OT - Historically correct movies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Historically correct movies

Post by KCSO »

Been there done that and spent a lot of time talking to a fellow who supplies guns for the movies. Here's why John Wayne carried a M92. Lawyers! The saftey rules are so stringent and there is so much pressure o the prop department that they only want guns that are easy to blank and easy to check. The thought of loose black powder and a muzzleloader treeify them and for good reason. Al it takes for somone to die for real is for someone, anyone to drop a piece of rock down a charged gun. At least with ctg guns you can open the breech and blow down the tube for ever shot. The rules and precautions on say Last of the Mohicans was about the most stringent ever used in filming. Everytinme a M/L misfired it was an hour delay while the gun was emptied, cleaned and recharged for another take, then the prop man had to hold on to the gun until it was ready to be used. Since even the extra's were getting $50-75 and hour and there might be 20-or more people in a scene figure the cost ves. JW fighting the civil war with trapdoos and M92's. The B movies couldn't afford to be too authentic.

As to Larry McMurty, how many times did Louis have a Sackett notch someone's ear with a 44-40 at 400 yards? Never let histroy come into conflict with a good story!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I always like to see the weapons and prop be historically correct. I can understand changing the plot a bit, as the real event is often just so complicated and drawn-out. Composite characters are also sometimes necessary to keep it all understandable while maintaining brevity.

What irks me is when something is presented as historic, and the plot bears no relation to the truth.

I am also irritated when a real person did something really notable and worthy of praise, and in the movie, his character is not shown performing that act or actions. The movie "Zulu Dawn" is an example. The character of Mr. Verecker, played by Simon Ward, rode out of the main camp a horse, with the two lieutenants that were trying to save the colors. He is pinned when his horse falls, and as the Zulus run away with the colors, he shoots the one carrying the colors, so they fall into the river. The movie does not reveal his fate, but it implied he might have made it to safety. In reality, he caught a loose horse in the camp, which would have enabled him to escape the massacre, but then a lower-ranking soldier, a native, IIRC, approached and said the loose horse was his. Mr. Verecker, a blue-blooded son of a lord, nobly relinquished the horse to the lower-ranking soldier, and died in the massacre, on foot.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Ed Harris's new APPALOOSA is about as authentic as they come, from guns to saddles to clothing. Can hardly wait for it to come out on DVD so I can check out a couple details I may have missed watching it on the big screen the first time.

But only a dedicated masochist would lug along a 36" 8-ga. double, that weighs in at around 11 pounds and swings like a corral gate...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just a late thought...

Watch the SADDLES... Look for Blevins-type buckles on the stirrup leathers. A definite no-no...

Quilted/padded seats and/or low cantles with extreme 'cheyenne' rolls... GAAKKK!!!

Mini-Vibram boot soles... :roll:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Old Savage wrote:I believe Wyatt threatened to turn Ike's head into a canoe with a Smith and Wesson in Tombstone. Clint Eastwood uses a number of period pieces in his films.

I enjoy seeing the "mistakes" as a point of hollywood movie making.

I recall one contrail in and old cowboy movie. The reality is they are movies which are fake to begin with.

.......which would have ruined a top break in one whack!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

bogus bill wrote:Go see "september dawn". Its about the mountain meadows massacure in 9-11-1857. (the 1st 9-11). The mormans and indians massacured a wagon train killing about 122 people. Jon Voight is in it. I have studied the incident as much as possible and the story line is accurate. Of course there was a love story built into it that I dont belive happened.
My wifes stepmother is a direct decendant of John Doyle Lee, the ONLY person exicuted for his part. Hence my intrest in the event. He deserved his exicution, but was the scapegoat for others that should have been shot too.
The movie is accurarte as far as it went but there was far more to the story. About 20+ kids that were to young to remember in the party were adopted by local mormans near cedar city.
This last thanksgiveing my wife and I went to southern california by my stepdaughters. Her fiances mother was there as was my stepmother. They never met before. In conversation we found that the woman was a decendant of one of the orphans saved from the massacure!
When I was engaged to a girl in Riverton, Utah, her grandparents thought they were gonna convert me to being a Mormon, so they took me downtown to see the movie about the migration. Her grandad was kinda upset at my comment about there being a lot of history they left out!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Besides all of the gear gaffs in movies..There's a couple of other outrageous gaffs that have stuck in my memory that make me chuckle.. In some Cowboy & Indian movie.. two braves talking..one has a Brooklyn accent!! The other was a cop TV show.. The M.E. recovers the bloody bullet from the dead victim...Only trouble is, the camera zooms in on a complete 3006 round with blood on it!!!

