OT-Marlin Bolt Rifle In 25-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BestLever
Levergunner

OT-Marlin Bolt Rifle In 25-06

Post by BestLever »

Hello Riflemen-I know you Riflemen are mostly lever gunners just as I am. However, Marlin, if they get their stuff together, will be shipping out their new bolt rifle in 25-06 in mass soon. this is a caliber that I use and like a great deal for deer, both mulie and blacktain here in Oregon. If you are interested in bolt rifles you probably have read the stats on the Marlin bolt rifles and have an opinion. I would like to hear from those folks who are using them in any caliber and those folks who have formed opinions on the design of this rifle. I'm likely going to buy one unless convienced by good argument otherwise. Life is good, Bestlever
Life is Good,

BestLever
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT-Marlin Bolt Rifle In 25-06

Post by J Miller »

BestLever wrote:Hello Riflemen-I know you Riflemen are mostly lever gunners just as I am. However, Marlin, if they get their stuff together, will be shipping out their new bolt rifle in 25-06 in mass soon. this is a caliber that I use and like a great deal for deer, both mulie and blacktain here in Oregon. If you are interested in bolt rifles you probably have read the stats on the Marlin bolt rifles and have an opinion. I would like to hear from those folks who are using them in any caliber and those folks who have formed opinions on the design of this rifle. I'm likely going to buy one unless convienced by good argument otherwise. Life is good, Bestlever
Best Lever,
I've looked at Marlins 2008 catalog and read up on their XL7 Bolt rifles. From what I can tell Marlin has copied Savages 110 model almost verbatim. I won't say that's good, bad, or indifferent, it just is. I haven't seen or handled one yet.

Currently I have one of Marlins older MR-7's in 30-06. I like the rifle in spite of the fact it came without iron sights. ( You might have seen my posts on it here. ) The MR-7 is the same as the XL7 in that Marlin pirated all the good features from Remington, Winchester and probably others when they designed it. It feels good to me. The action is smooth, the trigger is nice and crisp, not to heavy and it feels right when I shoulder it.
My only gripe is the lack of iron sights. I'm a dedicated iron sight person. And it appears Marlin doesn't offer that option on the XL7 models. To bad really, not every body uses scopes.

If I were in the market for another bolt rifle I would look at what all the manufacturers offer and then decide. I've often found that what others dislike, I like, and visa versa. So I don't let others preferences make my decisions.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

bestlever, i too have been thinking about a 25-06, and for less than 300 dollars i dont think a person could go wrong... i have no personal experience with the xl 7 but have heard great things about its accuracy, and you also cant beat the range of calibers it is offered in.... what is your experience with the 25-06 caliber? good to hear from ya :mrgreen:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I have one in 30-06 and am quite pleased with it. It's hard to find a better bargain for the money. It will consistently put 3 shots of the Federal 150 grain blue box stuff into 1.25" at 100 yards. The stock, while not a McMillan, is definitely one of the better synthetic stocks out there. The action cycles nicely and the trigger broke right at 3 lbs right out of the box. Overall, it isn't quite the same as my old Remington, but I won't hesitate to hunt with it either. Besides, it a lot lighter.
Well done is better than well said.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don't hold your breath waiting for a XL7 in .25-06! I talked with Marlin, and the story is they shipped 100, but nobody knows where they are. The people at Marlin said the .25-06 is "temporarily on hold" as they work out problems with the button used to rifle the .25-06. They also said they expected to get some out around Jan. of next year!
I've had a XL7C in .25-06 on order since May, and I just called my dealer to cancell it, and change the order to a .270 XL7C Tuesday. Tired of waiting, and don't want a .25 until they are sure the bugs are worked out of the rifling.
I love the caliber for where I hunt, (Eastern Oregon) but I think the .270 will be close, and a better choice as a combination deer and elk gun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BestLever
Levergunner

Post by BestLever »

Hello Riflemen-Thanks for the input. This rifle sounds like it has several attractive features. It is mentioned that the rifle is light which would be somewhat of a change for me. That is if a synthetic stock can get my attention. I have a habit of removing synthetics and replacing them with laminated stocks. I guess I have been packing wood too long and it's hard to get over it.
But I might with the right stock.

How a gunsmith can produce 30-06 and 270 barrels with no problem and have trouble with a little smaller hole beats me. I suspect something fishy there. Perhaps not and I'm going to wait a bit and see how it plays out. also, if these barrels are screwed on with a nut similar to the Savage then it seems that a fellow could buy one and then just the barrels for calibers that fit the bolt face. Say, 30-06, 270, 25-06, 280, and so on. If the barrels were bought from Marlin they should headspace perfectly when screwed down. Or a guy could have barrels made by his favorite gunsmith if there isn't some tricky little latch, catch, notch, or otherwise to make the task difficult and expensive. Just thinking. Life is good, BestLever
Life is Good,

BestLever
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

With the barrel nut, the XL7 is infinitely adjustable, so it will always headspace correctly. Rollstamp might be off slightly, but that wont hurt accuracy.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The latest Shooting Times article on the Marlin bolt gun said that they will be coming out with a wood stock model shortly. I may get interested then. :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I bought one in .270 for my nephews last June at a Sportsmans Warehouse in Denver. They are thrilled with it, and may be hunting with it this weekend.