I just got new leather from Lever at Levergun Leather Works. The cheek pad takes your eye DIRECTLY to line-of-sight. No effort or wasted time, which is important when you stalk brownies to close range. Some of you guys with scopes would love this addition, just ask Lever to make you one like Taylor's' in Alaska. (I hope he kept the pattern!)

I've taken some really nice brownies with .375H&H and .30 S.A.U.M. The .30 cal's are a non-player in my book, but they get the job done - just a little too slowly... I'm an immediate result kinda guy!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nice trophies. I too am envious of your stompin' grounds. 1886.
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Marc Taylor »

So you like bear pictures?

Here's my '05 brownie. .375 H&H with 300 gr. Partitions. One shot dumped him at 140 yards. He's going to be a shoulder mount on a pedestal in a couple months. Very impressive noggin, but had a bad rub down his back.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged" is my motto, therefore I shoot first and decide later whether it will be a rug or not...
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Marc Taylor »

'04 brownie.

.30 S.A.U.M. in Model 7. It took 6 thumps to bring him into this picture, so I got away from .30 cal for the big boys. I happened to be on a black bear hunt at the time, and we were looking for a large black bear rumored to be in this area. Anyway, I shot this guy at midnight-thirty, under a half-moon. We weren't seeing any movement of big bears in daylight, so decided to stay out after dark. This guy followed a sow his size and three other bears by about 15 minutes. We were still giddy from the encounter with that many bears close up, and there he was.

Some things worth explaining: 1) You can shoot after dark in Alaska. As long as you can see your target without artificial light. 2) You didn't want to shoot that sow because she was with 2 other 3-year-olds and a cub. Who does the cub belong to? If you shoot the bear that the cub belongs to, then you have done a big no-no... So we just sat there with our jaws hanging.

We only got one good shot on him that night. We heard him rolling around in the alders after the shot, but we weren't going in after him under any circumstances, so we decided to give him all night to expire. No sleep for us...

We started tracking him at dawn. We "bumped" into him after a hundred yards or so, and HE WAS FULL OF LIFE!! At about 15 yards we put a couple in him and he exploded in a rage... Away from us, thankfully. He could have gutted us if he chose to.

About another 2 or 300 yards of trailing blood and I came upon him. He was trapped in a large alder, raging. I put 3 more into him before he finally gave up the ghost. Scary pelosi. Really. These bears are harmless usually, especially in areas where they are hunted, but if you get them riled you get to see how explosive they can be. It's really scary and I aint scared by much...

Needless to say that was the last time I took a pea shooter to a bear fight. From there I went to .375, then to .45-70 after I won "Death Moan" at a banquet.

Now I'm SOLD on large exit wounds and feel that a recovered bullet is a failed bullet regardless of weight.

Check out my books, guys, if you want to know the entire story of Marc in Alaska. I've written what I've been told are two pretty good books and sell lots of them...

Taylor
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Marc Taylor »

Answers to questions:

Wild West did the initial work, which included recoil pad, trigger work and ghost ring sight. I'm thinking of having a magazine extension added, and a laminated stock with a trap door on the butt. It is a CANNON, and in my opinion cannot be heavy enough; I would carry it if it weighed 15 pounds. I had the safety replaced with a shunt so half-cock is the only safety I have. I'm looking at a larger loop, but don't know if the added throw is worth it for my use. I would like to find a loop that closes the action quicker, though... Any ideas on that?

Aging your bear -- Just give the hunting desk a call at the Anchorage Fish and Game office. They'll have your bear looked up in a matter of moments. Note: This spring just passed was in the '06 regulatory year. I considered it my "spring '07 bear" but to Fish and Game it is a "spring '06 bear". The regulatory year changes in July...

Thanks for the great feedback, guys. I feel really welcome, and you are welcome in return.

Taylor
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice post and awesome pics!! 8) 8)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
mike454
Levergunner

Post by mike454 »

Thanks Marc, Just called the biologist for gmu 17 and he was suprised to see my spring '07 bears info in the system already. He said it usually takes about a year.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Welcome!

Beautiful animals and nice gun! Eat well!

bogie
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

WOW! Looks like you got alot of bear rugs!!! :D

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Leverguns! :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Post, and pictures.Thank You. I can't help but think about all that Elmer Keith wrote about big calibre and bullet weight. some things ARE carved in stone. Jim.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Just curious, but what do you do with it after you kill it? Do you skin it on the spot for a rug and then quarter up the rest to pack out?

Do they eat Brown Bear meat up your way?

That Billy goat in my mind is the embodiment of everything that it means to hunt,.....freedom, beauty, untouched by civilization.

What a prize.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Awesome bears! I am officially jealous. :oops: :D :D :D
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Thanks, Guys.

Post by Marc Taylor »

Looks like this thread got a new lease on life... Thanks for the bump.

Deerwhacker - Nope, we just roll 'em over and skin 'em. I have not personally met anyone who eats brown bear but I hear some of the natives do, especially in spring.

Right now brown bears are thick up here. We've got some units that allow a harvest of TWO per year!

The skulls are a nice trophy once cleaned up, and that's the only recognized measurement for the "books". Not every bear will be a rug. The condition of the hair will dictate whether it will be a rug or not. My second brownie ('05) was the largest, but the hair was not very conducive to a nice rug, so I'm having a bust of him done. It's going to be really nice; and unique.

A brown bear STINKS. I mean really. Moreso in fall as they are eating alot of salmon.

Now spring black bear is a different story. Very tasty. You've almost never had a better burger than a black bear burger.

A large bear hide, fresh off the bear, will weigh in excess of 100 lbs, and may weigh clost to 200lbs on larger bears. Often the skull must be removed from the hide or you won't get the hide off the ground... Seriously. It's an extremely heavy load.

I'll post some pictures below to give you an idea of what it's like.

Bear hunting is extremely addicting. Once you've experienced these guys at close range you never look at yourself as the top of the foodchain again.

Unless you're carrying a great levergun, that is!

Enjoy,

Taylor
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Good post Marc,
My partner and I have a GPS location of a real nice black bear we are going to try and collect this spring. Hopefully it does not come out of the den with cubs! :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Just terrific...welcome to the fire Pard.

LeverBob
Maybe someday...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Gosh, I don't know how I missed this post so long, but I'm sure glad you're here, and posting pics of such great animals!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Some photos of the process

Post by Marc Taylor »

These bears are HEAVY. Rolling them around is no fun so what I like to do with an evening-killed bear is set them up for pictures like the top photo, then come back in the morning and start skinning. The bear is tough to get rolled over, but once he/she is they're all splayed out nice for skinning.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

WOW! that is too cool.....I help a guy skin his first bear and he had no idea what to do. It is wierd, when you have them hanging and you are done skinning (this was a small black bear) it look like a human carcass! :shock:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Marc Taylor »

This was my '07 bear being set up for pictures. That's an exit wound, by-the-way... :D A non-pass-through is a failed bullet on big bears. I don't have to worry about that with my Garrett Hammerheads!
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Marc Taylor »

Speaking of a nice rug; here's my buddy's '07 8-footer that he took the day before I got mine. This bear has BEAUTIFUL color!

Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Wo I have to ask....Do you just leave the carcass there after you skin it?

You can't eat the tenderloins or back straps? :?:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Really enjoyed your photos and report. I had to smile, imagining the sweat that a fellow could work up trying to turn over that splayed-out, stiff-as-a-board big bear! You'll get a beautiful rug out of that one!