I HATE it when they pull out a bullet, don't bother to measure it, then proclaim that it came from a .357 magnum, .38 special, 9mm, or, in a recent case, I saw, "from a .357 GLOCK!!!"
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I also don't remember seeing very many .45-70 carbines which many Civil War veterans would have brought home, and were fairly common for a while. I guess they were not cool enough for Hollywood.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Travis, I believe he was going to shoot him but I did wonder where they came up with some of the phrases - whether historical or creative writing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Old Savage wrote:Well Travis, I believe he was going to shoot him but I did wonder where they came up with some of the phrases - whether historical or creative writing.
Yeah, I guess one of those old soft lead bullets up close COULD put a canoe track in someone's head!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Pillar, I dont belive the 45/70 existed durring the civil war yet. That came out a little later. I once owned a sharps 50/70 carbine that was converted after the civil war. They were a popular conversion. The main caliber was 58 or 52. The sharps were sleeved.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

They say that if you look at many of the early non-talking Westerns you will see a lot of authenticity because the actors were being advised by men like Charles Siringo, who lived as actual Cowboys/Lawmen during the Day. Seems to be so.

The stuff that doesn't belong in modern movies bothers me too. But, with movies like Unforgiven, Open Range, Ride with the Devil, Lonsome Dove, Tom Selleck and Sam Elliotts
many movies....etc....we are pretty fortunate to have the movies that we do. The bar has been raised significantly since the 70's, authenticity wise. Hope they continue with the trend.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Just no jet contrails etc.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

bogus bill wrote:Pillar, I dont belive the 45/70 existed durring the civil war yet. That came out a little later. I once owned a sharps 50/70 carbine that was converted after the civil war. They were a popular conversion. The main caliber was 58 or 52. The sharps were sleeved.
.45-70 dates from 1873...
Regards

Buck

Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

The more knowledgable I become the less enjoyable movies become, unless the story or the charactors are compelling. With a strong charactor or good story I can over look inappropriate props or impossible physical actions, otherwiseI spend the whole movie picking it apart.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

bogus bill wrote:Just no jet contrails etc.
When you get to picking on stuff like that, you're just being TOO picky!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Gun Smith wrote: My second peeve is, of course, the 250 round magazines on sub machineguns, or the Colt SAA 26 gun.
I always wanted me one of those fancy 26-shot Colt's!!! :wink:
You mean an H-bar? :D
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

KCSO wrote:Been there done that and spent a lot of time talking to a fellow who supplies guns for the movies. Here's why John Wayne carried a M92. Lawyers! The saftey rules are so stringent and there is so much pressure o the prop department that they only want guns that are easy to blank and easy to check. The thought of loose black powder and a muzzleloader treeify them and for good reason. Al it takes for somone to die for real is for someone, anyone to drop a piece of rock down a charged gun. At least with ctg guns you can open the breech and blow down the tube for ever shot. The rules and precautions on say Last of the Mohicans was about the most stringent ever used in filming. Everytinme a M/L misfired it was an hour delay while the gun was emptied, cleaned and recharged for another take, then the prop man had to hold on to the gun until it was ready to be used. Since even the extra's were getting $50-75 and hour and there might be 20-or more people in a scene figure the cost ves. JW fighting the civil war with trapdoos and M92's. The B movies couldn't afford to be too authentic.

As to Larry McMurty, how many times did Louis have a Sackett notch someone's ear with a 44-40 at 400 yards? Never let histroy come into conflict with a good story!
That idiot ALWAYS had a cowhand riding a studhorse, and continually diving off of it, because he saw the sun shining on a rifle barrel or front sight. What a moron.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Buck Elliott wrote:Just a late thought...

Watch the SADDLES... Look for Blevins-type buckles on the stirrup leathers. A definite no-no...

Quilted/padded seats and/or low cantles with extreme 'cheyenne' rolls... GAAKKK!!!

Mini-Vibram boot soles... :roll:
What about all the nylon ropes, rubber horn wraps, and rayon cinches? Also, rubber slickers, cattleman crease or gambler style hats, or that idiotic "Tuscon" shape that Stetson puts out! .......I believe you and I could ruin a perfectly good western!

