What's the best movie for Old West gun viewing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: What's the best movie for Old West gun viewing?

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

JB wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:Any of the newer westerns will have more period correct guns in them and that is always nice.
Perhaps a good posting would be which movie has the worst gun viewing. One of my favorites is A Time for Killing with Glen Ford, George Hamilton, Max Baer Jr (Jethro) and others. It's a civil war picture where the soldiers are armed with trapdoors, 92 Winchesters and Colt peacemakers! :roll:
"Shenandoah" starring Jimmy Stewart was a civil war piece which showed Union troops using Trapdoor Springfields. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

game keeper wrote:I have just watched an old (1940) black and white movie called "Arizona" staring Jean Arthur and William Holden.
The movie set in the 1860s had more authentic firearms than any other I've ever seen, even original speed loaders for a Henry rifle...
It's available for DVD rental at Netflix - "Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction and Best Original Score"

That's one I have never seen. I am awaiting its arrival. Thanks, Game Keeper!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JohndeFresno wrote:
game keeper wrote:I have just watched an old (1940) black and white movie called "Arizona" staring Jean Arthur and William Holden.
The movie set in the 1860s had more authentic firearms than any other I've ever seen, even original speed loaders for a Henry rifle...
It's available for DVD rental at Netflix - "Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction and Best Original Score"

That's one I have never seen. I am awaiting its arrival. Thanks, Game Keeper!
I have been looking for it since I visited the "Old Tucson Studios" which was built for the movie,
Let us know what you think of it. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

Lots of scenes with Krags in "The Wind and the Lion" - pretty good movie!
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

I must admit that I am biased and I tend to like any movie that has a big Sharps rifle in it so a couple of my favorites are,
Quigley
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Young Guns
Lonesome dove (my favorite western of all time)

I always like when a specific gun gets mention like the Spencer rifle and the Smith and Wesson Schofield in Unforgiven, or that 8 gauge double in Appolosa.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

clampdaddy wrote:I must admit that I am biased and I tend to like any movie that has a big Sharps rifle in it
The Sharps rifles in "Arizona" used by the Apaches used Linen Cartridges, supposedly but still unusual to mention that fact in a movie. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

clampdaddy wrote:I must admit that I am biased and I tend to like any movie that has a big Sharps rifle in it so a couple of my favorites are,
Quigley
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Young Guns
Lonesome dove (my favorite western of all time)

I always like when a specific gun gets mention like the Spencer rifle and the Smith and Wesson Schofield in Unforgiven, or that 8 gauge double in Appolosa.
Burt Lancaster puts his Sharps rifle to good use in "Valdez is Coming" (circa 1971)
This is the first movie that I can personally recall the use of the Sharps rifle at distance, love at first sight. :D

Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

bought the Selleck western trilogy set and out of those three, Crossfire Trail certainly has the most interesting firearms (and I think the most entertaining of the 3), though there is an 1887 lever shotgun in Monte Walsh. Evans in Crossfire trail, and Spencers in Last Stand.

If you like your Martinis, then certainly Zulu (1964) and this version is the best presentation of Roarke's Drift
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Zulu

Zulu Dawn has many more weapons to look at, but isn't as good a movie, IMO
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Zulu_Dawn

and yes, The Wind and the Lion is in the top 20 all time greats.
TR has a '95
Last edited by bdhold on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Re "Colt .45", that is Alan Hale Sr., Alan Hale Jr. was the Skipper. They not only looked alike but had an almost identical acting style. I agree those are rolling block pistols, very unusual in a western. My parents took us to see the movie at the drive-in when I was very young and I've often thought about it but have never seen a copy avaliable. If I remember the drive-in opened in '52 so I would have been 7, they showed a lot of Randolph Scott westerns. For some reason I was calling them Colt .54s the next day till my mother corrected me. Let's test my memory: The "good guy" falls in a river (horse stumbles?). The ink on important papers in his money belt runs and they are unreadable. Someone has his Colt .45s (a lawman?) and he is trying to get them back. Am I even close?

There were cast aluminum prop guns avaliable and probably most of the extras carried these if they wern't drawn. They were avaliable for $2.00 each mail order in the very early 50s and my father bought a 1911 Colt for my brother who was 2 years younger than me. We both thought it was unbelieably heavy compared to our cap guns. I still have the 1911 along with a luger I picked up at a gun show in the 70s. There was a large selection of handguns avaliable, mostly later stuff and I don't remember any cap & ball revolvers. I used to see these at shows and flea markets mostly Colt double actions and generally with the hammer spur broken off. The finish was simply dull black paint.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hawkeye2 wrote:...The "good guy" falls in a river (horse stumbles?). The ink on important papers in his money belt runs and they are unreadable. Someone has his Colt .45s (a lawman?) and he is trying to get them back. Am I even close?...
To the best of my memory, Scott is a salesman with Colt prototypes. He loses his papers and the gun or guns fall into the hands of a stage robbery gang, and he has to deal with the main bad guy to get them back, restore law and order, and I guess ride off into the Sunset, after scratching the girl's ears and kissing his horse.

I checked Amazon and found the DVD trilogy of Randolph Scott Westerns which include "Colt .45". This is the one that I rented from Netflix on DVD. It is available for around $9 from this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Colt-Tall-Riding- ... B000HT389O

"Lanky icon Randolph Scott saddles up for three Westerns making their home video debut. He buckles up a brace of six-shooter "hand cannons" in Colt .45 (Side A) to chase a desperado who uses similar weapons to terrorize locals. No one messes with Texas - not in Fort Worth (Side B). Gunsmoke and glory combine as newspaperman Scott backs up his fiery editorials with a blaze of bullets when lawlessness threatens. Finally, Scott is a Tall Man Riding (Side B) - and brawling and shooting - as he rights an injustice involving a gambler's attempted land grab. The well-worn Stetson Scott wears is his "lucky" hat, and Tall Man Riding marked the 27th time Scott wore it in a movie. We tip our hats to one of the genre's all-time greats!"
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.