SAA in .44 Spec vs .45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Old Savage wrote:LeverBob, I enjoy the balance of this one too.

OS...simply outstanding performance, but I'm not surprised. Good shooting Pard & a beautiful sixgun too.

The 44 Spec. IS one of the magic combinations...right now I just don't have a use for one.

LeverBob
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

The 44 Special SAA would make a good "one-cartridge" compliment to a 44 Mag levergun. That's what I would choose it for.

bogie
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

Aw Heck, I couldn't decided either so I asked Hamilton Bowen to build me a gun that combined both......My 44 Paradox...it started as a 45Colt and the barrel was replaced with 44 that was back bored to .452 tapering down to the last inch with rifling at .429.

255WFN .452/20gr 2400 comes out of the barrel at .429 dia @1205fps!! When he told me this and I gasped he said "That's the choke"

#6 shot/8grs of Hp38 @10yrds

#6 shot/8grs of HP38 @20yrds

:D
Papa
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thanx guys, for your input...........I think I'll stoke the MAG cases with the SPL-level stuff, to avoid that residue you often hear about. jd45
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

The beauty of the .44 special is the guns made for it. In S&W the .44 spec most models made for it have the pencil or tapered barrels. In .44 mag or .45 colt they have the straight heavy weight barrels. The mountain guns are the exception. But in the mountain guns except for possibly a few very early ones I belive they come with the hated saftey locks and are round butted. The clyinders are also a tad shorter also saveing a little weight. I own 4 old s&w,s and 2 colt saa,s in .44 special. I also own a model 29-2 and a 25-5, and a colt saa in .45 colt.
In colt saa,s the chambers are usualy too sloopy in .45 colt but are right in .44 special.
In both s&w and colt the .44 special can safely be souped up to the low end of a .44 mag. And it will do 98% of what most .44 mags really do and in a sweetheart of a gun due to the lighter weight.
I own many s&w,s and colts to compare them with. Probley my model 24-3 and my colt saa both in .44 special are my favorite boonie guns. Earlier in this thread I showed a picture of my 6 .44 specials. Here are my 2 sweethearts of the bunch.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Slick13 wrote:
Malamute wrote:Again, you're talking factory ammo level.
I'm just going by what the reloading manuals and powder companies give me. There's one group of loads safe for SAAs and another group meant for Rugers and TCs. I'll stick with the loads they list for SAAs in my USFA Rodeo. If I need more, I need a different gun.

I've never read Keith's books, but doesn't his .45 Colt SAA blow it's top in one of them?

~Michael
Michael, By all means get and read Six Guns and Hell I Was There by Keith.
You'll never regret it.

In Six Guns he related that he was shooting sized down 300gr 45-70 bullets over a case full of black powder in his .45 Colt SAA when a "week" case blew out and shattered the loading gate. He got a cut on his thumb and the Colt was repaired and put back into service.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bogus, saw Cary yesterday but no chance to talk. Very nice 44s you have . My favorites!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Old savage, he called me today. That guy has went through more guns then a shooting magazine! We used to live together 30 years ago.
Here is a unbecomeing picture of us back in those days. I am on the right and red is on the left and another character friend in the middle.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, he's cute but I wouldn't live with him :wink: and yes, it is one thing after another with him, he was selling the other day - 30 Herret and 7 mag I believe.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Regarding .45 Colt-caliber Colt SAAs & clones, in Paco Kelley's article entitled, ".45s.....Small......Big......& Tall", he lists some very stout loads with 2400; H110; & H4227, which the guns apparently suffered no ill effects from. He does stipulate that these were NOT to be used in the Blackpowder era Colts, tho.........only modern Colts & clones. I think the factory stuff is set to such an anemic level is that they're afraid it'll find its way into one of the BP guns. Just my 2 cents, jd45
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Papa wrote:Aw Heck, I couldn't decided either so I asked Hamilton Bowen to build me a gun that combined both......My 44 Paradox...it started as a 45Colt and the barrel was replaced with 44 that was back bored to .452 tapering down to the last inch with rifling at .429.

255WFN .452/20gr 2400 comes out of the barrel at .429 dia @1205fps!! When he told me this and I gasped he said "That's the choke"

#6 shot/8grs of Hp38 @10yrds

#6 shot/8grs of HP38 @20yrds

:D
Papa
Papa that's the kind of test I love. Great pictures and groups with different loads. Keep on! What more can you ask for? :D
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Old Savage wrote:jd - you will lose a little of the enjoyment of the balance with the longer cylinder and heavier barrel but you will enjoy the lighter load.

Fred,
Is this beauty a S&W M24? If so Skeeter Skelton will owe you a smile for sure!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My favorite 44 Spl. Colt Shooting Master made in 1932 with an extra fitted cylinder for the 44-40. This thing shoots!------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes it is Ravenman and it goes with these. 44 Spl, 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 45 Colt. One of my favorirte reads is Good Frends, Good Guns and Good Whiskey. Had some Johnny Walker Green at Xmas - just little mind you.

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Old Savage

You got the right inspiration!
And in the Book "I remember Skeeter" you would get some more and we would have the chance to see some more cult guns. The past is an other country.