Did anyone else vomit more than once while watching "Hidalgo"?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

i dont pay a lot of attention to the periodness of the guns... but where do they get off on throwing all those guns on the ground. :evil: :evil: i have to hide my xlr 45-70's muzzle so it doesnt upset him :mrgreen: and promise to him i would never do that to him... and i know im not the only one packing when watching these movies :lol: my wife thinks im nuts :mrgreen: shes prolly right :D
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

HATCHETTJACK wrote:i dont pay a lot of attention to the periodness of the guns... but where do they get off on throwing all those guns on the ground.
Yeah! And along the same lines, how about the complete and total disregard for even the most rudimentary efforts at safety, muzzle discipline, etc.

I also am surprised at how cast lead bullets apparently will not penetrate even the flimsiest barrier.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

Otto wrote:
HATCHETTJACK wrote:i dont pay a lot of attention to the periodness of the guns... but where do they get off on throwing all those guns on the ground.
Yeah! And along the same lines, how about the complete and total disregard for even the most rudimentary efforts at safety, muzzle discipline, etc.

I also am surprised at how cast lead bullets apparently will not penetrate even the flimsiest barrier.
yeah, the ol hide behind the water trough trick
:evil:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

HATCHETTJACK wrote:
Otto wrote:

I like the standard stagecoach chase, where the bad-guys sling about 150 rounds at the coach from behind, and somehow manage to hit the driver, but nobody inside gets a scratch. Aren't stagecoach body panels made of thin wood veneer, almost like paneling?

Also, were horses bred differently back then? Everybody rides at a full gallop every where they go, for miles and miles. I'm pretty sure that would kill the weaker stock we have nowadays.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

HATCHETTJACK wrote:
Otto wrote:

Actually, that works.... if there's water in it! What gets me is when some guys hides behind a poker table, like in "The Shootist", and it absorbs dozens of bullets, with no injury to the guy hiding behind it. It's even worse in war movies, where you know they're using rounds that would penetrate, like 9mm and .30 cals.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Otto wrote:I like the standard stagecoach chase, where the bad-guys sling about 150 rounds at the coach from behind, and somehow manage to hit the driver, but nobody inside gets a scratch. Aren't stagecoach body panels made of thin wood veneer, almost like paneling?

Also, were horses bred differently back then? Everybody rides at a full gallop every where they go, for miles and miles. I'm pretty sure that would kill the weaker stock we have nowadays.
Stagecoaches were typically built from very thin Poplar, so paneling would be a rough comparison. Another thing is, most folks couldn't hit a stagecoach driver from behind while sitting on a horse, even if the horse and coach were standing still, as the front of the coach sits lower than the rear.

As for running the horses everywhere, that always annoys me, too. The horses were bred just the same back then~stud on top!

Every time I've ridden off into the sunset, I ended up riding back home in the dark!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

One to watch for.. In the second version of "Stagecoach" , the one that stars Stephanie Powers as the leading lady, in one scene at a stage stop, during some conversation between the actors, if you watch the far away hillside, you can see a white pickup truck driveing down a road, dust and all... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Travis Morgan wrote: As for running the horses everywhere, that always annoys me, too. The horses were bred just the same back then~stud on top!

Every time I've ridden off into the sunset, I ended up riding back home in the dark!
Here's another question: why does shooting the rider make the horse fall down?

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

They shot the horse. Horses are a hell of a lot easier to hit. :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Travis Morgan wrote:They shot the horse. Horses are a hell of a lot easier to hit. :lol:
First of all, that would be against the Code of The West. Second, I'm talking about when a rider arches his back and throws his arms in the air, as though shot in the back, and the horse suddenly noses into the ground, or rolls over like a cockroach but jumps right back to his feet.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Why is it that people from the east insist on telling everyone else about the "code of the west", or the "cowboy way"? If someone's trying to kill me, shooting their horse is one of the LEAST things I'll do to them, if at all possible.

