.45-70 loads with IMR 700-X??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

.45-70 loads with IMR 700-X??

Post by alnitak »

I checked the Hodgdon site, but nothing is listed. Anyone have any experience with 700-X for .45-70 Gov't loads? Are there any loads listed in your manuals?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: .45-70 loads with IMR 700-X??

Post by Sixgun »

Nobody wants to touch this one. :D 700X is a very fast pistol powder and is totally unsuitable for rifle cartridges except for speciality loads by an advanced handloader. Keep away from it. It could make you eat steel--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hi-Score 700X was origionaly a shotgun powder used for target loads. I have shot a hundred pounds of it over the years. It is ok in some pistol loads but if used in large capacity cases you had better know what you are doing or as Sixgun said you could be eating steel. Also very easy to double or triple load such a powder in the large .45-70 case.
If you want to play and have fun with the old .45 Govt., try 14-15 gr. Trailboss under 300-350 gr cast bullets. Super soft recoil and will shoot tiny clusters . :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice and will follow it to a tee. Time to buy a different powder.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail