How do you organize your reloading (a real Levergun topic!)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

How do you organize your reloading (a real Levergun topic!)

Post by AJMD429 »

(My calendar says it's almost time for the "Too-Many-OT-Posts" post, so I thought I'd get this one in quick before the deadline :roll: )

I've reloaded off and on over the past 30 years, but mostly when in high school a long time ago. Now I have several thousand brass total which includes .223, 6mm, .308, .44, .444, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, etc. I had saved some of the cardboard boxes and styrofoam inserts but they mostly deteriorated and I've thrown them away.

Now I have the prospect of loading a few up, deciding on what works, and then loading a BUNCH up, in several cartridges, some I'll shoot rarely and maybe only from one gun, some I'll plink with, some I'll hunt with, etc. I'll have to store them in something, and label them somehow, plus keep track of my reloading data.

I've thought about using my 'ballistic software' that can track load data, but too many computer crashes have eaten up time over the years, and I think I may want to just use 3x5 cards or a notebook. I don't know.

What are some of the ways you guys have found useful to keep track of load data, label, and store different reloads?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How do you organize your reloading (a real Levergun topic!)

Post by mikld »

In addition to my data stored on my computer, I use a 3 ring binder to keep reloading records. When I load up a box full I stick an Avery lable with all the data on the plastic box (my wife prints them up for me). When at the range I keep a small notebook (or just write on the target) and with a good load or one I want to make note of, I peel the lable off the cartridge box and attach it to the target. When I get home I transfer the data to the Binder and trim the target and punch holes to insert into the binder. So-so loads are sometimes not included but the good ones and the really bad ones are surely recorded. Later I will transfer the data to my computer. I list Case, Bullet, Powder, Primer, Crimp, Number of times loaded, Other (wad, filler, bullet lube, etc.). If I had a Chrony I would include that data too. Also on the Lable is a line for comments.

In my binder I also keep targets from my 22 rimfire testing. Each rifle and pistol get a separate page with 10 - 12 groups from different 22 loads ( manufacturer, size of bullet, hp or solid, etc.).

With all my reloading data handy I don't have to be sitting in front of my computer to design or evaluate a load or cartridge.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Organization? What's that? Where can I buy this fabled substance? :?

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I use the plastic 50 rnd boxes from midway for storing my loaded ammo. Relaoding ladels are avery shipping labels. Here is a cool site for making your own labels.

http://hwsportsman.net/ReloadLabel.html
One of our computer wizards should be able to fix us up with leverguns.com labels based on this templet.

My reloading data is stored on a hard drive and in a three ring binder.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

I put everything into a word and spreadsheet format. I have a word document for every gun where I list every round fired and everything I have done to the gun from cleaning to parts replacement. I also make comments and notes to myself.

In my spreadsheet I keep everyround loaded and comments for each round on a seperate tab per caliber. I serial number each box (mtm box) for each load so I can track it from load to firing. I make comments on the loads in word document for each caliber and how things work.

This has been quite nice and while it is a bit of book work it has kept me from making mistakes and repeating experiments.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have a cabinet for my bullets and dies and little special tools and dies. A cabinet for the brass, one for loaded ammo, one for the powder, primers and load books and then there's my bench with dies, bullets, trays, scale, presses, etc. - varies with what I'm currently loading. I've been at it for a while and have managed to accumulate somehwere around 40-50 sets of dies.

I have a binder with targets that I've shot and the loads are listed on the targets - and I've got one that has Stoney Point oal for different rifles and bullets - point of land contact.

Here's a pic of the handloading corner of my shop...

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I have a spiral binder that I write down records, but typically I load the same thing over and over.

I use the plastic boxes from Midway. I but a roll of blue "painters tape", tear off a strip, and stick it on top of the box. I use a Sharpie pen to write on the tape what is in the load. When I get ready to load again I normally look at the tape on top of the box and repeat that load.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

awp101 wrote:Organization? What's that? Where can I buy this fabled substance? :?

+1

My ammo is stored in various containers. From the caliber specific plastic boxes to zip lock bags.
As for my load data I record every thing I load, but I don't have any specific method of recording what I've tested and how it's worked. I used to, but I've lost it. In the many moves I've done in the last 10-15 years that list of test loads and their results has vanished.
And since I've been stuck with indoor 25 yd ranges the last 9 years what do I really need to test? Nearly everything I shoot is capable of hitting the target out to 25 yds.
When I can get somewhere that I can shoot at a real distance then I'll worry about my test results again.