As someone who's had horses go down with me, you definitely try to "get loose", and land as far as possible from the horse. A broken leg(or arm or head) is darned serious, when there's no doctor waitin' in the stands.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Travis Morgan wrote:Why is it that people from the east insist on telling everyone else about the "code of the west", or the "cowboy way"? If someone's trying to kill me, shooting their horse is one of the LEAST things I'll do to them, if at all possible.
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about moooviiieees.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ohio was the old "west" - the frontier as it were at one time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Old Savage wrote:Ohio was the old "west" - the frontier as it were at one time.
I thought anywhere outside of Manhattan was considered "frontier country."

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I can just imagine the entries in your diary from a journey west:

Crossed the mighty Mississipee today. No cell coverage. Haven't seen a Starbucks in the last 200 miles. It's rough, out here on the frontier!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I have never been to Starbuck's, and I don't think there is one within 40 miles. I thought we were having a good-natured talk about movie "reality." If you feel the need to start hurling insults, then I'll just say, "Have a nice day."

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My journey west originally took me from the east side of the Delaware river to the south side of the Susquehanna river in Wilkes Barre, Pa, then back across the Delaware to NJ again - a brief stint in Louisiana at Ft Polk then back to NJ but then (and you might be psychic) to the western shores of the (you guessed it) "mighty Mississip" at Davenport, Ia. Then to Californy then back to Ia. Then back to Ca. with a honeymoon trip coast to coast twice Maine to Ca. sandwiched in - lets not forget trips to Minnesota and Wisconson. All the while -------- looking for "the Golden Arches" or the Burger King signs off the freeway exits. :D

No Starbucks back then and still no cell phone. Wife won't allow it.

But I do have $1.86 left on a Starbucks gift card given to me by my personal barrista.

Still trying to find out what a Tucson style hat is.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Otto wrote:I have never been to Starbuck's, and I don't think there is one within 40 miles. I thought we were having a good-natured talk about movie "reality." If you feel the need to start hurling insults, then I'll just say, "Have a nice day."
Man, you YANKEES get riled easy! The previous comment was in response to your comment about "anything outside Manhattan". No need to get bent. And, FYI, NRA or a bunch of gun owners needs to buy Starbuck's, so I won't feel so darn guilty every time I get a White Chocolate Mocha latte'.

Savage,

The Tuscon is similar to your hat, but with a little bitty brim. It's put out by Stetson, and I've seen 'em in the Shepler's and Drysdale's catalogs.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

OMG! http://stetson.com/hatforobama.php

Another reason for me to keep wearing Resistols!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Travis Morgan wrote: YANKEES
There you go with the insults again.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Otto wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote: YANKEES
There you go with the insults again.
:D
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Travis, thanks for the link, mine is a Dobbs Fifth Avenue of New York City. :D lucky at the races, picked 4 of the first five winners :D and had two dollars on the nose of each won 94 dollars minus the 8 to bet the last four races. Last time my wife won 90 I wore a hat from Catalina Island and picked a series of last place horses. :o
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just checked here and I have a Rancher 6x in Mist Grey and a Morgan (we call that "all hat no cattle").

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That Tucson looks like a modified fedora to me.
Old Law Dawg
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I am watching The Good, the Bad and the Ugly right now. In the scene at the hotel, when Blondie is cleaning his revolver, it sure does look like a nylon brush he is using in the cylinder chambers.
Last edited by Otto on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I'd noticed that, too. I can't think of anything else that woulda been available back then that would look like that.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Anyone notice the Hell Bitch in Lonesome Dove is a gelding.

I have also noticed in a few modern non western movies they like to use the word cordite for modern gunpowder.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I think my favorite still has to be the wristwatch-wearing Roman soldier from Spartacus... who is also carrying a decorated Pompeii pattern Gladius (79 AD) rather than than the more appropriate Gladius Hispanicus (200 BC to 20 BC)...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Yup.

Reminds me of a time when I was working as head wrangler for an outfitter. We had one kid named Cody guiding for us. Fresh out of the Marines, and a real arrogant idiot. Well, every morning, he'd constantly ask me which saddles went with which horses, which horse was which, etc.. ....which is fine, for the first week. After that, you need to start learning. We were a coupla months in.

Well, one morning, I was already pretty busy, and he asks me, "Is this Ruthie?". Ruthie was the only female mule in camp, and he darn well knew it. The hunters, the boss, and everyone but the cook was standing around when I asked, "Does it have a pecker?!?!" .......silence. Laconically, I inquired, "Well?" "No", he grumbled. I replied,"Well, then it sure as HELL ain't Ruthie!"

After that, he started to learn.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer