When I Was Visiting Paco He Gave Me A Box Of .22 Long Rifles.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

When I Was Visiting Paco He Gave Me A Box Of .22 Long Rifles.

Post by JimT »

The most unique factory .22's I have ever seen.
IMG_6790.JPG
IMG_6788.JPG
IMG_6793.JPG
They are loaded with a 60 gr. bullet. To keep the OAL within specs they use a really short cartridge. Paco said he never chronographed them but figured they were 500/550 fps. He said they were accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: When I Was Visiting Paco He Gave Me A Box Of .22 Long Rifles.

Post by Pat C »

Interesting ,wouldn't mind trying them in my old prewar Savage pump. 29
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Tried them a few years ago in my 39a and got lousy results. I've got a box of them and used my Hanned Line 22lr tool on them to flatten the nose out and got much better results this time around. You might want to try a FEW rounds in whatever firearm you want to try them in and see what results you get. If lousy, try one of Paco's 22lr tools and try again. BTW, those are 22 short cases with a really long bullet. HTH
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I keep hearing about Paco's bullet enhancing tool ,but exactly what does it do ? Ive seen the flat point referenced but is it swaging the bullet to larger tighter slugging ?

Someone to show before and after results?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pat C wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:26 pm I keep hearing about Paco's bullet enhancing tool ,but exactly what does it do ? Ive seen the flat point referenced but is it swaging the bullet to larger tighter slugging ?

Someone to show before and after results?
https://leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Jim, I tried them a few years back and they were all over the place…….i was shooting them out of an 1890 Winchester in 22 L.R….my bet is that Winchester in those days used the slow twist for the .22 short……likewise in an 1885 Lo Wall with a 30” barrel…dead quiet from that rifle.——006
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They are really quiet, but unless your 22 LR is very fast twist, be aware they may yaw and keyhole quite a bit. Not a big deal for popping a rabbit in the head at 25 yards though.

ALSO I'd not try firing them in a suppressed gun for fear of a baffle strike for the same reason (unless you have a really fast-twist barrel); besides, they are truly so quiet that a suppressor couldn't add much.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

JimT wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:56 pm... figured they were 500/550 fps...
They are still being made. The listing at Grafs says 950 fps and "Recommended for use in barrels longer than 20 inches." I assume the recommendation for rifle barrels is to get the fps up enough it might stabilize.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup you need a faster twist, I've shot them in multiple rifles and less than stellar accuracy.
Someone was making a fast twist barrels for 10/22s.
They are quiet though.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I found them to be quite effective for removing the heads of rabbits. Short range from a 10/22 they were devastating.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Been years since I saw a box of those -- about the time I first saw Colibris.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks everyone! It's neat to learn some new things in the shooting world.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've got a box or two of those squirreled away, along with some Colibris as well. Haven't been up north long enough to try them out in years. I like the concept, but so far haven't had a chance to put them to use. Comments about fast twist make me curious about using them in a .223 with a 1-8 or faster twist. Don't have a 22lr to 223 adapter though...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:13 am I've got a box or two of those squirreled away, along with some Colibris as well. Haven't been up north long enough to try them out in years. I like the concept, but so far haven't had a chance to put them to use. Comments about fast twist make me curious about using them in a .223 with a 1-8 or faster twist. Don't have a 22lr to 223 adapter though...
That makes sense, because I believe to the extent that there is a standard for the 22LR, it is 1:16 or something similar. Certainly nowhere near as fast a twist as most 223s.

Somewhere I have a 22 LR to 223 Rem adapter that has just enough angle in the hole/chamber/barrel drilled into the device (basically looks and feels like a 223 cartridge made out of bronze or some metal along that line). It was in a miscellaneous parts/junk box I picked up at a gun show probably 40 years ago. Of course it doesn't have any brand on it and I'm not even sure but what it wasn't homemade, but if so is done very professionally.

I've seen others that were two pieces that screwed together over a 22LR round with the bullet actually protruding from the front of the fake cartridge and the back part of the fake cartridge had a firing pin that would get hit by the one in the firearm and translate the impact to the back of the 22LR cartridge. Obviously it wasn't as fast to reload but it would have been fun to have about 10 of them for use in a bolt action or break open 223. My little angled one-piece one most of the time had to have the case poked out using a short chunk of wire, or in my case I used heavy plastic line from a string trimmer, but it was still pretty cool. Every once in awhile it would fail to fire, although I'm not sure whether some of the time it wasn't just the crappy Remington golden bullet ammo I had a bunch of.

Then of course there are firearm-specific ones for the semi-autos. Somewhere I think I still have one for a Mini-14, and I know I have one that works in most AR-15s.

I always thought it would be cool to have a Ruger AC-556, using the 22LR adapter, to have three shot burst capability. In 1985, I had a friend who has a class 3 FFL who had two stainless steel folding AC-556s and he would sell me either for $1,400 or both for $2,500. Of course at that time in my life that was completely unaffordable. Of course now I wish I had bought both...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Interesting.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ll bet that would be a great load in a Winchester Winder Musket!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:46 pm I’ll bet that would be a great load in a Winchester Winder Musket!
They sure are………this one was made by Winchester using left over receivers from the military contract and was made in 1928. (barrel date)
in order to sell these late 1885’s, Winchester chambered them in L.R…..

This baby will pop the head off of a crow at 100 meters…….even standard loads are quiet.—-006

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:18 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:46 pm I’ll bet that would be a great load in a Winchester Winder Musket!
They sure are………this one was made by Winchester using left over receivers from the military contract and was made in 1928. (barrel date)

This baby will pop the head off of a crow at 100 meters…….even standard loads are quiet.—-006

I always wanted one of those my friend.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:18 pm

I have a complete receiver for one with flaming bomb , thought about some kinda target build
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I had a brick of those 20-some years back when they first came out, smacked a coyote square in the chest with one and he got up and ran off. They're pretty amusing to shoot in an auto pistol though.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:30 pm

I always wanted one of those my friend.
Thanks Scott….you can!…...it’s no museum here at Sixgun Land……..I’ve been moving guns the last couple of years and this one is on the list. I usually just drop them off at the auction house as it’s safe for me that way………I don’t need to be scrutinized as a dealer by the ATF ……that and I don’t trust the mail anymore. My stuff, which is hard to get and most always in top condition brings top dollar..no headaches..no ads, no back and forth…..they sell and a check arrives a week later.——-006
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a box of them, but I have never fired any. I did read a warning to never use them with a suppressor. I do know that most 22LR barrels won't stabilize them well, and they often keyhole (I read several reports to this effect). Still, and interesting concept. I wonder if the idea was to use them with a conversion kit in an AR-15?
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I've shot a few boxes with poor results over the years. they tumbled out of everything I shot them out of except a 39A Marlin. That rifle kept them in 1 1/2 inch group at 50 but a few holes looked oblong. I do know they are good for killing farm hogs with a point blank head shot.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I bought a Tactical Innovations (Idaho) a 16.5" 1-9 twist Ruger 10/22 bbl. The 60 grainers shown in Jim's post averaged 880 fps at 5 long steps from the muzzle and 60 deg F for 5 shots in that barrel. My notes indicate normal function and half inch group at 25 yds (with scope).

Still have several boxes of the ammo, but long since sold the barrel.

They are great for fire lapping 22 bbls.

Paul
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Yeah, they need a faster twist to stabilize. Think they were designed for suppressor use. I have a brick somewhere. Friend tried some in his 550 but no joy, but his wife tried them in her Ruger Super single six and they shot very well