Joe

:lol:[/quote]
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The old fashioned way---with index cards and notebooks. I guess the 'puter would be OK but I just don't see a need to fix something that ain't broke. As far as organization is concerned, its an obsession with me. This is part of my gunroom.--------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I keep the final data on the computer, in a database. I don't have that many loads, but it quickly gets overwhelming when you experiment a little.

As far as the cases go, I move them from place to place depending on their status. Cases that need to be cleaned go in one place. Cases that have been cleaned go in another. After they're prepped, then sized, they go in another place for priming. Cases that are primed and ready go in an ammo box, and then I pull from that to load what I need.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm just not that organized, but here's how I do it.
I keep a 3 ring binder by calibers, with hand written info on loads, plus which ones worked best in what rifle.
As for loaded ammo, I simply put a piece of blue painter's tape on each hard plastic box, with the specs on it, including date, caliber, powder, primer, bullet type and weight, and velocity. I can easily peel the tape off if I want to use the ammo boxes for other calibers.
I keep all my dies above the bench, all my brass in plastic containers under the bench-labeled, and bullets and powder in a locker. Loaded ammo in another locker.
That's about it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sixgun wrote:The old fashioned way---with index cards and notebooks. I guess the 'puter would be OK but I just don't see a need to fix something that ain't broke. As far as organization is concerned, its an obsession with me. This is part of my gunroom.--------Sixgun

That's nice. I aspire to a set-up like that. :D :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
Every time I reload, I put down when, how many and components of what I have done. I usually do testing to find a favorite load and stick with that. It is all in in a reloading manual that I started in 1964, computers are nice but have not found a need to keep record of what I have done on them. Naturally, properly labeled ammo boxes are highly recommended!!! :mrgreen:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

sixgun, its like looking into a time machine... :shock: :shock: :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OSOK and Hobie,
Thats 33 years in the making. I like everything "old".----except medical technology :D -------------------Sixgun

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

O.S.O.K. wrote:sixgun, its like looking into a time machine... :shock: :shock: :D

Man, that's great!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Seeing O.S.O.K.'s and Sixgun's reloading set-ups is making me feel a little inadequate right now. Going to have to tell the spousal unit that I need to expand! :wink:

You guys can divy up my gear after she kills me! :shock:

I've got a corner of the basement for my stuff. I'm still using a bench I made when I had a lot less room, mainly because I like it so much. I'd posted about it here before - it has the removable section that I premount different presses and such on, makes switching between them fast and I don't need as much room for a whole bunch of presses on a bench.

I put all my reloads into MTM 100-count blue boxes (for the handgun rounds) and 50-count for the rifle. I use a combination of Word and Excel stuff to track my reloading, make box labels, and note how rounds work in various firearms. Too much time invested in this method to switch over to a ballistics program, though if I was starting new that is certainly the way I'd go! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for lots of good ideas and encouragement. I guess it is time to dive in.

I think my first task will be a notebook - sort of a 'custom reloading guide' for just the cartridges I use, and after making that, I will see what powders appear over and over and try to boil it down to just a few to cover most of the bases. Then after loading a couple dozen 'test' rounds to see what works best in at least my favorite gun, I'll try those loads in larger quantity and verify if they are adequate in any other similarly chambered ones. Once I settle on one or two loads for a cartridge, I'll load a WHOLE BUNCH of them 8) and move on to the next cartridge.

I like the idea of a notebook with a page for each gun, too. Maybe an off-the-bench target with it's favorite load scanned and in the notebook as well.

I guess I'll have to start keeping track of how many times different lots of brass have been loaded and keeping them separate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some, like 9mm and .38 and .357 and .45ACP I've bought lots of reloads in, and unfortunately those brasses are mixed in with factory once-fired ones :oops: - I assume all I can do there is look carefully for stretch marks and cracking and discard those cases?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sixgun wrote:OSOK and Hobie,
Thats 33 years in the making. I like everything "old".----except medical technology :D -------------------Sixgun
That's not what I meant :oops:

What I was trying to say is that it's like looking into my future - you have about double what I've got from what I can see :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use an accounting ledger for my data. I like using index cards . But you can't find a metal recipe box anymore just those plastic ones that don't stay shut.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

How do you guys find anything with everything so well organized? :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Marlinman,
I am surprised! For a collector like yourself to have such beautiful displays of your Marlins and singleshot rifles at the Oregon Collectors Association and then have that mess! ha! :D But...........that is just like my brother-in-laws loading outfit and he knows where everything is. I bet you do too!-------------------BTW, I see lots of goodies in your room--actions--old Dupont powder cans,old scopes. I could spend some time down there :D

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Sixgun! Yea, I try not to disturb the mess too often, or I wont be able to find anything! Most the storage is on the other side of the room where I keep my parts bins, screws and bolts, stocks, etc. Under the bench is my footlockers where I keep accessories like old Marlin and singleshot papers, trinkets, etc. The spendy trinkets like old catalogs, and rare items go on the shelves of the safes. My room is only 12'x15', so it's pretty tight down there!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Here are a couple of photos of my reloading set-up.

Ok, it looks like I'm anal because it is so neat/organized but that's how I like to keep it. I have to keep the bench top pretty much clear as I now use it for my work-station to tinker with/work on my guns.

I don't keep my reloading data/notes on my computer. Instead I use my own make up reloading log and keep track of everything by hand.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

O.S.O.K., is that the mighty Ammo-Master Auto I see there? I though I was the only person to have bought one of those things. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Senior Levergunner

Re: organize your reloading?

Post by 2571 »

Dear Sixgun & O.S.O.K,

You can and should seek help. Times have changed and no one will think anything less of you for seeking professional help. Even Tony Soprano recognized this. And, such mental health care may be covered by your health insurance.

Wow! I load from a milk crate. and I cast on my tailgate when I can find my stuff.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

This does not show the shelves or the storage area, but this is my workspace. I try and keep it very clean and tidied up. The problem is encroachment by others in the house.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:O.S.O.K., is that the mighty Ammo-Master Auto I see there? I though I was the only person to have bought one of those things. :wink:
Yes it is - and a finicky girl she is. Loads good cartridges if you stay on top of it - but its overly complicated and easy to screw up if you don't pay attention.

I'd buy a Dillion if I could do it over - but I don't even remember if they were in business when I got my ammo master.

And RCBS still makes replacement parts... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Peter M. Eick wrote:Image
I like that big white fancy brass-cleaning machine you have in the foreground; is that a Maytag or Kenmore...? :lol:

neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I don't have a picture of my reloading bench,but, it looks pretty disorganized (I can always find what I'm looking for).
As far as records ,I keep a seperate file on every pistol/rifle which includes targets with reloading data noted on them.The data includes distance/date/bullet/powder/primer/fps and any other notes I might write down.

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My setup looks closest to that of Ysabel Kid.

I have only about 7 feet of space in one side of my garage for the actual reloading. I have cabinets on all three sides, but the cabinets on one side have a recessed workbench area with cabinets above and below. I use lift-off hinges to take off the top doors to expose my powders, dies, and other stuff, secured by a simple keylock to keep children safe.

The bench holds my presses and powder measure equipment, etc. The cabinets below hold larger stuff, like a vibrator, trays, media, and the like.

Then, along other walls, I have smaller versions of the clear plastic boxes that Ysabel uses, each with a label, like:
.38/.357 bullets, .44/44Mag bullets, .270 bullets, .45-70 bullets
.38/.357 brass, .44/44Mag brass, etc.

Loaded ammo is kept in individual boxes of various types (sometimes used cartridge boxes, frequently CaseGard and other brand ammo storage boxes). The boxes have Avery labels that identify each load by number and date loaded (explained below) and a brief description, like:

Load #0073 6/7/08
173 gr. Lyman FP-GC 311041
H4198 18.0gr / Win brass
Est. 1596 fps / Accuracy (JdeF)

Each different caliber is contained in a .30 caliber machinegun (lockable) ammo can. I purchased some small, very cheap brass padlocks, six in a set, with the same key, from a retail store (Target) so that I use a minimum number of keys. The object is to keep children, notably my grandson, from having access to ammo and stuff; not to stop the Beagle Brothers from burglarizing my stores.

I use a database of my own creation, but a spreadsheet would do. Also, there are many cheap and even free reloading databases available on the Internet; many are excellent. I just want it my way, and I'm a programmer.

I can then enter certain data, and my db makes calculations for me (such as muzzle energy, Taylor Knockout Index data, BC an SD that is stored with each bullet). I also want a copious amount of notes so that I can refer to a load a year or so later and remember what was significant or important regarding its characteristics or usage.

Each load has a specific number, like "0030," that I can look up for further information either on the database or on the printed out book (created as a report) that I constantly update. Again, a spreadsheet printout is easy to put together, and very useful, if you aren't "into" computers and programming. Either way, I keep a three-ring binder with the loads so that I don't have to depend upon a computer if things go south, electronically speaking.

The database also tracks bullets on hand, brass on hand, cost of inventory, etc. - updated when I load or purchase a component. In that way, I can limit my purchases to large lots to save freight and HazMat fees when I am running out of stock.

Example of my database:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have both, a MS-Excel spreadsheet to track loads (and performance) AND the MTM notebook (a gift that works). My space is crowded, too. I suppose I need up-to-date photos...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson