Lookin' for leather lever wraps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Lookin' for leather lever wraps

Post by 1886 »

Try saying that 5 times fast. I called Coyote Cap a couple of times but no return call. I know I have seen them on the forum once or twice. I would appreciate a point in the right direction. 1886.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lookin' for leather lever wraps

Post by cshold »

They are very easy to make for oneself. :)

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Yep...do it yourself.

I used a simple "noose" wrap on this one. Ideally, the leather would have been longer to cover more of the large loop. However, I find I can slide this one back and forth so there's no buildup underneath the wrap. Also, I put a few drops of gun oil on it to both color the wrap darker and make it a little more pliable (only had the rawhide you use to re-string a baseball glove).

Basically, you make a loop and lay it on the lever, with the open end at the trigger guard and the closed end towards the stock. [Of course, you could do it the other way too.] If you have a long enough piece of leather, just make the loop cover as much of the lever as you want. With a fixed piece of leather, you may need to adjust.

Begin wrapping at the trigger guard, and work your way back to the closed end of the loop. When you reach it, insert the end of the leather into the closed end of the loop. Then pull on the tag end of the leather, back by the trigger guard to close the loop on the other end of the wrap. Snip and you're done.

A couple of points. Don't wrap too tight. Yoiu have to pull leather through leather around corners/curves -- too tight and it's difficult. You can leave about an inch extra on the stock tag end. Then when you pull the other tag end, you can bury the closed end of the loop and the other tag under the wrap. You can also snip the tag end by the trigger guard to be short enough to fit under the wrap. I didn't do mine this way since I didn't want to create the little bulge that would result from burying it. Because I had a fixed length of leather, I had to re-wrap a couple of times until I got the loop length such that there was only a small tag end to go in the loop before I pulled. I wanted to maximize the area covered.
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have some on my website, http://cowboy45special.com/lever_wraps.html That get good reviews from shooters using them. Sold about 15 of em at a SASS match this weekend.
Certified gun nut
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I did a little how-to when I modified my 1895M, it is in the one sticky.
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.com ... _mods.html
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Gary,

I did Salvo's wrap trick on the 92/480 I bought from you.

Litttle B' still smashes the stuff out of my hand but it helps.
Easy to do too.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

alnitak wrote:Yep...do it yourself.

I used a simple "noose" wrap on this one. Ideally, the leather would have been longer to cover more of the large loop. However, I find I can slide this one back and forth so there's no buildup underneath the wrap. Also, I put a few drops of gun oil on it to both color the wrap darker and make it a little more pliable (only had the rawhide you use to re-string a baseball glove).

Basically, you make a loop and lay it on the lever, with the open end at the trigger guard and the closed end towards the stock. [Of course, you could do it the other way too.] If you have a long enough piece of leather, just make the loop cover as much of the lever as you want. With a fixed piece of leather, you may need to adjust.

Begin wrapping at the trigger guard, and work your way back to the closed end of the loop. When you reach it, insert the end of the leather into the closed end of the loop. Then pull on the tag end of the leather, back by the trigger guard to close the loop on the other end of the wrap. Snip and you're done.

A couple of points. Don't wrap too tight. Yoiu have to pull leather through leather around corners/curves -- too tight and it's difficult. You can leave about an inch extra on the stock tag end. Then when you pull the other tag end, you can bury the closed end of the loop and the other tag under the wrap. You can also snip the tag end by the trigger guard to be short enough to fit under the wrap. I didn't do mine this way since I didn't want to create the little bulge that would result from burying it. Because I had a fixed length of leather, I had to re-wrap a couple of times until I got the loop length such that there was only a small tag end to go in the loop before I pulled. I wanted to maximize the area covered.
Nothing like the leather from an "old" baseball glove. :)
My scope covers were made from the leather from my old Little Leauge (1970's)
baseball glove. :wink: