OT: Aaaah, what a lovely smell

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Aaaah, what a lovely smell

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just packed a couple of freezer bags with hops from the dehydrator. I've got three big clumps of Cascade hops on my garden fences and this year, the cones were especially fragrant and abundant. Now to find a RELIABLE recipe for five gallons of good, bitter ale. Remember when big cans of Blue Ribbon malt could be found in every little grocery store?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT: Aaaah, what a lovely smell

Post by gamekeeper »

I can't help with the recipe but I sure would like to help with the drinking. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yeah, I sure do, Bill. A local brewery, Sierra Nevada, has a several acre plot of Cascade hops. Reminds me of the "old days", when hops were commonplace around here. All are gone now, and have been for 30 yrs. I miss the smell of drying hops in the late summer and early fall.

Do you ever pick up any nice arrowpoints around the area? I have made a few trips up your way over the years for the purpose of artifact hunting. Good luck in your brewing efforts.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hops used to be THE crop in my grandfather's area of upstate NY. Can't remember the last time I've seen any other than in photos.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hops were an important crop here, too, but began disappearing after World War II. Here's a peek at my guys:
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Growing up in the Treasure Valley of Idaho hops were grown everywhere along with mint and alfalfa. The three mingled together make for a scent that the nose never forgets. :D

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.