Hate the Henry?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Hate the Henry?

Post by reo »

I've noticed little said about the newer Big Boy rifles under the brand of Henry around here. :roll: Is their a silent protest against them I'm not aware of? :wink:

I have one in 45 Colt. I used it last year with a RCBS 45-270 last year to take a deer. I was impressed with the smoothness of the action, the fine trigger, safety features and great accuracy. Fit and finish was very good. My problem was it wouldn't cycle the Keith bullet when seated in the crimp groove. So I had a single shot. I considered seating on the top driving band. Not an option. Nor was using a different bullet. I tried to sell it several times locally and on our classifieds. No luck. Everyone that called locally wanted to know if it was a real Henry for under $600. Right. :lol: Yeah and maybe it was the one Lincoln fired on the White House lawn.

Well I got a new RCBS 45-255 the other day and cast some bullets. Comparing with the 270 grain I realized I would have the same problem. This time I decided to see why the design of the rifle was causing it to hang up. The carrier has a stop on it that prevents the bullet from going any further back and positions the round so the bolt will pick it up. Well I filed on this a little so it allowed the round to go further back on the carrier but not far enough to prevent the bolt from positively picking up the round. Now it feeds perfectly. :D It may take the place of my 30-30 this year, again.

So why so little on the Henry's... weight, looks, price, bad experience, sight options, just hate it for using the name of that great old rifle, not used to looking at them yet, or... (By the way I have seen the posts on the Henry Special Edition topic and I agree, just wanted to hear a little more on these rifles.)
Last edited by reo on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hate the Henry?

Post by Rusty »

I keep lookin at 'em but to me they just plain ugly. I can't get past that part.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

When I look at the pictures I see what you mean. When I hold it and shoot it, it is a different story. I felt the same about the Blackhawk when I first saw them until I got one and shot it. Now life doesn't seem right without one. The Henry is starting to grow on me the same way.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

No protest that I'm aware of. They're just too darn ugly for me.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

reo,

I've handled the Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt. Although it did balance well empty, it was WAY too heavy for me for anything but range shooting. I also do not like the idea of loading through a slot in the magazine like you do a .22. It's a big PITA.
As for the action, it's basically a Marlin copy internally.
What other folks think about the Henrys I don't really know, but I think it's mostly that it's just too far from the traditional for many.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I believe this topic was discussed pretty in depth a few months ago.

I'm sure a search will turn it up.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

J Miller,

You got that right. The loading tube does detract from function and one more thing to get around to get to the rifles finer points.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

reo,

I own a Henry H001L, "Lever Carbine", .22LR rifle. It is a great, accurate, reliable, smooth, wonderful gun.

I do not see a conspiracy here. The Big Boys are not bad guns. The Big Boy is sort of in its own niche, and does not appeal to everyone. They are not to my taste, so I do not have one. My OPINNION: they are a bit heavy; they are a bit expensive; they are too "gold"; they are a little out of the mainstream, despite the traditional, Marlin-like inards.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm with Hagler, and like my Henry standard carbine H001 - as IMO it's a lot like my Winchester:

But the Golden Boy .22's and the Big Boy centerfire's just don't appeal to me - regardless of how smooth, etc they are - as I find them too gaudy and clunky ( I once owned a GB) for my personal tastes.
But then, I don't wear a bunch of gold jewelery, like some other folks do, either.

YMMV, but there's no conspiracy against them - they just don't appeal to every taste.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm not a Lever Rifle historian, so, isn't the Henry Big Boy a copy of the Henry 1860 Brass Frame Repeating Rifle? Is the reproduction correct or close to the original? If not please correct me. :?:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Pete44ru, I have really toned down on my gold wearing since this last range session pic, the chains were getting caught in the action, so I had to go to a levergun, the Henry seemed the only logical way to go... :lol:

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

mikld wrote:I'm not a Lever Rifle historian, so, isn't the Henry Big Boy a copy of the Henry 1860 Brass Frame Repeating Rifle? Is the reproduction correct or close to the original? If not please correct me. :?:

Not even close.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

ROTFLMAO ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

reo wrote:J Miller,
You got that right. The loading tube does detract from function and one more thing to get around to get to the rifles finer points.
Actually, I like the "loading tube" when it comes to returning from the hunt, because our "no long guns loaded in the house" rule means I have to stand there and cycle as many as 10 rounds through the gun, vs. just pulling out the tube.

On the .454 Casull Puma - you get BOTH options... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Not a conspiracy, just that people are honest and give their opinions on them which I think leads to people not wanting to post about them...

I personally don't like:

1) the name (think it's silly)
2) mag tube is weird on a centerfire
3) weight
4) look kinda weird to me

I do like their golden boy and their other rifles. The ones that I've handled had the smoothest action I've ever experienced on that type of firearm. I like their frontier model (whatever its called - the one with the steel bands and no plastic) a lot.

This one:

They just messed up on the Big Boy IMHO.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i was wanting one for a while. did alittle research and found the gold wouldn't turn to that soft antique/aged brass color. i do like that bras on the older originals, but everyone i spoke to that had a henry said that it isn't real brass, but it is an alloy or something to that effect. i also handled one and it didn't feel right. i was going to do a little smithing on one to soften the hard edges, but since it wasn't real brass, i didn't know how it would turn out. lastly, it was a lot of money for what i thought it should be.

on the record those i know that own one really like thiers.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Not a conspiracy, just that people are honest and give their opinions on them which I think leads to people not wanting to post about them...

I personally don't like:

1) the name (think it's silly)
2) mag tube is weird on a centerfire
3) weight
4) look kinda weird to me

I do like their golden boy and their other rifles. The ones that I've handled had the smoothest action I've ever experienced on that type of firearm. I like their frontier model (whatever its called - the one with the steel bands and no plastic) a lot.

This one:

They just messed up on the Big Boy IMHO.

+1 OSOK.

More than anything I can't get over the weight...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

I'm not a Lever Rifle historian, so, isn't the Henry Big Boy a copy of the Henry 1860 Brass Frame Repeating Rifle? Is the reproduction correct or close to the original? If not please correct me.
Howdy

About the only similarity the Henry Big Boy has to the original 1860 Henry is that they both have a lever, a trigger, and a hammer. All similarity ends there.

My problem with the Henry company is their advertising is misleading to the point of dishonesty. I will never buy any of their products because of the falsehoods and half truths in their advertising.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My brother has a Big Boy in 44 cal. He loves it. I have shot it. Smooth. The one thing he we didn't like was it would not feed the 250 gr LSWC's. Too long. I ran them through my Winchester with no trouble. Something as smooth as that Henry, and good lookin like my Winny would be a real winner.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I have one of the .22 H001 I think it is. Smooth as hot butter , and on target right out of the box. I also spoke to one of the brothers who own the company by phone . Very friendly and wiling to answer you questions. Thats about what I can remember from then. I like mine , don't care for the plastic, but I don't care for any of the new plastic handguns being made today. And this little doll really shoots great. Wanting to give it to my grandaughter in a few years. If I'm not still around , it's all set up that she gets this .22 and a couple of bricks.............................Mutt
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

aw better name "HENERY J" :D :D :D