A mate for my Rolling Block target pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

A mate for my Rolling Block target pistol

Post by marlinman93 »

We did the 2 day drive to Greeley, Co. for the CGCA collector gun show this weekend! I told myself I wasn't buying anything, but that usually jinxes the plan! Walking around is the mistake as I found another Model 1891 Remington target pistol to go with my A.Hubalek Rolling Block Model 1891!
This one was built by Hubalek's teacher, HM POPE, and marked with Pope's name on top of the barrel, and again under the forearm wood. It's chambered in .22Short, and threaded for a silencer for indoor gallery matches. Has a trigger over travel set screw, and skeletonized hammer. Couldn't walk away from the opportunity to own a Pope pistol to go with my Hubalek pistol!
Needs a chip in the grip repaired, but that wont be too hard to do.

Pope above, and Hubalek below:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: A mate for my Rolling Block target pistol

Post by Walt »

Nice find, Vall. Beautiful checkering...

Thanks for the pictures
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Man oh man, thank you for sharing. I followed your thread on the Hubalek (I forget where that was, was it here or the cast boolit forum? I'm Bazoo on cb.gl forum). Anyways, very awesome find and to have it by Pope is amazing. Thank you for sharing.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks guys. I was pretty surprised to see it on a table at the CGCA show, but if one could show up that's one show it would happen at. I've seen 4or 5 Pope barreled Rolling Block target pistols, and a friend has one that's documented as being used in the Olympics by a member of the US team. The Hubalek is the only one I've seen by Arthur Hubalek though.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That’s really cool!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:21 am That’s really cool!
Thanks Scott! I'm really tickled to have the combination of these two pistols and the connection between Hubalek and Pope on identical models.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)

Did you check the thread pitch? There are some odd ones out there for older guns.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:22 pm Very cool! 8)

Did you check the thread pitch? There are some odd ones out there for older guns.
The threads for the silencer are 1/2-20, which happens to be the same as most modern air rifles use for their "moderators". I think most modern suppressors are 1/2-28 size.

Started doing the chipped grip repair yesterday. It's a concave shape to the chip, so I dug through my file selection and found a large half round file that fit well to the break. Filed the bottom of the break until it was smooth, and then used some scrap walnut I had to shape a convex shape to fit the smoothed area. I usually just cut them flat across to repair, but that would have resulted in getting into the checkering a lot, and this wont.
Once I got the wood shaped to fit I selected a rat tail file the same size as the front tang and filed the notch to copy the tang's shape. Then I applied bullet lube to the tang, and glued the oversized filler in place. Wrapped it with a couple tight bands made from bicycle inner tubes and will let it set for a couple days before shaping it down. I just got a tough to find bottle of Tapaderas N35 Win. red tint, so I'll add that to the finish to mimic the reddish color Rem. used on stocks.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very neat pistol! Should be a lot of fun and great for any garden raiders with a suppressor in place.

Eric
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

yooper2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:09 pm Very neat pistol! Should be a lot of fun and great for any garden raiders with a suppressor in place.

Eric
Being a .22 Short I think any suppressor will make it pretty quiet. I have a decibel meter, and once I get the small repair done, and find a suppressor I'll do decibel readings with and without the suppressor to see how quiet it is. Anything under 58 decibels is considered to be acceptable I understand.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:16 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:22 pm Very cool! 8)

The threads for the silencer are 1/2-20, which happens to be the same as most modern air rifles use for their "moderators". I think most modern suppressors are 1/2-28 size.

Started doing the chipped grip repair yesterday. It's a concave shape to the chip, so I dug through my file selection and found a large half round file that fit well to the break. Filed the bottom of the break until it was smooth, and then used some scrap walnut I had to shape a convex shape to fit the smoothed area. I usually just cut them flat across to repair, but that would have resulted in getting into the checkering a lot, and this wont.
Once I got the wood shaped to fit I selected a rat tail file the same size as the front tang and filed the notch to copy the tang's shape. Then I applied bullet lube to the tang, and glued the oversized filler in place. Wrapped it with a couple tight bands made from bicycle inner tubes and will let it set for a couple days before shaping it down. I just got a tough to find bottle of Tapaderas N35 Win. red tint, so I'll add that to the finish to mimic the reddish color Rem. used on stocks.
Excellent! Looking forward to the final results. Good luck! :D

And yes, most modern suppressors handling 9mm and less use 1/2 x 28 inch threads, and for .45 and less use 5/8 x 24 inch thread pitch.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got the rubber bands off this morning and began the job of whittling down the donor wood. Started by cutting off the excess closely with my jewelers saw. Then used blue tape to mask around the filler so I could rough file down to the tape. Once I hit the tape all around I removed it and began using small blocks with sandpaper on them to continue the rest the way. Got it all very close and then just used sandpaper on my fingertip to get the final smooth finish.

I got some extinct Tapaderas N35 red tint at the CGCA show also, which made matching the color easier. Seems to be close enough that the repair blends in easier to the existing grip color.

I'll let the stain dry overnight, and tomorrow start trying to match the sheen with Wipe On Poly.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Outstanding!!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That will do just fine! Still waiting for a range report :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:19 pm That will do just fine! Still waiting for a range report :D
I think I've got 5 new to me old guns since last fall and still haven't found time to take them to the range! This retirement thing sure keeps me busy!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear you, I've got 4 different bullets to test in the 92/65 218bee, new powder to test in my 338wm, still need to find a load for my 7 Mauser...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh I feel so sorry for you fellas... :roll: :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Seems like maybe a year ago I told myself I was done buying, unless it was something really neat or special. Since I told myself that I've stumbled into more great guns and antique rifle scopes than I've seen in most of my life of collecting! So guess I just needed to tell myself that earlier!