Convert Pre 64 to trapper?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Convert Pre 64 to trapper?

Post by K1500 »

All,

I have a pre 64 (flat band) M94 that I am considering having the barrel shortened on (insert screeching and howling noise here). The receiver has most of the finish worn off with a nice old patina on it. The barrel is original and marked 30 WCF and the stock is in O.K. shape, a long wood forend with some gouges, and it has been refinished.

The kicker is that the front sight base has been visibly bent over to one side. It appears that a previous owner either took a fall or was overzealous with a punch. When the gun is sighted in correctly, the front sight is hanging half way out of the dovetail.

As I see it, my options are:
1. Live with it, and perhaps drift the rear sight over to make the front sight appear ‘more centered’.
2. Have a gunsmith remove the front sight base and re-solder it (thus necessitating a re-blue job).
3. Try to ‘bend it back’ with a punch and hammer.
4. Shorten the barrel and re-attach a front sight base (perhaps a one that is screwed into place saving a blue job).

I think that once I re-blue the barrel, any residual value for collectors is gone, so I might as well cut it to a trapper (I kind of want a trapper length gun). I am scared to try to bend it. Perhaps the barrel can be screwed out a bit to clock everything over, but then the rear sight and extractor notch would not line up (although it would not need to be turned far). I am taking it to a smith when I get a chance, but I wanted your opinions as to the impact on the value of the gun.

If options #2 and #4 harm the value the same, I would like a trapper. I am not sure of any collectors’ value given the stock refinish. What do you all think?
Last edited by K1500 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Convert Pre 64 to trapper?

Post by slimster »

Why don't you consider getting a replacement barrel? I think Numrich has them for less than 100.00. That way, you could keep the original for possible repair, and if you wanted to, you could make it a Trapper without hurting any collectors value.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Make a trapper. A little howlin never hurt anyone and you won't hear em with ear plugs in anyway.

If you ever get tired of it THEN rebarrel.

It is yours, make it how you want it.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

I have a 1931 30WCF cut to 18 inches off a '55. Has the rear dove tail cut and drilled and tapped with two holes for a front sight. Barrel looks good, if interested $65.00 shipped. Has a dove tail cut in the bottom for the magazine hanger used on the '55.
The very best to you and yours.
Rob
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I would do what ever gave me the most satisfaction. If I really wanted a trapper more than a "not quite perfect original" I would ignore the screeching and howling.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Go ahead, there are lots of rough beat up pre-64's, but very few pre-64 trappers. I have strongly considered it, myself, that is provided I had a suitable donor gun to start with. I would not do it to a slick pre-64, or even a not really that slick pre-64 as long as it worked and shot accurately, which mine does.

However, If I had several pre-64's then I could more eaisly pick one and make a trapper out of it. If yours is already messed up, and loping 4 inches off of it, would clean it up, and give you a sweet trapper, do it, and don't look back.

Keep in mind, how you are going to replace the front sight, remember, most Trappers have a dovetailed barrel and a post front sight, but I recond a screw on ramp and bead would work also. You also have to decide on the magazine length, because here you have choices also. At anyrate you will have to shortened it, and you will loose one round in the mag, if it's a 30/30.
NRA Life Member, Patron
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

0The kicker is that the front sight base has been visibly bent over to one side. It appears that a previous owner either took a fall or was overzealous with a punch. When the gun is sighted in correctly, the front sight is hanging half way out of the dovetail.

As I see it, my options are:
1. Live with it, and perhaps drift the rear sight over to make the front sight appear ‘more centered’.
2. Have a gunsmith remove the front sight base and re-solder it (thus necessitating a re-blue job).
3. Try to ‘bend it back’ with a punch and hammer.
4. Shorten the barrel and re-attach a front sight base (perhaps a one that is screwed into place saving a blue job).

I think that once I re-blue the barrel, any residual value for collectors is gone, so I might as well cut it to a trapper (I kin
d of want a trapper length gun). I am scared to try to bend it. Perhaps the barrel can be screwed out a bit to clock everything over, but then the rear sight and extractor notch would not line up (although it would not need to be turned far). I am taking it to a smith when I get a chance, but I wanted your opinions as to the impact on the value of the gun.

If options #2 and #4 harm the value the same, I would like a trapper. I am not sure of any collectors’ value given the stock refinish. What do you all think?

K1500,

If your flat band 94 is like the one I owned the front sight ramp (base) is integral to the barrel. It does not come off. If the front sight base is leaning to one side it's because the barrel is not indexed correctly or there has been some severe damage.
If it is a soldered on front sight, it is not original to that barrel.

Take a look at the rifle from the muzzle end. You'll be better able to see what is off. If the rear sight dovetail is also tilted then all you need done is reindex the barrel. If the rear sight dovetail is square with the receiver and the front ramp is tilted then the cure is more involved.
Were it mine, I'd check these things out before taking a hack saw to the barrel and magazine. As for refinishing the gun damaging it's collector value, that is already gone. It's just good old used gun right now. A shooter that needs a bit of fixing.

My choice would be to fix it up first. If that wasn't possible then turn it into a Trapper.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AS the other's have said. The collector value is already gone. So make something cool out of it and make sure you take before and after photos for us.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

If you would not cut the barrel were it not damaged, follow Joe's advice.

If you want a trapper anyway, cut it to 16.5 " instead of 16. You won't notice the difference in handling, but the magazine will hold one more round. (6 intead of 5) :wink:
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Thanks to all for the advice. I have looked from the muzzle end and it *appears* as if the rear sight/dovetail is at top dead center, while the integral front sight base is rotated a bit clockwise. The front sight base is not screwed on. It looks like it is silver soldered on, but it might be machined as part of the barrel.

I hadn’t thought of the magazine capacity. If 16.5 inches gets me one more cartridge than 16.1 inches, then I’ll do that. I suppose a gunsmith can cut down the barrel and re-crown it and cut in a dovetail for the front sight. I will have to take it to him and see what he says.

The gun shoots well. The headspace seems as if it might be excessive (slightly high primers) but I will have a smith check that out as well. I already have a very nice and clean 20” pre 64, so this one is a duplicate for me and I would like a trapper. I am going to take it to my gunsmith and see what he says. I will mention the option of purchasing a barrel already cut (thanks northwoods) and see if that would be a cheaper/better route to go.

Again, thanks to all for your friendly and excellent advice.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I hadn’t thought of the magazine capacity. If 16.5 inches gets me one more cartridge than 16.1 inches, then I’ll do that. I suppose a gunsmith can cut down the barrel and re-crown it and cut in a dovetail for the front sight. I will have to take it to him and see what he says.
I had a gunsmith do that for Puzzle One's barrel. I was a little apprehensive about getting the dovetail in the right place.